Istanbul Ritz Carlton?

Search

Istanbul Ritz Carlton?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2008, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Istanbul Ritz Carlton?

I'm aware that many people think the architecture of the hotel is a blight on the landscape, but I'd be interested in hearing from people who have stayed at the hotel.
We'll be in Istanbul for a two day post-cruise stay, and I can get a very good rate at the hotel. In most ways, I'd prefer to be in Sultanahmet, but Four Seasons there is booked, plus the rates would be too much of a reach for us. I'm trying to decide whether to book a less "luxurious" hotel in Sultanahmet, or go ahead and go with our good rate at the Ritz even though it would be less convenient to sites (but presumably much more quiet and restful, which will be important to us).
I know that I'll have to make the decision, but input from past Ritz guests at this hotel would be very helpful. Thank you.
(Oh-- and I've read about the very visible "security" at this hotel. I wonder what that's all about-- doesn't sound like a very pleasant "ambience.&quot
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 07:37 AM

Marginal Margiela aka Proenza Preschooler stayed there within the last year or so. You can search for his previous posts, which are very detailed and quite funny!!
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 07:58 AM

The Ritz is a great place to stay. Beautifully decorated rooms, baths and really comfortable beds. The security is tight-very much like the airport. All bags, etc. are put thru a scanner when entering the hotel. Our objection to the Ritz is the location-we felt rather isolated.

We needed to split our stay in Istanbul so we stayed at the Ritz and the Empress Zoe in Sultanahmet (which we all preferred but Thin will strongly disagree.) Too bad about the Four Seasons-it is the best. Did you try the new Four Seasons on the Bosphorus?

We also had a very good weekend rate at the Ritz which was booked online thru their website.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 08:31 AM

You will be very happy at the Ritz. I was there last fall and stayed at both (I have reviews at http://www.bombasticlife.com) and I agree, Four Seasons is in a class all its own, but the Ritz is still great and the location is pretty good too.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 10:29 AM

Weekender...I also stayed at the Empress Zoe and had a great stay. I wanted to stay at the FS, but then it was around $200. a night and the Empress Zoe was either $50 or $55. I didn't want to dish out the $200. on that trip.
I do however adore Four Seasons Hotels though. I've stayed in them in other parts of the world and here in the U.S. and definitely favor them over Ritz Carltons although Ritz Carlton is now redefining its image. Happy Travels!
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 10:42 AM

Guenmai:

Last year the Four Seasons was about $370 and the Empress Zoe was $175 with the Ritz in between.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 11:25 AM

Really? The Empress Zoe has hiked up THAT much? Wow. I was there in the spring of 1999. I think I paid $50 for my room because of the cash discount. I definitely didn't pay more than $55. tops. I paid the owner in U.S. dollars. She's from San Francisco. Happy Travels!
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

I very much appreciate all these replies. And the review of the Ritz at the Bombastic site was terrific-- highly specific, which one doesn't often find in reviews.
I've got no doubt that the room, furnishings, etc will be of high quality at the RC. And though I understand that for some people the location might be good, I think that for a very short stay (day and a half, alas), we'd be making a mistake to stay anywhere except easy walking distance to the main "tourist" sites. I don't think we'd enjoy having to cab-it to Sultanahmet. And we definitely aren't interested in night life of any sort. We're in our 70's, get tired early in the evening, and like to go to bed early. And we like to be able to sleep! Especially when we know we've got that long awful plane ride ahead. That's the main reason I'm thinking the RC--i.e. I suspect it would be more quiet than a Sultanahmet hotel. I do like the idea of being near the Bosphorus, because we love the water, but we'll have just disembarked from a two-week cruise (plenty of water views), and I imagine that we'll not even have time to do a Bosphorus boat tour of any sort-- too busy seeing the land sites and sights.
Weekender: I wonder why in the world the RC has all that tight security, like an airport. That would be a big turn-off for us. I know that Istanbul has had a few terrorist incidents in the recent past, but other hotels don't seem to have that kind of presence. Or do they? In any case, that kind of thing isn't likely to make us feel more safe-- rather the opposite (keep it on our mind) Btw, 4 Seasons is now close to $1000 (this is for early October)
I read the "preschooler" review/report: was really turned off.
Will look into Empress Zoe and a few other hotels I've heard about. Wish the Ritz were in Sultanahmet (and had some more appropriate architecture)
Thanks again so much for responses. Every one helpful.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 12:21 PM

Poss: Vehicles were also "wanded" by security upon entering the RC driveway to the hotel, too.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 12:58 PM

The HIlton has that type of security, too.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 01:08 PM

All the "Western" hotel chains have that type of security, even the Divan which is a Turkish hotel.

If you are 70 and just want to be within walking distance to the tourist spots, then stay in Sultanahmet. (I would stay at Yesil Ev.)

I am a city person and don't like "little villages," which is what Sultanahmet feels like to me. I like the hustle and bustle of Taksim, Beyoglu, and Ortakoy.

I thought it was fun to sit near Taksim Square, up the street from the Intercontinetal, and look at the Stambulis as they got on/off the city buses. I saw all kinds of crazy things.

I am a people person.

Thingorjus
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 01:12 PM

PS, where are you getting the prices for the Ritz-Carlton and Four Seasons? They seem low. Are you going off season?

I stayed at the RC in July 2005 and a room was $350 a night.

Thin
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 01:18 PM

Thin:

We went over Thanksgiving when rates were lower. We also had a weekend rate at the Ritz-Carlton.
Old Sep 14th, 2008, 10:35 AM

Proenza...I agree with you that the Yesil Ev would also be good for them...an excellent choice. It's a just few steps away from the Four Seasons and is really beautiful and very cozy. Plus, they will be in the heart of things. Also, although I stayed at the Empress Zoe, I had drinks and food at the Four Seasons. They could always drop into the Four Seasons and do the same. It's such a relaxing place after a day of walking. Happy Travels!
Old Sep 14th, 2008, 05:29 PM

We stayed at 4S Sultanahmet. Very good location, very nice rooms, terrible breakfast. Security visible with big guys at door but they "welcomed" us. I guess they use profiling or just are instucted to know their guests. New 4S sounds excellent. I wonder if rates on old 4S have gone down.
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 07:00 AM

After four days at the Four Seasons, my husband and i stayed at this hotel for one night in 2003. It's very nice with beautiful views but I did not like the location. It's awkward to walk places from there. If I were you, I would check the new W Istanbul. It looks fab and the prices are very reasonable compared to the four seasons. The neighborhood looked great to me (I'm returning to Turkey later this month so I've been doing a lot of research) and I would love to stay there but am going with folks who have never been so we're staying in Sultanahmet. Also, the W looks restful/peaceful (of course web looks can be deceiving)
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 12:01 AM

W has a good location. Good shopping around, posh and close to busting Besiktas area and close to jetty's for crossing to Asia.
Murat
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 05:39 AM

Dear Poss,

It is the best 5*hotel in the city without any doubt. The reason is not the building or any other things .The reason is the service quality and the employee empowerment. You may find a clean ,nice and a comfortable hotel everywhere but it is too difficult to find a hotel which has the best employees always keep smiling. They have even a motto for the employees . They say'We are ladies & gentlemen serving ladies & gentlemen'You will have a stay like a dream because their aim is always create unforgettable memories & they try to anticipate the guests' needs .You will also enjoy the Spa with its wonderful indoor swimming pool .If you will spend your time mostly in the hotel, I highly recommend you to stay on the Club Floor .
Please keep in touch if you need any assistance about the city and RC Istanbul.