Italian Ceramics - Where to Buy

Apr 4th, 2004, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Italian Ceramics - Where to Buy

Just thought I'd ask for advise on where to purchase ceramics.

I am looking for a wonderful selection of espresso cups. Thanks
Apr 4th, 2004, 07:33 PM

Where are you going to be?
Apr 4th, 2004, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

We are going to be in Rome for 2 1/2 days. Day trip to Orvieto on our way to San Gimignano for 7 days. Florence for 1 1/2 days.

We plan on taking day trips from the San Gimignano area - to Volterra, Monteriggioni, Siena and possibly villages along the S222. Our 7 days we are based in a villa 3 km outside San Gim and I haven't made definate plans so we can be flexible.
Apr 4th, 2004, 07:39 PM

Exactly--it all depends:

North: Nove, Veneto
Middle: Deruta, Umbria
South: Vietra sul Mare, Campania
Apr 4th, 2004, 07:43 PM

If you see something you love, buy it on the spot because you may not find it anywhere else. I speak from experience
Apr 4th, 2004, 07:46 PM

Deruta is probably the best place, but you'll find lots of ceramics in Florence (probably from Deruta).

I did buy a nice espresso set in Florence few years ago.
Apr 4th, 2004, 10:14 PM

You will find an enormous selection of Deruta ceramics in Orvieto.
Apr 4th, 2004, 11:07 PM

An interesting and practically unknown ceramics town is Castelli, in Abruzzo. See http://www.straughan.com/italy/castelli.html
Apr 5th, 2004, 05:33 AM

Betsey is right...if you see something you like buy it! You will not have a problem finding beautiful pottery in Rome there are a few in the Piazza Navona area that are good too.
Apr 5th, 2004, 08:57 AM

We will be in Orvieto on a Sunday. Are the ceramic stores open on Sundays? How about the funicular? Does it operate on Sundays? ThanX
Apr 5th, 2004, 10:30 AM

Montelupo just outside of Florence has a lot of ceramics in different styles. They also have a lot of manufacturers just outside of town. When I say manufacturers, they are handmade, but in factories. I agree, though, with the other posters.....if you see something you love....buy it.
Apr 5th, 2004, 03:01 PM

I'm not sure about shops being open on Sunday in Orvieto but if they are that is where I got some of my most beautiful pieces and at much better prices than in Florence or Rome. I can't remeber the name but the shop almost directly across from the Duomo is terrific!
Apr 5th, 2004, 03:46 PM

We just got back from Italy about a month ago. I found terrific ceramic places all over, but my favorites were in Siena, where I picked up several dishes for my mother. In Siena there were ceramic shops all over the place; if you walk around Florence you will find plenty as well.

Good luck and happy shopping!
Apr 5th, 2004, 03:54 PM

Siena has some lovely shops with high class ceramics from all over Italy...but I still recommend Orvieto, because they also have these types of shops (offering things from all over) BUT they also have several shops where artisans who still work from scratch offer their things (in other words, they throw their pieces, then paint them, as opposed to places where they just paint blanks. So in Orvieto you can find "typical" Italian pottery...or the the new creative, modern pieces. Deruta is famous for ceramics, but I didn't find any modern, truly new or creative stuff there. (Maybe I missed those shops?)

I think Mastra Anna in Orvieto makes handmade espresso cups...and decorated in modern designs you will not see anywhere else.
Apr 5th, 2004, 04:24 PM
mms

I found some wonderful pieces at two places in Florence. One is Migliori, on Via dei Benci, 39. The other place is Ditta Luca Della Robbia, on Via Del Proconsolo 19 which is between Piazza della Signoria and Santa Croce.

This second place I found in the "Born To Shop Italy" and was recommended by Frommers. I bought quite a few pieces and the store shipped them home to me. Wonderful packing! A year or two later friends were headed over and they went there and had items shipped back for themselves as well as myself and again no problems.
Apr 5th, 2004, 06:48 PM

If you get to Assisi, a little furthere is Gubbio where the whole hillside village is populated by ceramic shops that do beautiful work.
Apr 5th, 2004, 07:17 PM

I have to agree with all the comments about Orvieto - great selection, but the Cadogan guide for Tuscany and Umbria highly recommends Gubbio for ceramics and my wife and I bought some beautiful items here - it's also a great town with incredible views. Deruta is really basic stuff, I found, that you can buy in any store in Canada and the US - very mass market. Enjoy and I also agree to buy when you see it and love it.
Apr 5th, 2004, 08:03 PM

Deruta has lots of basic stuff, and then there are a few true master artists who have studios there. One is Antonio Margaritelli, whose work is not modern, but very traditional and stunningly beautiful. ( and expensive)
Another who has a good reputation, but I can't vouch for personally is Ubaldo Grazia.
Apr 6th, 2004, 06:45 AM

I'm sure you will find what you are looking for in Italy, but if you get the itch to shop after you return, here is a web site that might help: http://fidiaderuta.com/
Apr 6th, 2004, 07:27 AM

We purchased quite a few pieces in Siena as well, There is a shop on the Campo and one right behind the cathedral which had a particularly good selection. In San Gim. check out the marble fruit if it interests you, we bought some at my mom's behest and have seen it at Marshall Fields' here this spring for 10x's the price there!

Search this Thread