Search

2 Days In Rome - Seeing it all on a budget

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 Days In Rome - Seeing it all on a budget

Howdy folks,

I am fortunate to be going to Europe in April and have 2 days to hang out in Rome.

I'm in my mid-30's and not a huge history buff. I want to see the highlights and take in a bit of the nightlife. I'm on a budget but not a backpacker's budget, if you know what I mean.

I'd love to hear some recommendations: where to stay, what to see, where to grab a few drinks and take in some nightlife.
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 03:55 PM

http://www.the-beehive.com/
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 05:05 PM

There are quite a few reasonable restaurants and shops around Piazza Navonna for some nightlife and dining.Although you say you are not a history buff, you really should do a half day of the famous Roman ruins;perhaps a half day trip to the Vatican museum and then walking the path from Spanish Steps,Pantheon to the Piazza Navonna to see and experience the typical tourist sites.
Old Mar 19th, 2013, 07:04 AM

"2 days in Rome - seeing it all." Haha!
I've been to Rome 4 times, barely scratched the surface.

Definitely see one of the big sites - Coliseum, Forum, Vatican, etc.
'Rome Walks' offers a free walking tour every evening, meeting at the Keats/Shelley House at the base of the Spanish Steps. You'll get a great overview of the historic district and can stop for a slice of pizza at the end.
I took it on my last trip and the guide was great. Definitely earned his tip.
Old Mar 19th, 2013, 07:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
previously I would not have suggested seeing the Vatican museums as well as St. Peter's, but they have changed the route since we last visited, so that it is possible to get to the Sistine Chapel in quite a reasonable amount of time - 1-2 hours - rather than the 5 it took us the first time.

so if you have 2 whole days, I would suggest a tour of the colosseum, forum [and Palatinate should you so choose - they're all on the same ticket] followed by the Campodoglio and the Vittoriano, then a wander up the via del corso towards the Pantheon, ending at the Trevi fountain - beautiful when it's illuminated [a very full day] you could go onto the Spanish steps if you have the energy!

and on day 2, the Vatican museums, St. Peter's and the Dome, a walk to Castel San angelo, and then a wander through the ancient streets to the Piazza Navona crossing over to the campo dei fiori and the ghetto and/or Trastevere

there are of course thousands of other things you could see and do, but these make as good a starting place as any.