Search

ISLE OF MULL

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 1999, 06:06 PM
Clousie

ISLE OF MULL

A group of 11 will be going to Mull end of May/start of June 2000 and are thinking of staying in self-catering places. <BR> <BR>Does anyone have any suggestions of good places? Saw Glengorm Castle in Tobermory and Glenforsa Hotel in Salen by Aros (not self-catering) listed on one site; any comments on these? <BR> <BR>If not self-catering, any other suggestions that would be suitable for a small group? <BR> <BR>We plan to hike on the island and spend one day on Iona. The group wonders if it would be best to just stay in one spot on Mull or if we should do one in the south and one north to avoid spending more time on the road than on the trails. How difficult (time consuming) is it to get about on narrow roads? <BR> <BR>Any other suggestions of places to walk/hike/see? <BR> <BR>Thanks

Old Oct 24th, 1999, 02:53 AM
Sheila

I had started to answer this then went off on a tangent looking for another web site address and when I came back to it what i had put in had disppeared. So if half an answer is somewhere else on this thread that is the explanantion. <BR> <BR>Clousie, I think your biggest problem will be finding a single house big enough for 11. I have never done self catering on Mull but these are the best web sites to check out, I think <BR> <BR>http://www.grouse.com/scotlandthebes...es/walks.html- this one is generally about Mull's walks <BR>ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/AboutArgyll/explor.htm- this one is guided tours <BR>www.scotland-info.co.uk/scotland.htm -this one will link you to the Mull holiday page- I did have the hotlink but I'm nervous about losing this lot again. The page on Mull it links you to has the most comprehensive self-catering accommodation guide i could find <BR>www.b-mercer.demon.co.uk/links.htm- this is a general Scottish walking page <BR>www.uniquescotland.com/list.html- This has Carsaig estate accommodation on it <BR>http://www.holiday.scotland.net/- This is the Scottis Toursit Board site and is therefore, by definition, useless ( excuse my cynicism) <BR> <BR>I have seen the two houses at the Pierhouse and the Library, Carsiag and thought the location magical, if remote..and I really do mean remote! They are also adjacent to a stunning walk to the Carsaig arches. <BR> <BR>Incidentally I have stayed both times I visited Mull on the mainland at Lochaline in a Victorian mansion house, called Ardtornish- it's got its own web site- which has the sort of accommodation you need, is 5 minutes drive from the ferry to Fishnish which is a 20 minute crossing. <BR> <BR>Are you taking cars onto the island, because I think that will determine your accommodation location. If not, stay in or near Tobermory or Craignure, because you will need to catch buses and those are the best places to do it from. You couldn't stay at Lochaline without a car either. <BR> <BR>Ter is masses of good walking and the general stores on the island sell a couple of good pamphlets setting out good walks. There is one Munro (mountain over 300ft) on Mull- Ben More- and I could copy you a good magazine article about it if you would like. <BR> <BR>You can buy excellent cheese and there's tremendous wildlife. You can catch thelittle ferry to Ulva- a small privately owned island on the north west of Mull, and have a day's walking there. <BR> <BR>All in all a great week. let me know if you want any more details. <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 26th, 1999, 05:17 PM
Clousie

Thanks, Sheila, for your suggestions. I was able to locate several self-catering places through the sites you gave me that could accommodate our group--either in one house or two. <BR> <BR>Would really appreciate any suggestions for hikes that you could provide. <BR> <BR>We do plan to have cars, so transportation shouldn't be a problem. That's one reason we plan to stay on Mull rather than the mainland--thinking ferry crossings may be a hassle. Are reservations needed for the ferries? <BR> <BR>Any spots we shouldn't miss? <BR> <BR>We'll also be in Edinburgh area for a few days prior to Mull. Any estimate of driving time between the two? <BR> <BR>Appreciate your comments. <BR>

Old Oct 27th, 1999, 12:54 AM
Clousie

<BR>Clousie <BR> <BR>Glad you like the sites. <BR> <BR>If you email me your snail mail address I will look out some magazine articles on walking in Mull. I'm a magazine junky and I walk. <BR> <BR>You will not have to book ferries, although your first crossing you might be better to. There are 3 ferries to Mull. The main one is from Oban, and is about every hour.Caledonian MacBrayne have a web site, which I have bookmarked at home. let meknow if you can't find it. <BR> <BR>The second ferry is from Lochaline to Fishnish, and the third is seasonal and runs from the Ardnamurchan Peninsula. <BR> <BR>Edinburgh to Oban, say 3 1/2 hrs. <BR> <BR>I'll be in Mull at New Year and will do a trawl for those pamphlets for you. How long will you be there/ And would you prefer the town to the country as a place to stay.

Clousie

<BR>Clousie <BR> <BR>Glad you like the sites. <BR> <BR>If you email me your snail mail address I will look out some magazine articles on walking in Mull. I'm a magazine junky and I walk. <BR> <BR>You will not have to book ferries, although your first crossing you might be better to. There are 3 ferries to Mull. The main one is from Oban, and is about every hour.Caledonian MacBrayne have a web site, which I have bookmarked at home. let meknow if you can't find it. <BR> <BR>The second ferry is from Lochaline to Fishnish, and the third is seasonal and runs from the Ardnamurchan Peninsula. <BR> <BR>Edinburgh to Oban, say 3 1/2 hrs. <BR> <BR>I'll be in Mull at New Year and will do a trawl for those pamphlets for you. How long will you be there/ And would you prefer the town to the country as a place to stay.

Clousie

Clousie