Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   It is worth it to get an International Student ID? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/it-is-worth-it-to-get-an-international-student-id-39693/)

Stacey Mar 10th, 1999 06:11 AM

It is worth it to get an International Student ID?

I am going to London and Paris this summer and I was wanting to know if it would be worth it to obtain an International Student ID. What type of discounts can I get?

Erin Mar 10th, 1999 10:11 AM

Hi Stacey, <BR>The last time I used an International Student ID was in 1996 and I found it very worthwhile. Especially if you are on a tight budget and you plan on doing a lot of sightseeing and going to museums. Sightseeing in London can get pretty expensive. The last time I was there (1998), The Tower of London was around 9 pounds, but with the ID, you would pay 6 or 7 pounds. The ID is accepted at every place that offers student discounts. What I like is that the ID is good for one year, perfect for extended stays in Europe (unlike museum passes that are only good for 3 or 5 days). <BR>

Caryn Mar 10th, 1999 12:28 PM

It is worth it. While you might only break even on the price of the ID, you may also save. But if you have it, you won't kick yourself when you are on line at a museum for not getting it. You will feel the savings later more than you will feel the expense now. Also, if you are a student, the Int'l Student ID comes with travel and medical insurance. You can also pay a little extra and extend your coverage. This is important if you don't have a full time job with benefits.

dan Mar 10th, 1999 12:51 PM

Definitely worth it. My wife and I had student IDs a few years ago on a trip, and we saved about $35-40 in Prague alone.

Tom Mar 11th, 1999 06:00 AM

Let me preface my remarks by declaring that I was a student in London many years ago. But I found that my friends travelling from the U.S. used their university ids. to receive the standard student discounts. Regardless, you should check to see of London theatres and concert halls give you a discount as well. At least in the mid-80s, you could show up half an hour before a performance and the box office would sell any remainng tickets for a few pounds. Of course, this didn't work for the most popular shows, which were sold out on a regular basis, but it was a great way to sample the offerings of West End and the Strand without paying a bloody fortune.

Stacey Mar 11th, 1999 07:40 AM

Thanks for everyone's comments. I think that I have made a decision that it will be worth it. <BR>

Mel Roberts Mar 11th, 1999 01:36 PM

The ISIC card may be good if it has insurance etc. but in my experience your regular University ID card is usually enough to get a discount.

Lesley Mar 11th, 1999 05:26 PM

This does not relate to London but if anyone else reads this, you might benefit. We took a Scandinavian Seaways cruise to Copenhagen from Oslo and purchased our tickets via internet saying we had the discount cards for our children. We were able to get the discount and in the end never ended up getting the cards. Theuniversity ID cards were adequate. <BR>

Annalynn Mar 11th, 1999 05:46 PM

Stacey, when I was a student traveling in Europe I used my International ID card. This was 7 seven years ago, and most of the places I used it at would not accept either my US ID card or my ID card from the School in England I was studying at for the discounts.

Erin Mar 12th, 1999 06:17 AM

I agree with Annalynn. In London (1996), I had the International Student ID and my friend had her college ID. No one would accept her ID, but everyone would accept mine. The same thing happened to me and my sister in Madrid.