Islands of Santorini & Mykonos

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 11:42 AM
Kara

Islands of Santorini & Mykonos

What parts of the islands of Santorini and Mykonos would you recommend staying on?

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 12:16 PM
Thyra

On Santorini it is desireable to stay on the Caldera Rim, so that you can enjoy the spectacular view...(truly it lives up to its reputation)
Oia is a town that is more quiet, and is quite famous for it's sunsets.
Fira is a town in the middle of the Caldera which is more "touristy".
We opted to stay in Fira, as we wanted to be close to shops and restaurants etc. But if you would like to be more removed the Oia would be best.
We stayed at the Loucas hotel for $70.00 per night spectacular pool, view and room, transfers to airport and b-fest.
For a honeymoon-type trip I would opt for Oia.

On Mykonos, we ended up staying in Mykonos town as again, we like to be close to the action, bars, shops etc. However, Mykonos is famous for beaches, and you may want to be closer to the beach, petassos (I believe, though I may be wrong about that) is popular, it all depends upon weather you want to be close enough to the water to lay on the beach with minimum of travel time to and from the sand, or close to the town, with easy ferry access and shops etc.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 02:42 PM
Kate

On Santorini, we stayed in between Fira & Oia in Imirovigli(sp?) It is the highest point on the Caldera. We stayed at the Astra Apartments which were wonderful (don't remember the cost.) Also, there is a walkway which you can take that leads you down to Fira.

My Sister was married on Santorini & stayed at the beautiful Hotel Katikies in Oia. A bit of a slurge...but lovely.

Santorini is BEAUTIFUL (despite all the cats!) Have fun.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 06:07 PM
Erica B

Hi Kara,

Agree with above posters regarding Santorini. Staying somewhere with caldera view is most desirable - though we stayed in Kamari Beach area which is also nice.

Regarding Mykonos, we stayed at Hotel Petasos Beach and loved it. The property itself is nice, the staff is very accommodating and location is great - just a few steps away from Platy Yialos Beach which offers boats to other beaches on the island as well. Bus stops right in front of hotel for the 10 minute ride to town, or you can take a taxi (very reasonable.)

Both islands are great - have a wonderful time!

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 12:52 PM
Kara

Thanks to those who have responded. It was very helpful!

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 01:59 PM
JEN from MICH in UK

Wow.... Santorini is as close to heaven as one can get. I absolutely love it. Just a note - don't get taken in by the ricidulous slide show at the boutari winery. The wine is great, but you can buy it many places.

I'd stay in Fira because you are closer to everything.