Isle of Skye

May 17th, 2001, 02:47 PM
lisa

Isle of Skye

I leaving in 2 weeks for Scotland. I want to go to Skye. Need help with number of days to visit (2-3), where to stay, what to do and how to get there(drive or train). Has anyone stayed at the either of these two castles/lodges :Glenelg or Kinloch. Would love to see the otters/sea life. Thanks.

May 17th, 2001, 05:09 PM
Dr. Betty

Hi Lisa,
Having recently been there, we found that the eastern side of the isle, along the gulf stream was the most lush. If you take the ferry from Mallaig, which I would hightly recommend because you get great views going across, you get dropped off at Armadale, which from our brief foray, was the greenest area of the isle. From there, as you travel toward Portree, everything starts to look kind of brown. We stayed at Greshornish Hotel which isn't too far from Dunvegan and the Castle which was the hightlight of our 1 day visit (the castle that is). I wouldn't recommend the hotel for reasons I won't go into, but the Corry Lodge is a place that I have a brochure of given to me by another hotel owner. It's an 18th Century estate with mature gardens overlooking the Broadford Bay and across to the Isle of Pabay. Their number is 01471 822235. They have a 4 star from the Scottish Tourist Board and won the 'Best Accommodation' Talisker Award in 1995. Their rates look good.

For a lovely view of the seals, take the boat trip right behind Dunvegan Castle. If you tour the castle in the morning and then take the boat at low tide, it's a perfect experience. The castle also has beautiful gardens and a waterfall. We happened to see John Macleod on his bike and scruffies as he pedaled by us on our walk. I don't know if that would count as a celebrity siting, but it was great to see the Chief. A day and night on the isle was enough for us because of our itinerary, but more days would have allowed for more isle hopping.
If you are travelling by car, depart the island via the bridge and visit Eilean Donan Castle which is spectacular and what you see in all the calendars of
Scotland. They have a good tour but get there before 3:00 so you have time enjoy it.
Have a wonderful time,
Dr. Betty

May 18th, 2001, 08:04 AM
chuck

lisa,

We stayed at the Cullin Hills Hotel in Portree about 3 years ago and loved it. The hotel, in a beautiful private setting, is about 5 minutes around the bay from Portree and has wonderful views as it sits on a bluff. Wonderful bar/lounge with huge picture windows overlooking the bay. We ate at the hotel restaurant and had a fantastic meal (a little expensive, but worth every penny). The website is www.cullinhills.demon.co.uk/.

We loved the rugged beauty of Skye and visited the Castle at Dunvegan--highly recommend that! Unfortunately, we had only an overnight stay. I wish we could have stayed for 2-3 days to explore more and have more time to stop and appreciate the area. The shops in Portree were fun too.

One caveat, the ferry appears to depart exactly on time and the roads on Skye (especially the single-track variety) will take twice as long as you would think--facts I found out the hard way when I missed the last ferry of the day.

Have a great time!

May 18th, 2001, 09:20 AM
lisa

thanks to both of you for those great tips.

May 18th, 2001, 11:03 AM
Sheila

Lisa

I have dined at the Kinloch and it as very good food. I have to say th style is not me. I love the Hotel Eilean Iarmain or Isle Ornsay, which is a few miles down the Sleat peninsula from kinloch house; so if you stayed there you could easily go to kinloch for lunch. The problem with Sleat (which is the lush bit Dr Betty refers to, even if the Gulf Stream is on the OTHER side, is that it is at one side and not central for seeing lots.

Other people here have recommended as follows:-

Viewfield House in Portree (ph#: 01478-612217) is a particularly nice one.
Rosedale hotel in Portree
Sligachan- the climbers' hotel
Flodigarry House Hotel-It was a splendid place. (ph#: 01470-552203)

Personally, I've stayed at the Rosedale and the Slig; both are fine. The Rosedale is right on the harbour and the Slig has a great atmosphere. 2-3 days is about right.

There's a new otter reserve on Raasay, which is a short ferry ride away. And they do boat trips from Elgol to see the seals

May 18th, 2001, 06:42 PM
lisa

sheila you are a god-send. thanks again.