Istria Hill Country

Old Jul 29th, 2021, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Istria Hill Country

Hello,
After 4-5 days in Zagreb (and area) and then 4-5 days in Rovinj (with day trips), my wife and I plan to relax and wander the hill country from a place on Motovun for 4-5 days.
We plan to use pre-arranged private transport from Zagreb to Rovinj to Motovun and back to Zagreb.
However, we really do not want to rent a car with the hassles of driving, parking etc., while in Motovun to see places like Groznjan, Buje, Livade, etc.
Is it difficult to get a public taxi to go from Motovun to another town? and back? Suggestions for taxi companies?
Should we hire a car/driver for a day? Suggestions?
I haven't received responses from my initial queries to a couple of private transfer companies, so I'm beginning to wonder about my options.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

With regards,
Bruce

Old Jul 29th, 2021, 11:50 AM

Have you looked at toursbylocals.com or viator.com websites? I just googled and they appear to have day trips to Motovun from Rovinj or other locations. Often they are private or small group, and if private you can customize to your interests. Another resource if you haven't asked already is your hotel or vacation rental host.
Old Jul 30th, 2021, 04:57 AM

I understand your reluctance to bother with the hassle of renting a car but I have to say driving around the Istrian peninsula was about the easiest place we ever drove. We rented the car in Rovinj and returned it in Split (we also wanted to visit the Plitvice Lakes). If you could do a rental for just those few days it would probably greatly simplify things and we found ample parking in all the small towns and between towns was also very, very easy. In general we only rent cars when we find public transportation really not realistic but over many years we've driven in multiple places and this was the easiest.
Old Jul 31st, 2021, 04:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for such nice and informative responses. I will definitely be renting a car for my travels...from Zagreb to Rovinj to Motovun and back to Zagreb.
With regards,
Bruce