Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Issues with hotel in Salzburg with air conditioning and twin beds (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/issues-with-hotel-in-salzburg-with-air-conditioning-and-twin-beds-1701000/)

patriciatbrogan Sep 6th, 2021 05:33 AM

Issues with hotel in Salzburg with air conditioning and twin beds

Hi, we are spending 4 nights in Salzburg - and then a second booking of 1 night and have booked NH Salzburg at a price of 110 Euro's a night as it seems to have excellent air conditioning (which is very important to us) and we booked twin beds - we booked this well over a fortnight previous to our first booking. It turns out they cannot "guarantee" that we have single beds - we are not a married couple, we are not even sisters, we do not want to sleep in the same double bed together!

Can anyone recommend a decent hotel/ apartment with excellent air conditioning and single beds for our price - this has now become urgent so would appreciate any help, we basically want to stick to the budget we have.
Thanks

bilboburgler Sep 6th, 2021 05:47 AM

not with a guarantee

Melnq8 Sep 6th, 2021 06:03 AM

Several months ago I optimistically put together an itinerary for a summer visit to Salzburg with a friend who can't live without air conditioning. We needed either separate single rooms or a decent sized double with two beds. I did a lot of research on accommodation, and lucky for you, I still have the list, although I can't attest to how good the air conditioning might be. Space is more of an issue for me than air con, which is why my list shows room size.

I also earmarked some Air BNBS that would work for us, but haven't included them here.

Motel One separate (but possibly connecting rooms) 160 SF room for one person with breakfast. Also a 180 SF room with balcony for a bit more.

Mirabell location - https://www.motel-one.com/en/hotels/...burg-mirabell/

Sud location - 160 SF room for one person with breakfast. Not very central, some distance from train station. Would have to take a bus.

https://imlauer.com/hotel-am-mirabellplatz/ - 15 min walk from station, 10 min from Old Town, air conditioning, single rooms 150 SF and Double rooms 170-180 SF. Quiet, spacious, good breakfast, Good reviews.

https://www.dersalzburgerhof.at/- very close to train station, but quiet. Air con, excellent breakfast. 240 SF double room for one person (K6 rooms, annex). Rooms in hotel, singles don’t seem to have AC. Double standard 210 SF, air con, Nespresso machine, breakfast.

Are you needing just one night or four?

Keep in mind that if you want air conditioning, you'll have more luck if you stick to international/business/tourist class hotels - these tend to be chains.

As it's urgent, I suggest you scour Hotels.com. They're bound to have something that will work for you, and their rooms specify the sleeping arrangements, so the room you book is the room you get IME, although at 110 Euro, you'll definitely be limited.

Melnq8 Sep 6th, 2021 06:04 AM

Several months ago I optimistically put together an itinerary for a summer visit to Salzburg with a friend who can't live without air conditioning. We needed either separate single rooms or a decent sized double with two beds. I did a lot of research on accommodation, and lucky for you, I still have the list, although I can't attest to how good the air conditioning might be. Space is more of an issue for me than air con, which is why my list shows room size.

I also earmarked some Air BNBS that would work for us, but haven't included them here.Motel One separate (but possibly connecting rooms) 160 SF room for one person with breakfast. Also a 180 SF room with balcony for a bit more.

Mirabell location - https://www.motel-one.com/en/hotels/...burg-mirabell/

Sud location - 160 SF room for one person with breakfast. Not very central, some distance from train station. Would have to take a bus.

https://imlauer.com/hotel-am-mirabellplatz/ - 15 min walk from station, 10 min from Old Town, air conditioning, single rooms 150 SF and Double rooms 170-180 SF. Quiet, spacious, good breakfast, Good reviews.

https://www.dersalzburgerhof.at/- very close to train station, but quiet. Air con, excellent breakfast. 240 SF double room for one person (K6 rooms, annex). Rooms in hotel, singles don’t seem to have AC. Double standard 210 SF, air con, Nespresso machine, breakfast.

Are you needing just one night or four?

Keep in mind that if you want air conditioning, you'll have more luck if you stick to international/business/tourist class hotels - these tend to be chains.

As it's urgent, I suggest you scour Hotels.com. They're bound to have something that will work for you, although at 110 Euro, you'll definitely be limited.

Trophywife007 Sep 6th, 2021 07:05 AM

If they don't give you the 2-twin room for the 5th night can you stretch your budget to get a 2nd single room for that night rather than having to find and move to a different hotel? I don't see how you'll match that price elsewhere.

patriciatbrogan Sep 6th, 2021 07:28 AM

Hi Trophywife007,

No, we're pretty happy with our budget and it does generally suffice for most international hotels which, as is said here, are more attentitive to air con etc
Thanks

Trophywife007 Sep 6th, 2021 08:42 AM

You might check out booking.com. Some hotels there indicate the room you reserve -- whether it has one double bed or two twins, if that room comes with a/c, breakfast, etc. Not all give you the choice of twins or double, but some do if you scroll down the room types. Good luck.

Melnq8 Sep 6th, 2021 09:07 AM

Sorry for the double post, not sure what happened.

IME the room you book is the room you get on Booking.com and Hotels.com as mentioned above. I once tried to change at check in and learned how closely they adhere to the actual booking (in Germany anyway).

janisj Sep 6th, 2021 10:27 PM

From some of your other posts it seems your trip is in late September. It is very unlikely you will need a/c at that time of year (and some smaller hotels may have turned it off for the season by then)

Christina Sep 7th, 2021 08:59 AM

It may not be that hot in late Sept, but I know with globalwarming, you never know nowadays. Typically it may be a high around 70 there at that time,but could be higher and sometimes hotel rooms can get stuffy.

