Italian alps and/or riviera

Jan 25th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Italian alps and/or riviera

we're trying to plan a trip to Italy in mid june early july. I'd like to keep close to the mountains, spend time around the italian riviera, bicycle, day driving trips. Any advice?
Jan 25th, 2007, 09:09 AM

The Dolomites are fabulous and some of the regulars on this forum have posted lots of great info in the past.

The Riviera is not close to any mountains that I remember but there are pretty spots. I stayed in Rapallo for a long weekend and loved it.
Jan 25th, 2007, 09:54 AM

You might be interested in the Torino (Piemonte region) area of Italy. Torino is where the 2006 Winter Olympics were held so it is very close to the mountains and it is about an hour and 45 minutes from Genova and about 3 and a half hours from the Cinque Terre. You can look at www.trenitalia.it for train schedules and www.multimap.com to get a reference as to the distances. Wherever you decide, have a great trip.
Feb 6th, 2007, 11:13 PM

The Riviera actually is a mountain range - the Maritime Alps, or the Appennini. YOu can find wonderful places to stay, in the hinterlands of Liguria, which would be a wise idea because the time of year when you are going tend to be hot and humid down by the water. One thing though, the hinterlands are steep - biking might be tough unless you are a seasoned athlete!! YOu might want look at villages like Apricale, which is near the French/Italian border. Start there and look at surrounding villages, googling as you go. There are rental apartments available in that area, plenty of them.
Feb 8th, 2007, 12:03 AM

If you like mountains and want to stay close to the seaside I can suggest you to stay around Mondovì, which is in Piedmont (Piemonte in Italian). There are beautiful mountains there and you can stay in small villages like Frabosa Soprana or Artesina: there are many mountains paths starting from the villages and nice hotels to spend the nights. Food is particularly fine in this area. July is usually quite hot in Italy and you will find the fresh air of these mountains very pleasant.
From Mondovì you can take the motorway to the seaside: it will take you about 1 hour.
Let me know if you need more info.
Feb 8th, 2007, 12:30 AM

Piedmont (Piemonte) literally means at the foot of the mountains - so thats a great clue to the alpine backdrop that surrounds Piedmont. Liguria and the Italian riviera are a very easy drive south from central Piedmont. So you could consider a two centre trip, or pick a central location and take trips out from there (Turin as mentioned, or Cuneo - both close to Alpine adventures, Cuneo closer to the sea. Acqui Terme on the edge of the Appenini and an easy drive to Genoa.

There are some pages and photos of the Italian Alps here - http://www.stayinpiedmont.com/pages/...an%20Alps.html

Search this Thread