Italian Cosmetics and Perfumes

Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italian Cosmetics and Perfumes

I have seen so much on a certain shopping channel about Italian cosmetics and how wonderful they are but have never tried any. Am wondering if I should just wait and get some at the "source" in Italy. Will they be better? Less or more expensive than here? What brands should I look for. Will be in Milan, and Venice.

I did search on Fodors for this subject and didn't come up with much so if you know of a thread on this subject, I would appreciate it if you would post it here. Thanks.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 08:01 AM

Ronda, I don't have an answer but am interested if anyone else has info, for Florence and Rome as well. I know Versace has a cosmetics line.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 08:02 AM

Can't comment on cosmetics, Ronda, unless you will be in Florence. The Santa Maria Novella Perfuma is quite popular for bath and body products, as well as aromatherapy. If you're interested in that, I'm sure a text search would yield you some info on it.

I did want to let you know, however, that I posted a link you might like on your Venice Murano Glass thread.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 09:54 AM

Hi Ronda
I am italian and I have watched the hsn.com channel in the US. To tell you the truth among the italian bath and body brands they showed I only knew Perlier which actually is a French brand. I have never heard or seen in Italy those Elariia products, even though they say they are produced in Italy. Anyway, I DO love perfumes and bath products so I can give you some hints on where to go when in Venice. In Venice I stayed in the Cannaregio area and I have found along Strada Nuova two wonderful shops. One was called BOTTEGA VERDE which is pretty famous in Italy and the other which was right in front of it was Lush but I guess it is an english brand and their products despite GREAT are pretty expensive. Along Strada Nuova in Venice there is also a UPIM store where you will find some italian cosmetic brands (pretty good, I use them) like Deborah, Rimmel, Pupa and Ever.
Another suggestion would be to go to RINASCENTE when in Venice or in Milan (in Milan Rinascente is near the Dome, along the pedestrian street that runs along the left side of the Dome I guess it is called Via Vittorio Emanuele) and there you will find all major brands like Clinique, Estee lauder etc. If you go on along this shopping street you will also find YVES ROCHER, a french brand, but it has GREAT stuff, I always shop a lot there while in Milan.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 10:08 AM

Swalter, here you are some perfume shops in Rome (I live near Rome but I always buy my stuff in Rome):
At TERMINI STATION FORUM there is a wonderful SEPHORA shop where you will be able to find all major european cosmetic brands (even Bourjois which is sold over QVC channel in the US), and also BOTTEGA VERDE for bath and body products. On the upper level, near platform 21 there is UPIM where you will be able to find lots of cosmetics like Deborah, Rimmel, Ever, and also Max Factor, Revlon etc... good choice of products. In the shopping area of ROme, on Via del Corso you will find RINASCENTE for the top european brands like Lancaster, Versace, Armani, DIor etc, a Body Shop and if I remember well also a Limoni perfume shop.
Other places where to find beauty products are at Cinecitta' Shopping Mall and on Via Tuscolana (at the Oviesse department store there is another Limoni perfume shop)
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 10:21 AM

Battufolina- Thanks for the info-I love Sephora-we have one here but have shopped at the one in Paris and found the prices better on the French brands so hopefully the same will hold true for Italian brands.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Batuffolina. At least I will know where to look. Thanks, too, Statia. I will look for Santa Maria Novella Perfuma.

I am shocked there is a Lush in Venice! Suppose I shouldn't be. I saw one in NY, SF, and Vancouver (or maybe Victoria)!
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 05:14 PM

Hi again Ronda!
Here you are the LUSH shops you can find in Italy:
ROME: Via dei Baullari 112 (near Campo de' Fiori, pretty small but super perfumed)
FLORENCE: Via del Corso 23/r
VENICE: Strada Nuova Cannaregio 3822 and another one (I think it is newly open because last year I went to Venice and there was not) in San Polo 89/107 (near Ponte Rialto). My favourite soap that I bought in Venice's Lush was called Carmen Miranda, YUMMYYYYY.
Also along strada Nuova in Venice, pretty near Bottega Verde there is another bath and body shop that sells PERLIER products, usually at good prices.
There is a Body Shop also on Strada Nuova and another perfume shop called ARMONIE NATURALI at San Marco 4952. Last but not least a Ives Rocher shop in calle della Bissa - San Marco 5464.
Plenty of choice! Enjoy your shopping (I personally got crazy in Lush shop in Venice)

Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 05:40 AM

Here's the address, Ronda.

Profumo Santa Maria Novella, Florence, 16n Via della Scala

From what I remember, if you are facing Santa Maria Novella Church, go down the street on the left hand side of it and the Profumo will be on the right hand side of that street, not very far down.