Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Isle of Capri and Pompeii in one day... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/isle-of-capri-and-pompeii-in-one-day-742755/)

donnae_b Oct 14th, 2007 01:12 PM

Isle of Capri and Pompeii in one day...

We are definately visiting both the Isle of Capri (blue grotto) and Pompeii on the same day. I think we will need more time in Pompeii to look around....
Do you have any suggestions?

quokka Oct 14th, 2007 01:43 PM

There is only one sensible suggestion: dedicate a day to each of the two. Otherwise you'll do neither justice. You'll regret it (unless you belong to that species of rat race tourists who believe they can see the whole of Europe in ten days).

LoveItaly Oct 14th, 2007 02:01 PM

No suggestion donnae since you have definately made up your mind. But there is no way I would attempt to visit Pompeii and Capri all on the same day.

TravMimi Oct 14th, 2007 02:16 PM

The round trip on hydrofoil Naples - Capri will eat up 2 hours alone. It could take 2 hours for the 10 min Blue Grotto excursion. Last hyrdrofoil back to Naples is around 7:45 PM. Naples - Pompeii round trip is 1.5 hours at best. Allowing a minimum of 4 hrs for Pompeii that doesn't leave much time for Capri.

janisj Oct 14th, 2007 02:28 PM

&quot;<i>We are definately visiting both the Isle of Capri (blue grotto) and Pompeii on the same day . . . . . . . Do you have any suggestions?</i>&quot;

Yes, but you won't like them :)

As the others say - just not a good idea. If you are set on trying it, good luck, but no suggestions from here.

Dayle Oct 14th, 2007 02:45 PM

Hi Donnae,

I agree with the others, this isn't a good idea. Even if you are the type of visitor is happy with a &quot;brief overview&quot;, the transportation time alone makes it impractical for one day.

Choose one.

P_M Oct 14th, 2007 02:59 PM

Very bad idea, you will barely see anything of either place. And be advised the Blue Grotto is not something you can visit at any given time on any given day. This is because you cannot get into the grotto at high tide. I've been to Capri twice and both times I was unable to get in.

As suggested above, spend one day at each place. If you don't have that kind of time, choose one or the other. Personally I would choose Capri, but that's JMO. If you do go to Capri, check the tidal forecast in advance.

i_am_kane Oct 14th, 2007 03:01 PM

donnae_b,

Sage advise from the previous posters.

Gina_07 Oct 14th, 2007 03:12 PM

It is almost impossible. By the time you reach one destination, you have to get back in order to get to the second destination--tired, frustrated, having experienced nothing.

virgi Oct 14th, 2007 03:13 PM

Well if your energenic, and don't plan on 'studying' Pompeii, you go there in the morning &amp; capri in the afternoon. Best way to get to Capri, is take the metro outta Naples central, to Meergilina, and catch the boat from there. As previously posted, there's no guareentee about the blue lagoon- they only take people there under certain conditions. I don't know where travelmini gets all that time between Naples and Pompeii, it took me 10 minutes by public bus from main bus station in Naples to Pompeii- then maybe 20 minutes on metro from there to Mergilina-then maybe 10 minutes walk from train-exit to dock.

nytraveler Oct 14th, 2007 04:06 PM

The problem with going to Capri in the afternoon is that the last boats back to the mainland leave in the late afternoon.

Frankly, I don;t think this is possible. But- if you want to do it you must get the first boat to Capri, then take the first launch to the Blue Grotto, get back to the little port and head right back to Naples. You won;t have time to see anything else on Capri - either the towns of Capri or Anacapri or the Roman ruins.

Then head to Pompeii and you will have a couple of hours (assuming you're going in the summer when daylight hours are longer).

You will see very little of either - but will be able to say you've been there.

donnae_b Oct 14th, 2007 04:21 PM

Wow and thank you all for your input!! Do you think that we could do both the Isle of Capri and Herculaneum in one day?

donnae_b Oct 15th, 2007 07:52 AM

TTT

rkkwan Oct 15th, 2007 08:14 AM

No, as you have basically the same issues.

virgi Oct 15th, 2007 08:33 AM

donnae-b: NYtraveler hit it right on the button. IMO, with 2 days, concentrate on 2 places, one for each day. Why not do Pompeii in one day, relax as you absorb &amp; appriciate, have a nice meal, and set out to Capri the next day. It has more interest to offer than the grotto, many nice restaurants, other boat excursions from there. This way IMO, there's always so much to go back for, rather than scanning a bunch of areas at once.

janisj Oct 15th, 2007 09:45 AM

i'd just accept that Capri is a trip in and of itself. Not really possible to combine it w/ any other major site(s).

gruezi Oct 15th, 2007 09:55 AM

Just visited both sites a few weeks ago and am not sure on logistics but sounds like a private helicopter would make Capri and Pompeii doable.

What interests you more? Ruins, or beautiful views, shops, and restaurants? Pompeii was really interesting but I was disappointed not to see many of the artifacts that reside in a museum in Naples. Next time, I'd combine the site with the museum.

Capri was beautiful but so was all of the Amalfi coast. Next time I'd actually stay on Capri for a few days and settle in. I felt like a cruise day-tripper trying to &quot;see it all&quot; in one day...

Good luck...

John_T_Cuttino Oct 15th, 2007 10:28 AM

We did a tour as part of a cruise ship itinerary where we left from Naples (by coach) toured Pompei, had lunch in Sorrento, went to Capri and returned on the last hydrofoil to Naples.
On your own, I wouldn't risk it. Nor would I do the blue grotto at all (have done this). Much better to explore Capri with the time. The blue grotto trip (if it is on) requires several transfers to smaller and smaller boats.

quokka Oct 15th, 2007 10:38 AM

Capri and Herculaneum would be just the same hassle as Capri and Pompeii.

*shakes head*

plpreston Oct 15th, 2007 10:44 AM

If you do not have time for a day in each location, pick one. You will not do justice to either location in trying to attempt this. &quot;I think we will need more time in Pompeii to look around&quot;....You need more time, not only in Pompeii but also in Capri.