Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Isn't there more than Italy and France in Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 11:48 AM
curious

I would say 80% of the questions/responses/suggestions are for these two countries on this Fodors site. I wonder why? I've been to Spain, Greece, Great Britain, Holland and they're all great countries...just wonder why all the "fuss" is about Italy?

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 12:05 PM
Dale

Is France in Europe?

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 12:33 PM
elvira

We can spell Italy.

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 12:47 PM
Tim

Actually I would like to know this answer as well. I have noticed this also. 80% of the talk here is about France and Italy. <BR> <BR>I just got back from France and Italy. They were great. <BR>Are they head and shoulders more interesting than Germany, Austria, and Switzerland? When is the last time I read a question about Switzerland? Not to mention Sweeden! <BR> <BR>I am wondering where to go next. Back to France and Italy? Or will I find great things in other places as well.

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 12:54 PM
Capo

*LOL* Elvira! <BR> <BR>Guess that's why there aren't any questions about Licktenstine. :~)

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 01:05 PM
elvira

or the Check Republic.

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 01:28 PM
Rex

And a lot of us haven't been to San Marino yet - - to tell you anything about it... <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 02:25 PM
Santa Chiara

"Isn't there more than Italy and France in Europe?" <BR> <BR>No, not really. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 02:35 PM
Jean Valjean

In my case, its a childhood trauma. I lost a spelling bee because I could not spell "Czechoslovakia". I studied for years and now it is called Czech Republic... sheesh...

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 03:23 PM
Bob

France and Italy are popular because of the heritage, plus no one has to do a lot of research as they know those are two places they need to see. A no-brainer type of trip. Sort of like first timers usually go to England because they are concerned about being in a foreign land and not knowing the language. England is safe. <BR> <BR>We enjoy Germany, Bavaria especially. Great area in summer and winter. Friendly people. Try it. You will enjoy the trip and the scenery and will not miss the other two countries at all.

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 03:32 PM
Lauren

I just finished a 2 1/2 week home exchange in Berlin, which is a fabulous city and not much mentioned on this board. How many of you know that it is filled with parks, rivers and canals and people enjoying sailing on them. I had no idea. <BR> <BR>I would recommend Berlin as a destination to anyone. I never had trouble finding someone to help when I got confused (I only speak pidgin German--and that very ungrammatically). I saw some wonderful sights and the best Picasso Museum I have ever seen. <BR> <BR>In addition to Berlin, I spent two days in Muenster because my daughter is now teaching English there. Muenster is totally charming and much cheaper than the larger cities. How many of you know that the Peace of Westphalia--ending the 30 Years' War--was signed in Muenster? I know that now. I just love learning history on site. If you go to Muenster, just watch out for all the mad bicyclists! <BR> <BR>I had some good food in Germany as well (although it is not France or Italy in that department). German food has moved beyond wurst and heavy food and can be quite good (and not expensive).

Old Aug 24th, 2001, 05:14 PM
Russ

Lauren---SSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! <BR>If you let the groupies know there is history and culture and nature and other wonderful stuff in Germany, they'll be clogging the autobahns and the Gasthauses with their ample fannies and their overstuffed suitcases and turn the place into another Cinque Terre (it's especially naughty of you to let the outside world in on Münster!) Keep on like this and you'll be paying tourist-inflated prices for all that good German food on your next visit! <BR> <BR>To the rest of you: "No, there's nothing there but Italy and France. That's it."

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 07:36 AM
other

Actually it's strange..I took a bus tour many years ago (see 20 countries in 9 days sort of trip) just to get an idea of where we want to go back to. I wasn't impressed too much by Italy at the time and thought some of the other countries more beautiful. But what do I pick to go back to?? You guessed it - Italy and France! And by the way, I love both. But I want to break out and try other wonderful places too...

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 09:02 AM
snorkelman

Having been to over 40 countries, i do have to say that most average americans that cross the pond will go to either london, paris or somewhere in italy. Probably because these cities are chock full of churches and museums and travel agents in the USA have package deals to these locations. If i had to suggest 2 or 3 cities to a friend that has never been to Europe, i too would probably suggest these typical locations, since they offer a lot. Personally, i have been to paris and rome several times and each time that i return i find more cool things to do. Unless one speaks french, and is intimidated in germanic speaking countries, i would probably suggest spending an extended period of time outside of france - but that is just me.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 09:07 AM
Crissy

~Espana~ <BR>~Portugal~ <BR> <BR>Ok, so they're on the Iberian Peninsula.. <BR> <BR> fascinating culture, wonderful food, Roman ruins, friendly people...YES! <BR>

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 09:18 AM
loverofpeace

Shhhhh.......... <BR>There are other countries, but please don't tell anybody.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 10:06 AM
curious

Hey snorkelman..give over!! If not for London, Paris and Italy...where would you recommend your very best friend travel to??...