But what you may not be aware of in this part of Europe, is that it is very common to not have "real" double/queen beds but always two twins pushed together. SO in fact, if you book a hotel that says two twins, they could very well be right next to each other, although should have separate covers, etc., of course. I mean literally right next to each other. And rooms in that bracket may be small, so even the ones where they are separated, it may be only a couple inches.

If you cant' find anything, check out the Mercure. They are city center and do have AC but not sure about their twin beds (if they are apart or not).. (in short, scrutinize photos as well as you can for all hotels).
Their decor isn't that attractive there, though, although I generally like Mercure.

I also like Dorint in Germany and they have one in Salzburg center. They say they have twins, but can't see any photos of them, so again, not sure what you get. The Holiday Inn looks pretty nice inside but their twin beds are clearly only an inch or so apart, if you care. But they are separate. That is also in the same general area as the Mercure, NH, etc.

janisj Sep 7th, 2021 09:09 AM

"Typically it may be a high around 70 there at that time,"

70°F definitely wouldn't be unheard of but would be pretty unusual -- by the end of the month average highs would be low to mid-60's. But in any case that is afternoon when you are out and about. Average morning/nighttime lows would be in the mid to high 40's°F.

Trophywife007 Sep 7th, 2021 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by janisj (Post 17282913)
From some of your other posts it seems your trip is in late September. It is very unlikely you will need a/c at that time of year (and some smaller hotels may have turned it off for the season by then)

I was scouring the OP for a date... how to you remember stuff from other threads? You must keep a spreadsheet in your head, lol.

janisj Sep 7th, 2021 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Trophywife007 (Post 17283114)
I was scouring the OP for a date... how to you remember stuff from other threads? You must keep a spreadsheet in your head, lol.

I'm clairvoyant :p

Nah -- Because a/c can be a lot different than in the States where it is usually available year round. In a lot of Europe a/c is seasonal (sometimes by city/region/country mandate) so I glanced through this thread and then clicked on the OP's profile to see if she had another thread about the same trip - and she had posted it is at the end of September.

Trophywife007 Sep 7th, 2021 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by janisj (Post 17283164)
I'm clairvoyant :p

Nah -- Because a/c can be a lot different than in the States where it is usually available year round. In a lot of Europe a/c is seasonal (sometimes by city/region/country mandate) so I glanced through this thread and then clicked on the OP's profile to see if she had another thread about the same trip - and she had posted it is at the end of September.

A regular Miss Marple, then. Count me too lazy to do that if they can't include it initially. Very nice of you.

annhig Sep 7th, 2021 12:43 PM

Reminds me of the time that i went to Rome with our language class on a trip organised by the college who ran the class. I had agreed to share with a friend to keep costs down so we were supposedly allocated a room with twin beds. However when we got there, and entered our room, there was just a double bed. Though neither of us was exactly comfortable with the situation, being middle aged British ladies who didn't want to make a fuss we just set about making the best of it, however some of the others with us weren't so sanguine and went down to reception to make their views known. Of course it turned out that there had been a mix up with the rooms and those who had booked a room just for themselves had got the twins, and those who were sharing had doubles, so we were able to swap rooms and everyone was happy.

Phew.

starrs Sep 7th, 2021 05:26 PM

I agree that booking a chain hotel will help in this situation. I checked to see the Hilton group options, and there are none in Salzburg.

If you do not want to share a bed, book a 2 (or 3) bed room and/or separate rooms. That won't help with the a/c, but it will help with the beds.

patriciatbrogan Sep 8th, 2021 12:46 AM

Tnanks everyone for all your helpful suggestions, at last after writing to the manager and eventually speaking to the front of house manager, I have had (in writing) an undertaking that we shall get twin beds, to be honest with you having travelled 3 or 4 times a year often over many years to Italy, they are far more efficient than Austria, I am shocked at the austrians' inability to think outside the box: for example I did look at the photos on booking.com and they were often (but not always) two single beds pushed together but they kept saying one can't promise single beds even though we booked through booking.com and ticked single beds.

When I get back, I may actually try and find who to write to at the head of the whole international NH chain and complain about this hotel and tell them they are a bad advertisement for the NH Group and this will, for all time, put people off choosing NH as a brand anywhere in the world.

chartley Sep 8th, 2021 03:59 AM

The easiest solution seems to be to build a replica Salzburg in the United States. Then you wouldn't have to deal with those pesky Austrians and their weird beds.

janisj Sep 8th, 2021 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by patriciatbrogan (Post 17283472)
When I get back, I may actually try and find who to write to at the head of the whole international NH chain and complain about this hotel and tell them they are a bad advertisement for the NH Group and this will, for all time, put people off choosing NH as a brand anywhere in the world.

. . . this will, for all time, put people off??? Really? I do hope you are joking but fear not . . . :(

Of course you do know that NH does not 'own' the hotel.

Trophywife007 Sep 8th, 2021 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by chartley (Post 17283618)
The easiest solution seems to be to build a replica Salzburg in the United States. Then you wouldn't have to deal with those pesky Austrians and their weird beds.

Good one.... like they did in China with Hallstatt.