Istanbul views/ photo-ops

Feb 12th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Istanbul views/ photo-ops

I'm going to Istanbul next month and in my research have read that it's hard to get good views (shots) of the Blue Mosque (and other mosques) from the ground because you can't get far enough away, buildings block it, etc. So I was wondering if anyone had good suggestions of places to get good views. I know some hotels in the area have roof top terraces. Any public places like that? Or any other suggestions. And while you are at it, any good suggestions for great photo ops anywhere in Istanbul?

Also, it seems average temps for mid March are around 50s for highs. Depending on lots of things that could feel quite spring like - or rather winter like. How is it in Istanbul (e.g. does being on the water make it windy/colder, etc)? Also, is grass green, are there any flowers?
Feb 13th, 2009, 03:43 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Feb 13th, 2009, 06:48 AM

You can't predict the weather, but you can look at weather.com and such sites for typical averages. I think April/May must be the best time to visit--I was there in late May and caught the very end of the tulips. No worry if it is cold, there is so much to do and see!
As for views, I found the views from the Bosporus quite stunning--both from the bridge and the ferry. Even though it is the entire skyline of the city, it is that difference that is interesting and those minarets jutting above everything.
There is a park adjacent to the Blue Mosque where I got some nice shots--especially at night when the crowds are gone. I don't think you'll have any trouble getting amazing shots of anything in that city!
Feb 13th, 2009, 08:59 AM

Istanbul is a VERY photographic city! I agree that views from the Bosphorus are good, as they are from Galata Tower. There are also some good shots of Blue Mosque from Ayasofya.

We were there in November and it was probably mid-40s most of the time, plus some rain. Really didn't take away from the trip at all.

For more info and pictures from our trip: http://patrinadoestheglobe.blogspot....ul-turkey.html
Feb 13th, 2009, 03:23 PM

The rooftop terrace of The Seven Hills hotel offers incredible views of the city.
Feb 14th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replys. katrinab, your site was very nice. Do you remember how you got to the Chora Church? I keep reading about taking the bus, but it looks like you could do in on the metro (which always seems like a better idea to me when I'm in a strange city, less likely to get on the wrong one and wind up who knows where). While you were up there did you see any of the walls? We are going to have 8 days so I'm looking into some of the more out of the way things that most visitors who only spend 3-4 days don't get to.

Weadles - the hotel terrace does look like it has great views (better than the one I'm staying in, which claims to have views but the photos on the website are more of the sea than the mosque). Do you know if Seven Hills terrace is open to the public?

Thanks.
Feb 14th, 2009, 09:32 AM

You can get a great view of the Blue Mosque from Rami Restaurant across the street (you can dine on the terrace if the weather is good) or from Mavi Ev Hotel roof.

Angel's Home hotel roof also has good view of Blue Mosque.

However, you can get a decent photo of the Blue Mosque if you stand in the park that lies between it and the Hagia Sophia.

Thin
Feb 14th, 2009, 11:13 AM

Yes, the terrace restaurant of The Seven Hills hotel is open to the public. I'd stick with drinks and appetizers. The main courses were average.

There are two levels of the rooftop restaurant. Try to stay on the lower more protected level, unless you enjoy trying to take photos in nearly hurricane-force winds!