Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   ISTANBUL ACCOMODATION : TAKSIM OR SULTANAHMET (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/istanbul-accomodation-taksim-or-sultanahmet-852610/)

suiksSA Aug 1st, 2010 09:17 PM

ISTANBUL ACCOMODATION : TAKSIM OR SULTANAHMET

Hi

I am in Istanbul for 3 days.

My boss suggested I stay over in Taksim. I see on some threads Sultanahmet might be better ?

I know Sultanahmet is closer to a lot of the sights ?

I am not into bars and nightclubs, but would like to see some of the city and walk around at night.

WTnow Aug 1st, 2010 09:40 PM

I'd go with Sultanahmet which is lovely and very close to all the key sites. Here are a few pictures of our visit there:

http://www.soultravelers3.com/2007/0...t-express.html

Have fun!

Michael Aug 1st, 2010 09:43 PM

Most of the tourist sites are in the Sultanahment, so if you do want to see the Topkapi, the Hagia Sophia, the archeological museum, etc. it makes more sens to stay there than in Taksim.

otherchelebi Aug 2nd, 2010 12:24 AM

If you like walking walking around at night as you say, you should prefer to stay in the Taksim area or, if your budget permits it, at Nisantasi-Tesvikiye area from October 15 to April 30.

And in the summer months, on the European side of the Bosphorus, between Ortakoy and Emirgan.

If you wish to spend your days checking the historic sights and resting your tired feet at your hotel after 10PM, Sultanahmet will be the place for you.

Sultanahmet will give you a sense of the grandeur of what the capital city of two empires was like, and how it can be undermined by greed and bad management. The other three areas will give you a sense of an exotic metropolis and its people.

suiksSA Aug 2nd, 2010 04:54 AM

Thanks for the info

Andy717 Aug 2nd, 2010 03:20 PM

I stayed in the Hotel Erboy, a very nice hotel in the Eminonu area, which is one block from the tram line and a leisurely 10 minute walk to Gulhane Park, Aya Sofya, Topkapi, etc. It is very clean, attractive, with a helpful staff and a nice restaurant. The room we had was in a renovated wing, and it was small, but well designed and immaculate and very quiet. The hotel is also near the ferry docks and the Spice Market. You can walk on a big shopping street safely at night and there are lots of restaurants nearby. Our double was about 80 euros including a free airport pickup with a 3-day stay, which was greatly appreciated! http://www.erboyhotel.com/en

emeritus Dec 5th, 2010 09:02 AM

I agree you, if you are not interested in nightlife , sultanahmet area is better
if u stay in a hotel with nice view, it can be extra cool :)

http://www.istanbulcityhotels.com

Caaspatri Dec 8th, 2010 06:01 AM

You are totally right - choose SA for staying close to major sights

hsv Dec 8th, 2010 01:51 PM

I strongly root for the contrarian suggested by otherchelebi.

While many major sights are located in Sultanahmet, the whole area is rather touristy. The life of Istanbul as a city buzzes on the other side of the Golden Horn and I'd always prefer the Taksim area over Sultanahmet. If you want to sightsee Topkapi Palace, Aya Sofia, the Blue Mosque et al., take a cab or other public transportation and head over to Sultanahmet within 15 minutes. After your sightseeing you will then be in the middle of a modern city with all its attractions within walking distance.

Plus, sights like the Dolmabahce Palace or the Mevlevi monastery where the dervishes can be seen are on the Eastern side of the Golden Horn (i.e. on the side where Taksim is) anyway.

Guenmai Dec 8th, 2010 10:07 PM

I stayed in Sultanhamet and am glad that I did. I stayed at the Hotel Empress Zoe, a block from the Four Seasons Hotel. It was a great area. I'd stay there again.

I went over to Taksim during the day and it was really different from Sultanhamet. Happy Travels!

opaldog Dec 9th, 2010 12:48 AM

I agree with Guenmai. We had 5 nights on our visit and also stayed at the Hotel Empress Zoe. We had amazing views of the Blue Mosque, Aya Sofia, and the Bosphorus. I would also stay there again. We went at the very end of low season; early March and paid much lower prices. I wouldn't be able to stay there in the high season.

Paragkash Jan 9th, 2011 10:36 AM

SULTANAHMET...
We stayed at Best western Hotel Empire Palace, which is at sirkeci, adjacent to Sultanahmet. Half a minute to the tram stop. ( makes it easy to visit Domblabahce Palace and Taksim area too. 5 minutes walk to Topkapi palace, Aya Sofia and all other attractions. The atmosphere is lively. I loved the hotel.

julia1 Jan 9th, 2011 12:17 PM

I strongly agree with otherchelabi and hsv about staying in Taksim area rather than Sultanahmet. I've stayed in both.

If you plan to spend your days touring S'met historic sites and your nights falling exhausted into bed, then S'met is where you should probably stay. S'met is indeed close to the major tourist sites but is also very touristy itself, it's present-day <i>raison d'être</i> being to serve the tourist industry, with lots of annoying touts about who will try to sell you things, mostly postcards and carpets.

If you would also like to experience the energy and magic of this brilliant city, stay in Taksim and easily visit S'met from there.

Paragkash Jan 9th, 2011 09:07 PM

I agree with otherchelebi.. Walking down Istiklal Kadesi is an experience to be remembered. The Taksim and many areas around are really vibrant.
As a tourist spending only 4 days in the city, the choice is yours.

ftoglu Jan 11th, 2011 01:24 PM

I am fully agree with otherchelebi,hsv, julia. At night Sultanahnet has no attraction for anybody, just empty streets.
But Taksim, especillay Istiklal Caddesi (long pedestrian street along Beyoglu district)is always lively and charming.It is not necessarly for night clubs to be there, just leave yourself to the stream of very cosmopolit crowd, have a Turkish coffee in a patisserie or beer in a cafe, dont afraid to enter the crossing narrow streets along the Istiklal Caddesi as there is some crowd.I visit Istanbul at least once in a month, but never miss the night walk on Istiklal Caddesi.
have a good trip