We are visiting Istanbul in early September for 5 days. I was there for several days 5 years ago and had no issues. However, that was before the protests and I stayed in the main tourist area and was not out much after dark.
I'd like to see a bit more of the city away from the main tourist sites and later in the evening. I'm not looking for trouble but really enjoyed a day I just wandered some mostly residential areas across the river from the main area.
Does anyone have any late news of protesting or areas to definitely avoid? Besides unlighted back streets of course!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 St, Goar or Bacharach
- 2 Ireland, public trans and my bicycle.
- 3 Where to Visit in Normandy & Brittany
- 4 First time in Spain
- 5 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
- 6 Paris Apartment
- 7 Visit to France
- 8 two days in Nice
- 9 Milan airport--which one
- 10 New fast track
- 11 Packing Champagne
- 12 Three nights in the Italian Riviera: hiking in Camogli with day trips
- 13 Can only visit one (maybe two) cities. Which one?
- 14 Itinerary Help, Please!!!
- 15 Once upon a time in Italy
- 16 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 17 Private Driver in Malaga Spain
- 18 Christmas in Granada....food!
- 19 1st time to Europe
- 20 london or amsterdam
- 21 Arthritis treatment (Lisbon)
- 22 1 night in Algarve in January?
- 23 September in Venice, Croatia, and Slovenia
- 24 14 days in Portugal with teens and Grandma
- 25 1 month destination for young family