Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > ISO advice for mix of beach / active vacation in Med. area
Notices

ISO advice for mix of beach / active vacation in Med. area

Mar 18th, 2013, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

ISO advice for mix of beach / active vacation in Med. area

Hi,
My husband and I are celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary and are planning a trip for mid to late June - without our kids! We wanted to go somewhere that neither of us have been. We love the beach and water - but would like some alternative activities - biking, snorkeling, sightseeing, treking, in addition to the beach. A cruise of the Mediteraneean region seemed like a great deal - in part because I wouldn't have to worry about planning our schedule and we wouldn't have to drive (I hate driving). Someone suggested instead of taking a cruise from Barcelona, to go to Sitgis and take day trips from there, or a ferry trip over to Mairoca. Someone else suggested Croatia. My husband has been to Greece a few times, so we crossed that off the list. Even though he has been to Turkey, he would go back that is on the list. And then since I have family in Sicily, there was also a suggestion to work Amalfi Coast and Sicily into the trip. I have been to Italy, but my husband hasn't and I would go back. We have about 10 days in mid to late June. We plan on using miles to get from east coast of US to Europe - so could fly in / out of different airports. I would love to hear creative suggestions of mixing a beach vacation with a little adventure in more than one location????
Thanks in advance!
Mar 18th, 2013, 11:47 PM

Sardinia had the best beaches in Europe and stunning scenery.
Mar 19th, 2013, 08:07 AM

Any of those places would be a good option. I would let travel options dictate--whatever maximizes the 10 days without multiple layovers.
You do not have to rent a car. My husband and I both hate driving and have visited Spain, Croatia, Italy, and Turkey and not done so and still had amazing trips. I will say that Mediterranean Turkey is somewhere you would probably need a car.
I think with a cruise you don't really get to experience a country. With forums like this, you can read others' trip reports and the trips practically plan themselves!

Search this Thread