Italian Alps

May 26th, 2005, 07:04 AM
Ali25

Italian Alps

We are taking a trip to Italy & Austria next year and I am in the end stages of planning the itinerary. Many years ago - before my senior year of high school - I spent 6 glorious summer weeks traveling throughout Europe with the Foreign Study League. The memories will always be with me. We flew into Rome and traveled north through Italy, into Austria, Germany, France, Belgium, The Netherlands, and England....then taking a ship for the long cruise home into New York. I think that my MOST memorable moment was after a day trekking by bus, arriving late at night, and waking up to open the curtains and stepping onto a balcony with an Alp so CLOSE & so tall that I almost fell over backwards just craning my neck to see the very top. God, it was awesome. Can anyone tell me where this might have been?? The accommodation was at the very base of the Alps. I know it was in Northern Italy since we did trek to Innsbruck & Seefeld for the next few days. I have misplaced my journal from this Great Adventure and would love to return to a place very similar - since I have been telling my husband for years about the beauty of the Alps.
I know that this may be vague...does anyone have any advice?? Thanks!

May 26th, 2005, 07:22 AM

Ali - That's easy
COLFOSCO

http://www.misch1.de/bilder/suedtiro...e_colfosco.JPG

Steve
May 26th, 2005, 07:34 AM

From the description of your itinerary, you probably traveled through northern Italy right in the geographical center of that area, past Lake Garda to Trento, Bolzano, and points north. Though I have no idea where you might have stopped or whether you might have wandered off that more-or-less straight line toward Innsbruck. Assuming you didn't, I'd guess you were somewhere near Bolzano or perhaps west of there toward Merano, or east of there toward Cortina. There are spots in Cortina where you can have that kind of view, and it's possible in Bolzano or Merano.

It's also possible that your group stopped in one of the smaller villages along the way -- perhaps Bressanone or one of the Dolomites villages such as Ortisei. Wish I could give you more help, but what you observed is possible in so many places. That's what's wonderful about the Alps.
May 26th, 2005, 07:42 AM

I noticed that Steve mentioned Colfosco. It's certainly possible that Colfosco, or one of several other Dolomites villages, would have been the place you stopped. However, a route that would have taken you into that area would have been a bit off the direct course toward Innsbruck. If you had some idea whether your tour bus had gone through some pretty twisting up-and-down roads, you might well have been somewhere in the Dolomites.

Search this Thread