Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   It is not RENFE, it is your bank ! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/it-is-not-renfe-it-is-your-bank-902702/)

danon Aug 14th, 2011 04:41 PM

It is not RENFE, it is your bank !

So many posters have expressed their frustration with Renfe web page
and declared the company at fault.
For the third time in two years, I booked tickets in five minutes ( this time: 47 euros Madrid - Barcelona).
When the system 'contacted" my bank, a security question from the bank popped -up, I answered - , the sale went through.
Even with the problems some posters have had, the saving is so great it is worth the trouble..

Pegontheroad Aug 14th, 2011 05:52 PM

I found a guide to RENFE on Trip Advisor. It's a multi-page post that takes you through the process. As long as I was following the post and didn't make any mistakes, I was able to buy tickets without trouble.

I'm not too skilled at computer stuff, so I don't know how to post a link to this particular thread.

PalenQ Aug 14th, 2011 06:48 PM

One wonders why RENFE is so incompetemt as to not themselves walk foreign clients thru the fog?

danon Aug 14th, 2011 07:02 PM

RENFE is not incompetent, it is your banks' systems that are incapable of handling the transaction.

PalenQ Aug 15th, 2011 10:48 AM

RENFE is incompetent if they do not note on their site what is a common problem about your bank. They should state exactly what the problem is IMO in English - to avoid so many folks having trouble making bookings - and perhaps that is the goal - to frustrate foreigners from getting the discounted online tickets (and in a way I cannot argue with that apparent philosophy!)

kanadajin Aug 15th, 2011 11:09 AM

FWIW, my experience parallels that of danon. I have never had any issues whatsoever with the RENFE web site to purchase train tickets. I have done so a number of times over the past few years using my Canadian issued VISA card (it does have a chip, although I do not think this would make a difference). I do get a security question which pops up on my screen every time, then the purchase goes through (and on the first try).

I know the RENFE site gets a bad rap on this forum. I wonder if for them (RENFE), the apparent issue may in fact not be all that common in their sales tally. I would also be curious whether there have been reported problems with non-USA issue credit cards.

Food for thought ...

danon Aug 15th, 2011 12:07 PM

How would RENFE know what is wrong with your bank's system ?
They cannot fix your banks' inability to process a simple transaction from abroad.
Like PP, my MC is Canadian issued. It seems, it is only Americans (i.e. the American banks )who have a problems with RENFE not all foreigners.

kayd Aug 15th, 2011 01:27 PM

"How would RENFE know what is wrong with your bank's system ?
They cannot fix your banks' inability to process a simple transaction from abroad."

But Americans routinely conduct troublefree credit card transactions with other vendors in Europe (hotels, theater tickets, etc.) RENFE seems to present an unusual problem -- I doubt it is the US banks' fault alone.

danon Aug 15th, 2011 02:00 PM

kayd, could be what you say - it might be the two systems are not compatible?
When I submit my CC number ,there is a note on the screen that my bank is being contacted by RENFE, the security window from my bank pops-up, I answer several questions, and the sale goes through.
True, this only happens when I purchase from RENFE, never with airlines , hotels,or train tickets from other countries.
Perhaps, there is some software issue between RENFE and security procedures at American banks.
Too bad.

PalenQ Aug 18th, 2011 07:24 PM

well look at a current thread complaining about Renfe's site and it has nothng to do with local banks. Total frustation is what Fodorites have been carping about for years now - and though some same the site is all fixed Kumbala it seems, from this very recent other post that renfe.es is as flummoxing as ever, contrary to posted reports to the otherwise.

enjoyinglife Sep 18th, 2011 02:43 PM

I have tried for two days to buy tickets. I contacted Chase and then were on the phone with me while I tried to make the purchase. The purchase would not go through. There was an error "G003" message or a message that said "The process cannot continue right now. We apologise for any inconvenience (G001-M024)" Anyone know what this means?

danon Sep 18th, 2011 08:52 PM

Ther are several threads offering suggestions on how to...
It seems that RENFE's system is not "clicking"with softwer of some American banks.
EuropeanS, Canadians and some Americans have. had. better luck.

HappyCheesehead Sep 18th, 2011 09:07 PM

I thought I had done everything right, and had notified my cc that I was making the purchase and had my Verified by Visa account all set up. The first time I tried to purchase my tickets I thought the transaction was going to go through - I got all the way past the Verified by Visa part and then my idiotic bank didn't let the charge go through. I called Chase and they put an even less restricted security on the account and they told me to try again but then RENFE's system never let me get back to the Verified by Visa bit. Looks like it was one strike and you are out.......

HappyCheesehead Sep 19th, 2011 09:49 AM

BUT the above was 11 days ago when I was trying to purchase my tickets from Madrid to Seville. I ended up purchasing through PetraBax to be sure I got the web fare for the train I wanted.

Then, after midnight (central US time) last night, just after posting the above, it was time to purchase my Cordoba to Madrid tickets. I thought what the heck - I will try again- and the purchase went right through. Crazy.

PalenQ Sep 19th, 2011 10:46 AM

RENFE is not incompetent, it is your banks' systems that are incapable of handling the transaction.>

RENFE it seems is more incompetent than the banks per above complaints???

enjoyinglife Sep 19th, 2011 05:57 PM

SUCCESS!!! I used a different computer today and it worked. YAY!

november_moon Sep 20th, 2011 09:30 AM

We had a similar issue with Dbahn for tickets in Germany - the bank wouldn't let the charge go through. But when we called our bank, they lifted the hold and everything worked fine.

It looks like there are additional problems with RENFE.

chapla Sep 20th, 2011 10:30 AM

RENFE is so ..... They are aware of the problems because they keep trying to improvere the website but with no luck-just too many glitches.They need to hire some professional online people and someone who speaks English!!!!!
Last time I successfully used the hints from Maribel's guide but now those are outdated!
Iberia airlines is slowly getting better with their website but still has a long way to go too.

llane125 Sep 20th, 2011 10:36 AM

I tried a number of credit cards. Then, following the advice of a poster here, tried a debit (Chase) card. The purchase went right through. I did receive a subsequent automated call from Chase asking me to verify the purchase.