Istanbul trip in July?

Old Jun 11th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Istanbul trip in July?

Hi, I am probably going to Istanbul in late July for a wedding. I have a few questions. How HOT is it in Turkey in July? Is there public transportation in Istanbul? or are we better to rent a car? Also, we will probably only be there 5 days total. Is it reasonable to think we can see Cappadocia and Ephesus also in this time? (and is flying the best way to go between these cities? One more... I'm a little nervous about going to Turkey (we are two women, 49 and 26.. i'm the 49). Can you give me any encouragement? Thanks ALL
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 09:31 PM

You'll love Istanbul! The palaces are grand (Dolmobache and Topkapi), Haghia Sophia is magnificent, and the various mosques (Blue Mosque, Suliman, etc) are quite interesting. Then - there's the Grand Bazaar! It's a great place.

Can't comment on the weather in July - altho I imagine it will be pretty hot.

Don't bother renting a car in Istanbul. Taxis are easy and pretty cheap (make sure the meter is on and working!) and there is also a pretty efficient tram system.

I think it would be difficult to do both Cappadocia and Ephesus in that time frame - especially if you want to see Istanbul as well.

For Cappadocia, you would have to fly from Istanbul to Kayseri and then get a car (about an hour drive I think). For Ephesus, you would catch a flight to Izmir, then it's a 1 or 2 hour drive (we're doing it in the fall, so I don't have actual driving time experience!).

There are companies that can arrange trips from Istanbul to both places. I think the Ephesus trip is a 2-day one....don't know about Cappadocia.

Oh - I think there is a flight (on some days) from Izmir to Kayseri.....but haven't looked into that.

As for safety....don't be nervous! Put on your "street smart hat" and have a great time. The people are warm and friendly. The merchants will haggle you like crazy....but it's all a lot of fun.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 03:11 AM

You could do Ephesus 1 day and Cappadocia 2 days. There is a direct flight every thursday and sunday morning from Izmir to Kayseri.
Nowadays a new company starting to fly Nevsehir Airport as well. However if you have 5 days only Choose Istanbul and one another destination at a time.
Happy Travelling,
Murat
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 04:59 AM

TRansport in Instanbul is great, you don't need a car IMO. For 5 days I'd do Istanbul well - don't miss Topkapi, half a day, Aga Sophiya, Blue Mosque and Basilica Cistern, another half a day, a leisurely lunch at the Four Seasons, Dolmabache - half a day, a leisurely meal at Ortakoy by the water, a Bosphorus cruise and a wander thru the Spice Bazaar and Grand Bazaar. I also enjoyed wandering thru the trendy Nisantasi area and the Iftiklal Cadessi area at night. I was 1 woman alone and had a blast!
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

oh, thank you SO much ALL.... i really feel so much better about this trip already. And SO much information as to where to go, what to see and how to get there. I will start my REAL planning right now. I think we will leave Cappadocia for another trip. We may have some people to visit in Izmir so probably we'll stick with Istanbul and Ephesus. I'm glad to hear about not needing a car.. that gives me one less think to think about. Thank you again.. I'll probably have more questions in the next month. (and anxious to be able to post a trip report later and be of help to the next traveler)..
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 08:56 PM

Turkey is very hot is July. Istanbul is wonderful. You are going to have a great time.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 03:34 AM

I've felt perfectly comfortable getting around on my own in Istanbul, although I wasn't particularly adventurous (I was on a business trip). Bring stable walking shoes and sandals. I don't know how so many Turkish women manage to skip along without breaking their pretty ankles, but I found that there are often ripped-up, uneven, slanted and crumbly patches of sidewalk in Istanbul (and it's hilly).

Practically all of the Turkish people I met (mostly businesspeople, but also people in service industries and a few others) were polite, charming and helpful. Almost everyone in the hotels and restaurants spoke enough English that I didn't have any difficulty making myself understood. Taxi drivers though, are a different story. Some speak very little English. If you use taxis (and I recommend them as a reasonably convenient and quick way to get around Istanbul), I would recommend that you write down the addresses of where you are going, so you can show it to the driver.
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

hi.. well, such as life goes.. everything has changed. i'm now on my own as the 26er has decided she cant afford a trip right now. so... i'm contemplating a solo trip - which scares the heck outta me. (i have to put up a bold front, however, so hubby doesn't freak about me going). as concerned as i was going with someone.. now i'm on my own. i REALLY hope to have a great trip report after i GO.
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 03:00 PM

Ahh screw the friend, I don't mean this in a bad way but, many times this has happened to me, and yes I'm still friends with those people, BUT! do not let that ruin your original plans! Otherwise I would have missed out on 5 countries, and my first visit to Turkey.

You will love Turkey, if you will be there alone for 5 days and a wedding, time will zip right by, I advise just to stay in Istanbul, do a couple of days in the old area Sultanahmet, and then do venture up to Sisli, Nisantasi, and the areas up north like Bebek Ortakoy and so, while more modern, THOSE AREAS ARE Gorgeous! and you definitely will not feel out of place there (the food especially). Try not to eat in the old city as the food unfortunately is made for tourists and for the most part sucks. I hope you will still go, friend or not, you will have an awesome time,regardless its a trip, take it! Good luck!
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

haha.. thanks Pete1025.. i totally agree with your sentiments!! i have been talking with the bride, and though this would be an awesome trip, i'm thinking i will go visit her sometime after the whirl-wind of the Turkish wedding (i did go to her Persian wedding in Cali last week). that way i can spend time with them, and they can show me around. if i go now, i will only get to hang with the family. and when i DO go.. i will go SOLO.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 10:32 PM

Hi there,

We are going to Istanbul late July as well, from 21st to the 26th.
Do you have any idea about cheap hotels or hostels?
We are two guys (23 and 30) together and we are staying all together for 2 weeks in Turkey.

Sorry to hear that your friend decided to cancel, that's pitty when our friends let us down after we arrange some plans with them, I personally hate it..
But I'm sure you'll have a great time, the weeding, places to go and lot's of stuff to do.
I have some Turkish friends who already told me where to go and what to do.
We are excited for the holiday like you as well.

Please let me know if you have any idea about where to stay..

Thanks
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 09:53 AM

i disagree with not eating in the old city.

there is one place that i think is just great: Tarihi Koftecisi.

it's a stone's throw from the cistern/aya sophia, etc. you go around the corner from the Sultan pub and follow the "tram" tracks up the hill a little bit.

someone told me it is one of the oldest kofte cafes in the city. you have to order the kofte. it's delicious! and, for the guys who posted here, it is cheap, cheap, cheap!

ps. make sure you do not go to the kofte "knock-offs" on the same block. go to this one--it's the real deal!