It's alright if ....

Search

It's alright if ....

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2008, 02:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's alright if ....

I sense a high degree of anxiety in many of the questions posted here, especially from people making their first trip abroad. The experienced travellers seem to have a more relaxed approach (that's you, Ira).

Can I propose that we draw up a list together of the things that it is alright to do (or not do). One of the best pieces of advice is always to assume that you will go again, and that therefore you don't have to rush around to see all the sights, and lots of countries.

To get the ball rolling, can I suggest the following:

It's alright to go on an organised tour for your first trip. That way you will learn what a country is like without having to make all the individual arrangements.

It's alright not to search the internet for the lowest possible price. It's more important to have an enjoyable, less stressful, experience when you hire a car or book a flight.

Nobody ever starved while on holiday in a developed country. It may not be the food you are used to, but you are bound to find something you like
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 03:04 AM

Well, in a way, I'd disagree that it's "alright to go on an organised tour for your first trip." My entire attitude to travel has been driven by the memory of the sheer fun of organising the travel myself, and the sheer confusion of the different noises and smells from the moment I navigated myself onto French soil. No organised trip could possibly have had the same effect.

I'd suggest there's a deeper alright, which picks up on chartley's third point:

Practically nothing that can go wrong on holiday in a developed country will do you more damage than you'd experience at home. You won't starve on holiday, more physical assaults are carried out on the streets of your home town thgan any toursit place you're likely to visit, and passports and credit cards can all be replaced.

And no-one could give a back copy of Women's Wear Daily what you're wearing.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 03:10 AM

I had an aunt who went on many tours all over Europe & wouldn't go any other way. If that's your comfort level, use a tour. Absolutely fine to do.

It's most important to have comfortable walking shoes that have been broken in. Nothing can ruin a day's sightseeing faster than aching feet.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 03:20 AM

It's alright to visit Paris and not visit the Louvre; it's alright to visit the Louvre and not visit the Mona Lisa.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 03:26 AM

Organized tours -
I think an organized tour is fine for a 1st trip. Or a 2nd trip. Or a 3rd trip. IF that is what makes someone comfortable traveling.

My MIL has done ALL her trips that way and she is perfectly happy to have someone else make all the arrangements and decisions. The only time she didn't do an organized tour was to Egypt - and I arranged everything for her!

It's not my style. I have only done 1 organized tour in my life and the only reason it worked for me is because I was with a group of people (expats from Cairo) and we all knew each other, knew each other's kids, etc. So, when one man suddenly became very ill and had to be med-evac'd out of the country and his wife felt she needed to go with him for a couple of days......the rest of us "moms" pitched in and took care of their 3 daughters so that the daughters could continue to have fun with their friends and not worry too much about their dad.

Searching for low fares -
I search for my timetable first, then search for a reasonable fare - adjusting the timing if needed. To me, convenience is more important than saving a little money. Also - my time is valuable .....and spending hours trying to save a little money is not worth it to me.

Money/costs -
Travelling is expensive. Period. Be aware of the exchange rates, save money where it makes sense, but don't obsess about it.

As I recently stated on an A&ME post - in 5 years, will you be kicking yourself for going all the way to Egypt and cruising the Nile but NOT spending the extra couple of hundred to see Abu Simble?

Know what is important to YOU -
For us,
(1) We would rather spend a little more on a hotel to be in the center of town, close to the major sites/attractions. We don't want to HAVE to ride a bus or metro everywhere we want to go. We want to be able to walk most places.
(2) We enjoy good food and wine - so we are willing to pay for good restaurants. It's worth it to us. It's wasted on my MIL.
(3) We have a "must see" list and a "would be nice" list. As long as we get thru the "must see" things - we leave happy.

Old Apr 9th, 2008, 03:27 AM

It's alright if you don't speak the local language. In tourist areas in Europe, many people will understand at least a little English and even when they don't, it's surprising how far you can get with with signs and gestures. A few key phrases, such as please and thank you are however, always appreciated.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 03:50 AM
ira

Hi C,

>things that it is alright to do

It is all right to:

Visit 3 major venues in 3 weeks, even though it is possible to fit in 17. Europe will still be there your next visit.

Choose one hotel over another and not bother to visit the one you decided against.

Ditto restaurants.

To visit Paris and not go up the Eiffel Tower.

To visit Italy and not go to Rome.

To go to "touristy" places - there are reasons why tourists go there.

To buy 2cl tickets on trains.

To drink the water - mostly.

To share a first course or a desert.

It is NOT all right to:

To wear beach wear for dinner at a restaurant that has tablecloths.

To speak loudly in houses of worship, museums, art galleries, etc. Use your indoor voice.

To stand in doorways while talking to your friends.

All right, already.

Old Apr 9th, 2008, 04:09 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
It is all right to visit France but not go to Paris.

It is all right to travel to a new location every other day if you know that is the way you like to travel.

It is all right to spend your entire vacation without ever going to a major tourist site or museum if you don't want to see one.

It is all right to ask about what people wear in a place you have never visited, just as it is all right to ask what your friends are wearing to that party tonight. (Just be prepared that when you ask here, some people will misinterpret your desire to know and will give you a hard time.)

It is all right to change your mind mid-course about what you want to do.

It is all right to eat the foods you prefer and to drink the drinks you prefer while on vacation, even if they are things you could get at home.

There is no wrong way to have a good time. It is best, however, to know what will enable you to have that good time, so I recommend listening to all the advice you can and weighing its usefulness to you.

Old Apr 9th, 2008, 04:22 AM

In short, it is all right to do what you enjoy doing and not what everyone else tells you you must do.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 04:30 AM
ira

>..it is all right to do what you enjoy doing and not what everyone else tells you you must do.

Except for wearing shorts and tank tops at dinner in decent restaurants and talking loudly - that's rude - and having cabernet sauvignon with shellfish - that's awful.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 04:34 AM

It's alright if you wear what you find comfortable, rather than what the locals wear and it's alright if you look like a tourist.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 04:40 AM

It's alright (usually!--be prepared for sometimes a snide or condescending response) to ask any (even seemingly inane or obvious) questions here; isn't that what this forum is for? It's been such a help to me so far.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 04:48 AM

It's all right, not alright.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 04:50 AM

Alright is all right according to the OED (in both senses).
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 04:54 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
to echo Ira...

As long as it's not rude, it's all all right.

g.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 04:56 AM

Alright looks horrible and my spell-checker doesn't like it, so there!

If you are polite and take care not to annoy or inconvenience the busy locals, then minor faux pas are forgiven.
It is not all right to feel that you can behave like a boor because "they want my money".
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 04:58 AM

What's wrong with alright? Sounds alright to me.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 04:59 AM

OK, you're right alright doesn't look as good as all right!
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 05:19 AM

Alright is in my dictionary too - but it says it "non standard". So that's all right (or alright)
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 05:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Gosh, the OED *does* say "alright" is okay (but often considered erroneous), though the only writer of note they quote spelling it that way in my "Shorter OED" is Tom Stoppard.

We've already (!) had disagreements on what is all right. I would suggest that everything legal is all right, including rudeness and inappropriate attire, providing you are willing to pay the price. The cigar puffing plutocrat wouldn't be getting his travel dollars' worth if he wasn't browbeating some toady, then contemptuously over-tipping.

We might consider his behavior barbarous, in which case I guess we could snub him -- not that he'd care. I'd like to be able to say "Your right to wear a wife-beater and shorts on a hot day in Rome ends when it enters my vision." (Apologies to Fran Liebowitz.) But of course I have no such authority . . .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -