Reload this Page >

Isle of Arran, Scotland advice needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 11:55 AM
Maria

Thinking about spending a few days on the Isle of Arran in Scotland. We'll be coming by ferry from Belfast with a car, probably to Troon. We're interesting in golfing (we're beginners, so none of the major courses) and hiking/hill walking. But we also don't want to go too far north, as we'll be driving down to Liverpool at the end of our stay.<BR><BR>Advice I'm looking for: what village would you choose to base yourself in, and why; accommodation recommendations (price isn't a problem, but just want something pleasant, preferably within walking distance of a pub, not counting the hotel's pub); golf course recommendations (prefer links course).<BR><BR>Alternatively, tell me why we shouldn't go to Arran, and where else we should spend 3 days and 2 nights on the west coast of Scotland.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 03:04 PM
Jay

Maria,<BR>I think there are seven golf courses on the island, Brodick, Glen Sannox, Lochranza,Machrie,Shiskine,Whiting Bay and Lamlash. Most are 9-hole courses.<BR>The hill walking and climbing are excellent. Brodick is the main ferry port for the island and if travelling by car is a good central point to stay. Have stayed at Kilmichael Country House Hotel in Brodick a couple of times and would recommend it, but it is small and could be busy depending on when you are visiting. Best check out their website. Again the ferries could be busy and you would be advised to contact Caledonian MacBrayne at www.calmac.co.uk.<BR>If you intend visiting in summer, pack waterproof gear, especially if you are hillwalking and put in insect repellant - the midges can be hell!<BR>If you fancy another location, you could try Mull which has everything that Arran can offer, but is a bit further away and will take longer to get to (about 5 hours from Troon depending on traffic and ferries). Tobermory is the biggest town on the island and has a great 9-hole course above the town.<BR>Have a great holiday, wherever you decide

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 05:54 AM
Maria

Jay, thanks for the advice.<BR><BR>Have you stayed at or been to Lochranza? Was thinking it might be a nice base, a little less busy than Brodick.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 08:06 AM
topper

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 10:19 AM
ron

I don't believe there is either a pub or hotel in Lochranza. The closest would Catacol Bay Hotel, whose pub is very cozy and friendly. If you think Brodick, with its permanent population of 800, might be too busy and hectic, you might look at Lamlash, which does have two pubs.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 12:44 PM
Maria

Ron, good point about Brodick. But there is a hotel in Lochranza (by the same name). However, maybe I'll check out Lamlash.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 07:01 PM
ron

Maria, I stand corrected. I didn't see it when I was there (but maybe I was too focussed on getting to the distillery before it closed)and my ultra-detailed Harvey's map does not show a pub in the village.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 08:16 AM
Ann

Ron--is the distillery worth a visit?

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 07:08 AM
ron

Ann, I got there too late for the last tour, so the best I could do was a tasting and a visit to the gift shop. While waiting for my ride after, I spoke to a couple who had done the tour as part of a number of distillery tours, and they thought it worthwhile. It is a newly built building, the first licensed distillery on Arran in over 150 years, or some such. I believe it is one of the few where the malting of the barley and distilling is co-located, so you get to see the complete process.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 07:02 PM
Jay

Maria,<BR>Haven't stayed in Lochranza, but passed through it on several occasions. Smaller than and less busy than Brodick, fewer shops but possibly poorer access to the hills. Brodick provides a handy base for Glen Rosa, Goatfell and other hills as well as Brodick Castle. The island is really not that large, and if you have a car most things are accessible from whatever location you choose to stay in.<BR><BR>Re your note to Ron - All distilleries are worth visiting, you usually get to sample the final product.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 11:47 AM
Maria

Jay-thanks. Yes, that was a silly question about the distillery, wasn't it?<BR><BR>Thanks for the info on Lochranza v. Brodick, but since I've already sent a deposit for my hotel, I guess we're staying in Lochranza. But I discovered something interesting when calling B&Bs around Lochranza. No one has en-suite rooms! I was finally told by one owner that I'd have to go to the Lochranza Hotel for an en suite. You'd think on an island boasting both a distillery and a brewery that there would be more private toilets.