Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Italia Rail Seating Charts for Eurostar (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/italia-rail-seating-charts-for-eurostar-642444/)

Limey1945 Aug 28th, 2006 07:21 AM

Italia Rail Seating Charts for Eurostar

Can't seem to find the seating charts for the Italia Eurostar 1st or 2nd class. Their site does not show one in english or italian. Anyone have any ideas? We are travelling from Roma to Napoli in October. When we go to book it assigns us seats but we prefer to see a seating chart. Thanks

Neopolitan Aug 28th, 2006 07:29 AM

Be aware that there is little consistency between whatever any seating chart or reserved seating list says and what it will actually be.
We've booked seats that were supposed to be the two facing on the single side of the train only to find those two numbered seats on that particular train were on opposite sides of the train, and one in a group of four.
Not all cars of the system are numbered the same and there seems to be little or no guarantee that the seats it will show you on line correctly correspond to the actual car you will be on.

ira Aug 28th, 2006 11:08 AM

Hi L,

There is no seating chart.

You can choose aisle or window in a 2x2 configuration or window seats in a 1x1.

You will be put in a seat in a car on a train.

((I))

ira Aug 28th, 2006 11:10 AM

PS,

You can't choose if you will ride facing forward or backward because trains often pull in and back out of stations.

((I))

PalQ Aug 28th, 2006 11:13 AM

RailEurope has Eurostar seating charts - i have copies but can't locate them - there are three configurations for the three types of Eurostar train sets in operation. If i find them i'll let you know.
Like Ira says trains can reverse en route - this happens in Rome, Bologna, Milan and Florence and other cities where the station is a terminus (dead-end) where trains come in one way and go out in reverse direction.

Limey1945 Aug 28th, 2006 11:23 AM

Thank you all for the info.If you find the seat charts let me know. Right now Trenitalia will allow you top book a 2 for 1 going from Rome to Milan, 1st class, on their Eurostar for 39 Euros each way. Not bad I guess.

Limey1945 Aug 28th, 2006 11:24 AM

Sorry, that should have been Rome to Naples.

PalQ Aug 28th, 2006 11:44 AM

I have a RailEurope (from Trenitalia) seating chart from Jan 2005 - give me the train # (for example 9320) as there are three types of Eurostar trains that vary and train number tells these apart
But if it's the new ARCO trains that began on this route recently they are not Eurostar configured and i have no chart for them.
I'm not saying the Eurostar chart is infallible but the best i have to go with.

PalQ Aug 28th, 2006 11:50 AM

Raileurope has first class Rome-Naples tickets for as low as $58 but more typical is $69 - but i don't think you'd have any trouble buying these in Italy at trenitalia prices if you can't get the fickle trenitalia site to work. RailEurope would charge a $15 reservation fee per order and a $15 mailing fee - i always recommend BETS (800-441-2387) over Raileurope not only for their expertise but smaller mailing fee. That said again you'll have no problem buying these in Italy, especially in first class.

Limey1945 Aug 28th, 2006 04:10 PM

PalQ
Our train number to Naples is 9601 and our return is 9640. Appreciate any info

JandaO Aug 28th, 2006 04:24 PM

It makes feel ill to be facing away from the direction of travel. Is there a way to request a seat that is facing forward?

I have had to grin and bear it before.
No fun.

hopscotch Aug 28th, 2006 04:58 PM

If there are open seats, and there usually are, just get up and change seats. Tell the conductor so he can change your reservation.

JandaO Aug 28th, 2006 05:23 PM

if the train is full ??

rkkwan Aug 28th, 2006 05:29 PM

Read a book or close your eyes.

Really, it's a relatively short trip of about 1:40. You won't feel the train go either way and the vast majority of people won't have problem sitting the train going the other direction.

JandaO Aug 29th, 2006 06:46 AM

rkkwan,
I will be taking the train from Cinque terre to Sorrento. It is certainly longer than 1 hour and 40 minutes.

I have tried many things not to feel sick and dizzy when I am not faced in the direction of travel. Maybe some kind soul would which with me if it got too bad.

PalQ Aug 29th, 2006 07:03 AM

You must be traveling by yourself or otherwise your partner could sit in a backward facing seat and change with you when the train reverses (in Florence and Rome) - or try to spot the occasional train that skirts these cities and doesn't serve the main dead-end terminus stations.

Dukey Aug 29th, 2006 07:13 AM

Try to sit in an aisle seat and DON'T look out the window.

Alternative: get bombed and you won't car!

PalQ Aug 29th, 2006 07:22 AM

PalQ
Our train number to Naples is 9601 and our return is 9640

Well this number indicates to me that it's probably one of the new ARCO trains that have just been put into service on this route - train numbers lower than 9500 are three types of Eurostar ETR trains (450, 460 and 500) so the chart has not been updated to include the new trains. Sorry.

rkkwan Aug 29th, 2006 09:20 AM

JandaO - The direct train from La Spezia to Sorrento is an IC train. You don't need seat reservations on those, so you can pick seats you want.

JandaO Aug 29th, 2006 05:12 PM

rkkwan,
Now youre talkin'...

Palq,
My sister and I both have been in seats facing backwards.

dukey
:)