Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   It's offical, I'm going to Europe in March. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/it-s-offical-i-m-going-to-europe-in-march-743408/)

Mamaw Oct 17th, 2007 02:59 PM

It's offical, I'm going to Europe in March.

Well, I got the word last night. I will be needed on a trip to Europe this March with French language students.

Our stops....

London
Portsmouth
Mont. St. Michel
Normandy
Versailles
Paris
Chartres-Loire-Chateaux

I'm very excited and can't wait. Didn't think I was going to get the chance to go, but now it's for sure.

Anyone been to any of the above sights, I would appreciate any info, especially food recommendations.

Thanks, Theresa in Detroit.

LCBoniti Oct 17th, 2007 03:17 PM

Theresa, if I could remember how to format this post in green, I would because I am . . . green with envy :)

How nice to be "needed" . . .

plafield Oct 17th, 2007 04:41 PM

Theresa, How fantastic for you! Are you looking for places to eat solo or will you be eating with the students? Will you have much free time to explore and site see on your own?

hopscotch Oct 17th, 2007 05:05 PM

For food recommendations Theresa it would help if you indicated your budget, and any particular preferences. Fodors people are veggies to bloody carnivores and frites on the stoop to 3 star Michelin.

kybourbon Oct 17th, 2007 06:34 PM

Theresa - I can't wait for your trip report since your Rome one is my favorite! You always manage to find great restaurants! Have fun, but avoid CDG!

mermaid_ Oct 17th, 2007 08:22 PM

Theresa, that's wonderful! Are you going to Portsmouth to take the ferry across to France? We were there two weeks ago and went up the observation tower. Here's a website for you to look at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/hampshire/conte...r_webcam.shtml

It's called the Spannaker Tower. It cost about $12 to get up to the top (I blanched at the price but coughed up anyway after hemming and hawing for half an hour). It was worth every penny and then some! From the top you can watch the ferries and freighters coming and going, the train (which unloads its passengers right on the dock), the people going to and fro...it was so interesting and every minute was different than the next. Honestly, I thought it would be a quick look and then back down again, but we were up there for more than an hour. I walked on the "glass ceiling" and it was totally scary but fun. It's part of the floor that's made of glass and you've just got to do it to believe it. so if you have the time to visit when you're in Portsmouth, don't hesitate like me. Buy a ticket and be prepared to be amazed!

mermaid_ Oct 17th, 2007 08:25 PM

Oops. Sorry. It's "spinnaker." I wish I had spell-check!

Mamaw Oct 18th, 2007 03:14 PM

I couldn't wait to get home and see what ya all have posted...

LC, don't be too green, this can be hard work but the rewards are awesome.

Plafield, I'm looking to go solo in the evening. Once the kids are in lock down ;) I get to go play. And my playfield is the foodfield.

hopscotch, though I have a somewhat budget, when it comes to food I blow my budget. I want to eat good. At least one meal a day. Don't get me wrong NETC tours (student tour co) does a fantastic job with the places we get to eat, but at night I want to eat good and something of the local product. Veggie's is always my first choice.

KY My old friend. Avoiding CDG is impossible. We fly out from Paris. I'm secretly planning on staying an extra week after the tour is done. The tour co. offers 229.00 a day extra and after much research, that just may be my best bet. But I'm still looking. And YOU KNOW, I'm going to do a post when I get home. All names and character will not be theirs to save them from my wrath ;) Just kidding.

Mermaid, I'm so excited about the ferry thingy to Normandy. My husband is so jealous about that. I can't wait to check out the tread you attached. Any info you can give me would be fantastic. I just got home from doing a little (OK I LIED) shopping for some idea's on outfits for the trip. We leave March 21, it's never to early to plan the wardrobe. My Husband wanted to know what I bought for the Cruise (dec 08) isn't good for Europe, what does he know.

Thanks again everyone. I have to cook dinner (so what If I cooked 100 meals today already) and then I will check out the info and threads I have gotten from everyone. MMMMMM I'm thinking Fried Chicken for dinner.