Istanbul hotels, opinions please!

Old Aug 18th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Istanbul hotels, opinions please!

I am looking at the following for a post cruise stay in Istanbul...would appreciate any comments, suggestions. Budget is 170 Euros max, and these seem to fit the bill. All seem quite close to the important must-sees of Istanbul. Just want to make best decision!

Sirkeki Konak
Hotel Nena
Hotel Ada
Sari Konak

Thanks for your help.

Old Aug 18th, 2008, 07:45 AM

Sorry to add to your list but I love the Empress Zoe. We stayed there in 2001 and have subsequently recomemended it to two separate parties that loved it.
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 08:21 AM

I don't know any of them, but highly recommend Hotel Empress Zoe in Sultanhamet. I stayed there. Happy Travels!
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 08:28 AM

Blue House, Sultanhan, Armada ?

Sirkeci Konak is nice too.

Murat
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! Empress Zoe DOES look like a more Turkish experience. And it seems quite close to everything.
Did you have a double or the double with terrace?
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Weekender

Stay in one of Chez Zoe garden suites.

Old Aug 18th, 2008, 10:31 AM

As long as we are on this topic...I am looking for a hotle pre-cruise May 2009. I sent emails to several hotels on this list. Only one answered me - one of the K's, not sure which - and that was to tell me they had a 4 nite minimum. The others did not answer - do you think I am asking too soon? Now I'm thinking about using a hotel booking site for a different hotel but it does not have the ones I initiailly wanted. How far out would think I should be booking for Istanbul May 2009.
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 10:38 AM

We tried three different rooms when we were there- two of the doubles and the penthouse suite. We'd wanted to book the penthouse suite but it was not available - we mentioned this when we checked in and they said that it was free for two of our nights (we were there 9-10 nights) and, if we were preprared to move we could stay there for a couple of nights (at no extra cost) - It was wonderful and i woudl book that when if I returned - whcih I would like to do.

The only other comment I'd have is that the website gives a very good indication of what it is like - so if you like what you see on the web site, you'll love the place.
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 04:40 AM

Hi Suec1;

Its not too early and yes it is.........For some hotels it is not. If they say min. 4 nights I assume you are asking either Formula days, or there is yet another congress so they want to make most out of the occasion.

Happy travelling,

Murat
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

I contacted Empress Zoe, and they have 3 night min if it includes a Sat night, and since we have an overnight on the ship, we really only wanted that one Saturday night. I was VERY disappointed.
Hope I won't have this problem at the other hotels I try to book there!
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 10:23 AM

Tropicalkerry - what cruise are you taking and when? We are planning to do an Oceania cruise that sails May 24 - hoping to stay two nights ahead of time in Istanbul. Yeah I was bummed about the min. stay deal - the website did not mention it. Did you email Hotel Ada? get a reply? Good luck! SueC1
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 10:36 AM

It's REALLY too bad that the Empress Zoe isn't going to work out.
I was one person and had a corner room on the top floor. I had windows on two different sides...lots of sunlight and I faced the mosque and was right above the old hamman(sp?).
The owner was there every day and went up to the rooftop bar and chatted with guests. She's from San Francisco. I went after the big earthquake, so when I read that she was from S.F. I figured that was a plus. I'm used to earthquakes here in L.A. and I figured if another one hit, at least the evacuation should be smooth. On the ride from the airport to the hotel, there were many damaged buildings.
I had a great stay there. Made me really feel like I was in Istanbul. Maybe contact her and see if she'll wave the 3-night minimum stay rule. Who knows...you might get lucky? I'm sure they must have vacancy gaps that need to be filled. Happy Travels!
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 10:41 AM

Try Crowne Plaza Ata Koy. I stayed there in Dec of 05 and it was reasonably priced. They also have free shuttle that will take you to the center of town.
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

hi suec,

we are on Oceania Athens to Istanbul on sep 21/09
Second cruise on O and can't wait!!!
I had a MUCH easier time deciding on hotels for our last cruise than I am this time, as a matter of fact, think I'm gunna post for help soon!
Still waiting to hear back from Ada, hope it's good news!
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 02:16 AM
Eze

Check Hotel Dersaadet
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 01:10 PM

If you're still looking, we stayed at the Fehmi Hotel. I have photos of it and links to more info on it. It was very pleasant and in the middle of Sultanahmet area, with easy walks to the main sites and LOTS of restaurants to choose from. Nice folks at the hotel and free internet access available. Get an idea at
http://www.pbase.com/andrys/istanbul1

- Andrys
--
http://www.pbase.com/andrys/turkey
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

thanks to all again...I booked hotel ada and am happy but dersaadet and fehmi both look real nice too!
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 02:08 PM

Tropicalkerry - did they respond to your email? they never answered mine, maybe I should try again. I was thinking maybe I was trying to book too soon, but your trip is even further out than mine.
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

they aren't the fastest at responding, maybe 2 days. And they don't want a cc to guarantee the reservation, which kinda worries me...I'm not USED TO such trust!
Good luck!
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 08:35 AM

We just got back from Turkey....spent a week in Istanbul at the Hotel Dersaadet and loved it. I must admit at first we were not sure. The room was a bit on the small side but the view was over the Sea of Marmara. On the terrace for breakfast, depending on which side you sat, you either had a view of the Sea or the Blue Mosque. There was internet access, the staff was so friendly and helpful, breakfast was delicious (especially the eggs). We loved the location. It was away from real touristy stuff. The good outweighed the bad, for sure.
We had been disappointed when we couldn't get Empress Zoe, but we happened to stumble upon it while we were walking. I can truthfully say, I was happy not to be in that area....right around the Four Seasons, tons of shops and restaurants and it gets overwhelming.
After a long day of sightseeing we enjoyed seeing our Dersaadet sign on the quiet street..just my opinion...