Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Italian Fashion Question. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/italian-fashion-question-556953/)

cmcfong Sep 7th, 2005 04:24 PM

Italian Fashion Question.

No flames, please, I already tried to find the answer and failed. Fodorites, you are my last hope.

An Italian manufacturer, Leonardo, makes very elegant cotton dresses, many of which are shortsleeved with scoop neck. I have seen them in Bermuda; but, not elsewhere. The prices are in the US$500-800 range. Does anyone know of any stores in the USA which sell this line? In the alternative, are they available on line?
Thank you.

sandi_travelnut Sep 7th, 2005 04:35 PM

Is it Leonardo Valenti?

cmcfong Sep 7th, 2005 04:54 PM

I don't know, Sandi. The print of the dresses includes the name Leonardo scattered about. I looked at the websites for Leonardo Valenti but all I found was mens clothing. The dresses are exceedingly simple design with very colorful prints.

Patrick Sep 7th, 2005 05:22 PM

I know of a Milan designer whom I think is now in Brazil who goes by the name of Leonardo and his last name is, I think Chiusso (or something like that). He does some very flamboyant dresses in big designs and often very colorful -- not unlike 60's geometric and floral patterns.

Patrick Sep 7th, 2005 05:24 PM

To explain how I know of this, a good friend has a couple of those wild dresses and I know they are very expensive. She used to work and live in Sao Paolo and knew this guy personally, but he's supposed to be very famous. I wouldn't know. Not sure if this is the one you mean.

Dreamer2 Sep 7th, 2005 05:56 PM

I hate it when that happens!

Maybe you could call an upscale women's clothing shop in Bermuda and ask. ???

Maybe this place called Cecile's could help: "Specializing in European designer fashions, this upscale boutique offers a wide variety of exclusive labels from around the globe. 15 Front Street,Hamilton
Tel 295-1311 "

I've also been searching - unsuccessfully - for a jacket made by "CoVelo." Can't find them anywhere on the internet.

Let us know if you discover who and where carries your dress!

diddl_maus Sep 7th, 2005 06:01 PM

Try asking the question on the Caribbean forum, too.

LoveItaly Sep 7th, 2005 06:52 PM

Hello cmcfong (thank you for an uplifting and pleasant thread btw). I went onto Google out of curiosity and did not check the hundreds of websites but check several and came up with nothing, I hope you can find this designers clothes. I have had the same situation, it is so frustrating.
Best wishes. BTW, have you gone onto Google to see if you can find some Italian clothing manufacturer organization? Just a thought..and you could email them regarding the manufacturer.

cmcfong Sep 7th, 2005 06:56 PM

Cecile is just the place where I saw the dresses. I will be headed back to Bermuda in a couple of months...this is just another wonderful reason to go.
LoveItaly, thanks for the suggestion. I did just that and nothing so far.
Patrick, I will try for a Brazilian link next. Thanks for the idea.
Thank you, Everyone for helping.

Tulips Sep 7th, 2005 11:17 PM

I know the dresses you mean; a bit like Pucci, with geometric prints. Your best bet would be the better department stores; maybe Bergdorf Goodman in NY, or Saks 5th Avenue. Now that you mention them, perhaps they are due for a revival, with the current popularity of Pucci.

Tulips Sep 7th, 2005 11:24 PM

I was thinking of Leonard Paris (www.leonardparis.com), but maybe not?

crefloors Sep 8th, 2005 12:48 AM

Where's mk2 when we need him?!!!!!!!

m_kingdom2 Sep 8th, 2005 02:28 AM

You don't mean Leonard do you? If so there are a couple of seventies dresses by this designer on Yoox.com priced at around 200GBP so say 400USD. Personally I think they make a very big statement so you must be tall, slim, and very attractive to wear them. And they would go with a cutting edge haircut too. However, they're not evening wear, and people just don't dress like that for lunch anymore. Perhaps on a beach? But why would one wear that sort of dress to go to the beach?

As for Leonardo, I'm sure there are dozens of Italian clothing labels under that name or subtle variations of it. Stores that don't sell runway fashions from designers who show their pieces (i.e. ones for the older clientele) might stock pieces from Italy that could include Leonardo.

cmcfong Sep 8th, 2005 05:30 AM

Thanks, Everyone. I appreciate the help. Tulips and mk2, I believe you are correct. The clothing shown on the website is a great deal more dramatic than what I was seeking. However, the prints are very much in line with my recollection of those I saw in Bermuda.

Eloise Sep 8th, 2005 06:44 AM

I think you mean Leonard of Paris. If you Google <Leonard of Paris>, you will see many images of his clothing.

If I recall correctly, Leonard of Paris used to have a store at the corner of Via Condotti and Piazza di Spagna in Rome. It may still be there, but I cannot find it in the Italian White Pages.

It may also have been a store with another name that sold Leonard of Paris clothing...

Dreamer2 Sep 8th, 2005 08:41 AM

Cool! Another Fodors mystery solved!

What a gorgeous website... Although it looks like it hasn't been updated in a couple years...

So, cmc, are you ready to model #16 Summer Collection 2004 for us?! :)

cmcfong Sep 8th, 2005 08:55 AM

Oh dear, Dreamer, I don't think so. You will recall the poster who said the dresses look best on those who are tall, slim and very attractive. The poster also said a cutting edge haircut was essential.

I wasn't tall, slim and very attractive in my twenties. I sure as H... am not now. However,the hair cut is as close to cutting edge as one gets in Pinnacle, NC. It passed muster at the Feed and Seed downtown.

I have to admit my criteria for buying isn't whether the dress looks its best on me, it is whether I look my best in it.

Thanks for all the help, Everyone. Mystery solved and we had a little fun
along the way.

Tulips Sep 8th, 2005 09:06 AM

Just stick to Diane von Furstenberg. Very flattering, and much easier to find in the US (not to mention more affordable).

cmcfong Sep 8th, 2005 09:20 AM

I received this list of shops in the USA which carry the line from the folks at LeonardParis. Thank you to all who helped me with my query.
Capitol
6815-C Phillips Place Court
Charlotte, NC
T: (704) 552-8987

Carla Martinengo Boutique
8300 Preston Road
Dallas, TX
T: (214) 739-7076

Neapolitan
715 Elm Street
Winnetka, IL
T: (847) 441-7784