Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   ISO Great Traditional English Tearoom (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/iso-great-traditional-english-tearoom-690828/)

aprilinlondon1970 Mar 24th, 2007 06:14 PM

ISO Great Traditional English Tearoom

I'd like to find a great place for tea not far from the British Museum (no more than maybe 10 or 15 minutes by foot or tube). Looking for a very "British" experience, and can pay up to 20 pounds a person (although that sounds quite high), but cannot afford the Ritz (36 pounds per person). Any suggestions?

audere_est_facere Mar 25th, 2007 02:53 AM

You're not really in "high tea" territory there. The Russell Hotel in Bloomsbury might do something.

The picadilly line will quickly take you to Mayfair which IS high tea territory.

Josser Mar 25th, 2007 02:58 AM

"High tea"???????

What the questioner wants is afternoon tea, unless the hotels and restaurants have caved in to American pressure.

Carrybean Mar 25th, 2007 03:53 AM

Take the tube to Harrods & go to the Georgian Room. Beautiful setting with tea going for 19.95 GBP. Great service, crisp linens & very good sandwiches, pastries & scones.

Carrybean Mar 25th, 2007 03:54 AM

Oh, and it's the Piccadilly line to the Knightsbridge stop.

flanneruk Mar 25th, 2007 04:42 AM

When did they start eating high tea down south, where Spurs fans live?

Or does Audere think the British Museum is somewhere up north?

janisj Mar 25th, 2007 05:11 AM

Harro'ds or several others would be good choices. Buit I recommend something just a bit nearer to the museum. The Court Restaurant at the top of the Great Court in the museum itself does a very good afternoon tea.

Tulips Mar 25th, 2007 05:14 AM

I was going to say the same as janisj; the restaurant in the museum does a nice tea, but it's not a traditional setting.

janisj Mar 25th, 2007 05:34 AM

Yes - should have qualified that. They do a lovely traditional afternoon tea, but in the dramatic, modern setting of the Great Court. Not at all traditional or "olde worlde".

carolyn Mar 26th, 2007 11:13 AM

There is a Richoux tea shop on South Audley Street off Oxford Street near Selfridge's. You can ride a bus down Oxford. Afternoon tea is £16.50, or £29.95 for two. You get three kinds of sandwiches, scone with clotted cream and strawberry jam, a slice of dark fruitcake, and your choice of a pastry from their wonderful assortment on view in a big glass case, plus a pot of tea.

Can you tell I like them?

jwb10 Mar 28th, 2007 09:56 AM

You could also try the Orangerie (sp?) in/near the gardens of Kensington Palace. It is a beautiful setting.

audere_est_facere Mar 29th, 2007 02:58 AM

When did they start eating high tea down south, where Spurs fans live?

Or does Audere think the British Museum is somewhere up north?>>>>>>

We don't eat high tea, keep coal in the bath and we let kestrels live down south.

I can't think of anywhere near the British Museum that does "tea" with all the bumflufferies.

PatrickLondon Mar 29th, 2007 05:29 AM

Well it's a bit of a walk, but I rather think the Waldorf does. Or is that just a tea dance?

BTW, I've been a Londoner all my life and high teas were a regular feature of the weekends of my childhood, tinned salmon, fat ham, celery sticks, lurid jellies, aunts making pointed remarks, and all that sort of thing. Victoria Wood must have been eavesdropping on my family.

audere_est_facere Mar 31st, 2007 01:55 AM

The only times I've ever had "tea" has been as a treat with my aunts (who make Bertie Wooster's Aunt Agatha look like Mother Theresa)

PatrickLondon Mar 31st, 2007 03:16 AM

Ah, I wondered how you became a Spurs supporter.