Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Istanbul: Villa Zurich vs Galata Antique vs a new hotel?

Old Aug 17th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My last reservation for our Sept trip is for the last 4 nights in Istanbul.

At the start of our trip we'll be staying in Hotel Dersaadet, near the Blue Mosque. It isn't available at the end, plus I think two nights in Sultan ahmet will be just right.

I seem to have narrowed it down to three choices:

Hotel Villa Zurich
Galata Antique hotel on Mesrutiyet CAd in (or near?) Tunel
A new hotel

The new all suite hotel is near 5oda - 1/2 block off Istiklal Cad, by the Swedish Consulate. It will be opening on Sept 1, so will be only 3 weeks old, but it's sister hotel seems to be a really lovely place. (90 euros/night for a one bedroom triple).

Galata Antique (120 Euros) seems pretty well located and I like the photos. it is also nice that you can cancel up to three days before. I would be able to actually look at it the new hotel and make sure it is operating when we first arrive.
http://www.galataantiquehotel.com/

Villa Zurich (109 euros) seems to get rave reviews too, but seems a bit farther from the public transport. Also, their web site is funky...I can't get the cancellation policy to appear, so I'll have to email them again.
http://hotelvillazurich.com/

Any sugestions?
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 01:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I feel generous so will respond once more to an unappreciative OP:

- Hotel Villa Zurich has afeel of the istanbul of the 1950s and 60s. It is an active residential area and a good neighborhood with lots of quality cafes and some restaurants including the very good restaurant on the roof of the hotel.
Many artists and expats live in this neighborhood. it is not that far from the main drags of Taksim and Istiklal street. Check your map.

Has smallish rooms. The front rooms will have better light but may be noisy until midnight or so on weekends.

Some friends stayed there a number of times and found the management quite flexible, caring and friendly (that was three and four years ago)

- Some people we know stayed at 5 Oda earlier this year and were happy with their choice. It is not much closer to public transportation than Villa Zurich. The neighborhood is interesting but not so friendly at night. The excellent Nardis Jazz club is very close.

- Galata Antique seems to be very much in the thick of things. This is mostly an entertainment area and close to the lower middle class shopping of Istiklal. Hundreds of restaurants for every budget and taste, with a few decent ones, cafes and bars. This is also not as friendly a neighborhood as Cihangir where Villa Zurich is situated. It is also not so close to public transport except for the funicular at Tunel and the historic tram on Istiklal.

you will also be very close to some interesting venues like Babylon and Ghetto, although they may be closed for the Summer if you are visiting before Sept. 15.
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 03:06 AM

I apologize for my totally unfounded remark at the beginning of the above post.

To make up for it, i will give the addresses of some photographs and presentations, mostly prepared by my wife who has managed to bear with me so many years despite my forked tongue and our fifteen years age difference:

http://travel.webshots.com/video/305...04991763JAmlCB

http://travel.webshots.com/album/575...M?vhost=travel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpO9TEZ-t-Q

and taken from our balcony:
http://travel.webshots.com/album/574815900TNqItc
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Original Poster

Ha Ha, OC- That's what happens when you PBC (post before coffee)!

I was hoping to hear from the 5oda people regarding their new place tonight. If not, I'm oging to book Villa Zurich. I hesitate, but don't want to wait so long I lose the triple room they have.

The videos are beautiful, especially those of the waterfalls. Are they all in the same area?

And what a great view from your balcony. When we take our Bosphorus tour, should we wave bright scarves at your home?
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 04:59 AM

Hi Lucy-I'm also going to be at the Hotel Dersaadaet in Sept. Maybe we'll see you there! Jackie
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 05:17 AM

We stayed in a triple at Villa Zurich in April. The room wasn't large; we'd had two much larger rooms previously on our trip, so it might have seemed a bit confining to us, but otherwise was workable for a short stay and seemed a good value for the price. Loved the neighborhood!

I can't find anything about cancellation policy in my communications with the hotel, other than the booking form indicated that I had to provide a credit card number to guarantee the reservation past 6 pm day of arrival.
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 01:57 PM

Lucy, please do wave and if we see you we will lower and raise the blinds in a rythmic way so you can tell you have been recognized. and probably give another reason to people who may wish to have me confined.