Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Italian beds look cold and hard (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/italian-beds-look-cold-and-hard-572518/)

julzieluv Nov 23rd, 2005 08:38 AM

Italian beds look cold and hard

I am going to Florence and Rome and doing the luxury hotel thing in the city, but I have three more days and I want a slow rural experience. Would like to be on a vineyard and just one requirement for a luxurious bed.

Important Question - what is up with the skimpy flat pillows and beds that look like rocks in the pictures? Is it just the US that wants fluffy 500 count sheets and multiple pillows?

rex Nov 23rd, 2005 08:45 AM

sheets? fluffy? how would that have any bearing to the thread count? what are fluffy sheets, anway?

maybe you mean that you would like blankets, coverlets or duvets that are fluffy? but sheets?

curious minds want to know...

Best wishes,

Rex

julzieluv Nov 23rd, 2005 08:48 AM

Fluffy as in lots of light soft sheets and definately a fluffy down duvet! I am surprised when I look at the pics. The bed is not even straight or made right. hmm.

francophile03 Nov 23rd, 2005 09:12 AM

I don't understand. You want something like an agriturismo experience yet you require luxurious amenities. Good luck in finding such a place. And are you asking this question to get interesting replies or are you serious?

Christina Nov 23rd, 2005 09:18 AM

It's not the US, it's you. I'm American and I detest thick pillows, and wouldn't need multiple ones. Far too many hotels have pillows that are too thick, and most of the time, I have to sleep without any pillow because of that. I don't know how people sleep with thick pillows without putting a crick in their neck. I think a pillow should be almost flat.

You can't have lots of sheets, just one on top and bottom, but I think 500 TC+ linens are quite rare in hotels. That's a pretty high thread count, and probably costs at least $100 a sheet.

Kath Nov 23rd, 2005 09:40 AM

I hate those "tall" pillows too. They are the worst. I like a truly worn out old feather pillow that gets flat as a pancake.

eroz Nov 23rd, 2005 10:04 AM

yes, I think you are right and you will only find the luxury you want in the U.S. Most of the agriturisimos actually have dirt floors and hay for your head to rest so you shld probably steer clear!

Catbert Nov 23rd, 2005 10:04 AM

A perfect example of making a new poster feel unwelcome.

Julz, I feel your pain. As much as I love traveling to Europe, beds are about the worst part of the experiece. Unless you stay in 4-5 star hotels, or American chains, expect smaller harder beds, flatter pillows (and fewer of them) and quite regular linens. The exception might be Switzerland, where you will have wonderful duvets.

francophile03 Nov 23rd, 2005 10:25 AM

Catbert, the o.p. is referring to the state of the beds in agriturismos specifically. There's a huge difference between agriturismos and luxury hotels.

Catbert Nov 23rd, 2005 10:31 AM

I understand. That's why I said that the only place you're likely to find the kind of bed she's looking for is in a nicer hotel. There aren't many of those out in the vineyards.

julzieluv Nov 23rd, 2005 10:34 AM

Thank you Catbert. It appears that only the chain hotels have the most important part of the hotel room right and I just wanted to have a more local experience and avoid the familiar without sacrificing comfort. From our perspective, most of the historic or local hotels have an uncomfortable and dingy look. It kind of looks like the beds, linens, and pillows are worn.

walkinaround Nov 23rd, 2005 10:44 AM

some agriturisimos are quite luxurious, however, they are not consistant and you never know what to expect. they might be very luxurious in some ways and have surprising "simplicity" (to put it nicely) in other aspects. for example, it is not ususual to find one without heat...even if they rent rooms through october. it's best to assume nothing and don't get upset with unpleasant surprises.

my advice is that if you have some "must haves" stick with an international style hotel.

Tiff Nov 23rd, 2005 11:01 AM

Have to say that when I first read "fluffy sheets" I laughed and thought, 'Now I have never heard of fluffy sheets before but I bet some poor folks have been TOLD SOME FLUFF in between the sheets before...'

Julzieluv, It was my experience during my journey to Rome & Florence that the beds were fine, pillows down filled and fluffy. Perhaps I just got lucky.

I am with Cristina, I would rather have a couple flatter pillows than those big, fat ones that fold your neck half way over! Good grief, it makes my neck hurt just thinking about it. Can you say, "Advil!" Yikes.

A wish that none of you ever get told any fluff.

:S-

rex Nov 23rd, 2005 11:29 AM

<<the only place you're likely to find the kind of bed she's looking for is in a nicer hotel. There aren't many of those out in the vineyards...>>

Is this seriously true? A "wonderful" (by all reports) place like Locanda dell'Amorosa doesn't have nice bedding? Villa Scacciapensieri? [admittedly, for the nice photos on the website, the bed(s) they show in their pictures looks underwhelming].

I've never stayed in one of these higher-end "romantic country getaways", but - - all joking aside about "fluffy sheets" - - I find it hard to believe that they don't have good quality linens.

And, in three posts, julzie... you have sure drawn a lot of "tactile" conclusions

<<beds that look like rocks...>>

<<bed is not even straight or made right...>>

<<It kind of looks like the beds, linens, and pillows are worn...>>

from some photographs! Can you really see "worn pillows"? On what website(s)?

The more common concern is that the photos look great, and prospective guests are worried that the reality won't live up to the pictures.

SuzieC Nov 23rd, 2005 11:32 AM

So? Camping is out of the question then...?

Catbert Nov 23rd, 2005 12:03 PM

So I guess none of you have ever been to "fluff and fold"?

Tiff Nov 23rd, 2005 12:13 PM

"Fluff is what I write for the paper."

Ba dum bum.

Five bucks for the person that can remember which movie that came from...

suze Nov 23rd, 2005 12:19 PM

Clearly this is an important question since it is the first and only from a brand new poster.

Since you want a luxurious bed not a worn and dingy one, I suggest you stay in high-end hotels within each city and take day trips rather than attempt to spend the night in the countryside.

janisj Nov 23rd, 2005 12:23 PM

&quot;<i>So? Camping is out of the question then...?</i> :D

julz: if you want a &quot;slow rural experience&quot; you are just going to have to enjoy whatever bedding the inn/agriturisimo offers. One or two nights w/ just normal bedding won't kill anyone except maybe the princess w/ the pea.

suze Nov 23rd, 2005 12:38 PM

julzie, Maybe you should make a new post and simply ask if anyone knows of 5-star luxury places to stay in the countryside near Rome or Florence?

That would be more likely to get you the information you're seeking, rather than the backwards way you posted this which comes across more as a complaint against typical Italian lodgings.