islands with teenagers

Search

islands with teenagers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
islands with teenagers

We are going in July and are spending our first night in Athens. The next morning we have a ferry booked (super economy) to Mykonos. 5 Nights later we have flights booked from Santorini to Athens. Then we have 2 night in Athens. I was planning on:
1st night- Athens
2nd & 3rd -Mykonos
4th, 5th, 6th- Santorini
7th & 8th- Athens
We have a 19 yr old and 17 year old that need to constantly be active. I just read that Santorini doesn't have much to do. They do not want to lay on beaches or sit still. Should I cut Santorini by one or two nights and add another island, stay in Mykonos for 3 nights and Santorini for 2, or leave as is? Any help would be great. Thanks
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 11:45 AM

On Mykonos if beaches aren't the main attraction for them that leaves a daytrip to Delos, shopping and the nightlife. Mykonos is famous for it. Santorini's nightlife isn't as famous but is quite lively in July, there are lots of young people from all over the world there, perhaps more in their age group than on Mykonos. If nightlife isn't a high priority either Santorini has a couple of hiking trails and historical sites plus a small archaeological museum in Fira. If they're skilled on motorbikes Santorini is a good island for exploration on rental scooters and ATVs as long as they're cautious. The main road to Oia is particularly dangerous because of all the blind curves, but the secondary road is safe. The roads on the rest of the island are not much of a hazard, although July traffic will be busy. I hope this information helps you decide.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Yes that helps alot. I will leave it as it is and we will travel around Santorini for a couple of days. Do you have any recommedations for hotels in Mykonos. I think we should be within walking to center so we can go shopping and out at night and a pool would be nice if possible (we also have a four year old). We're trying not to spend too much and their are five of us.

Also we booked a room at the Ellinon Thea Hotel in Firostefani in Santorini for 287/ night. Expensive for us but it seemed to have alot of room. Do you know anything about it? Is it really close enough to Fira for nightlife?

We also need suggestions for Athens hotels near the Plaka. We usually share 1 room to save money but can get two if required. Thanks
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 02:01 PM

Sorry, I can't help you with Mykonos, perhaps someone else here will pick up the slack.

I don't know the Ellinon Thea Hotel in Firostefani but Firostefani is just a short 15-minute walk from the center of Fira, the island's social/commercial hub.

In the area near both the Plaka and Syntagma Square check out the Attalos Hotel, Cecil Hotel, Magna Grecia Hotel, Arethusa Hotel, Hotel Pan, Hotel Plaka, Hermes Hotel and the Electra Hotel. These are some, but not all, of the budget hotels within convenient walking distance of the Plaka as well as being easily reached from the airport and ferry port by Metro and airport bus.

Old Feb 15th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for all your help!
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 02:40 PM

Last summer while visitng Fira with out 16 ywear old duaghter we stayed at
Athina Repose Santorini Suites
Fira 84700 Santorini Island (Thira) Greece
Tel.: (+30) 22860 24910, Fax: (+30) 22860 24913
E-mail: [email protected]
Stayed in a Junior Suite which had two rooms. A bedroom bath and living room with a fold out couch with could lsleep two. It had a small kitchen also. They also have a great outdoor pool with a view of the caldera, one the few places with a pool it seemed. We had out own balcony where we ate the nice complimentry breakfast they brought to our room each morning at the time we asked. The staff was great and they even had someone carry our luggage up the hill at the end of our stay. We negotiated a lower rate by paying cash. Our daughter said it was the highlight of her tri[p. she loved the shopping food and all the activity. We took a day trip on to the volcano and the small islad in the caldera.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 02:42 PM

Oh, and we stayed at the Magna Grecia in the Plaka. I think the est location you can get in the Plaka. We had a room with an extra bed that was behind a wall for privacy. But it only slept one person not sure if they can accomodate four in a room. The breakfast was super and served on the rooftop overloking the Accoplis. Good service. Ask for Stelios
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much. I have e-mailed the hotels. The one in Santorini looks amazing. I hadn't seen it before.