Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Island(s) to visit similar to Capri..Sardinia...Santorini...Ibiza (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/island-s-to-visit-similar-to-capri-sardinia-santorini-ibiza-1029675/)

mishotravel Nov 8th, 2014 08:13 AM

Island(s) to visit similar to Capri..Sardinia...Santorini...Ibiza

Dear Fodorers...
Have a question which is a bit general...I have been to Ibiza (not for the nightlife), Costa Smeralda on Sardinia, Capri and santorini.
I usually travel with my hubby and two young boys...we like luxury modern hotels/resorts and we are interested in scenery, people watching, food and sandy beaches with clear turquoise water. We also kind of like mountainous/ hilly areas rather than flat ones and with this I mean we prefer the scene when there are mountains in the background. We also like to watch marinas with the yachts of rich people!!!
My question: which of the following islands are similar (and how ) to the islands we visited and enjoyed (cities or town in parenthesis are the places we googled that might be similar to the places we liked):
Mykonos, Mallorca (mainly Soller), Corsica (maybe Calvi?) Elba and Sicily (maybe toarmina).
We prefer to travel in May/June for the weather and the affordable hotel rates but now that one of my sons is in school, we r forcd to travel mid July. I assume all islands mentioned will be so hot right?
Any input will be much appreciated as I am starting to research and kind of plan for next summer ( we kind of book and plan 4/5 months ahead also to try to get good rates in good hotels.
Thanks in advance

PalenQ Nov 8th, 2014 08:28 AM

Corsica certainly and Corfu is great for water sports and swimming. If you liked Capri you'll love next door Ischia.

Taormina is high above the water but the beach town of a different name under it is great for you - as would be the Arrigento area - fine beach resort strip there as well (Sicily) along with stunning Greek temples just in from the sea.

macdogmom Nov 8th, 2014 08:54 AM

Where did you stay in Ibizia?

macdogmom Nov 8th, 2014 09:06 AM

Not an island, but we loved Puglia last May. There are some wonderful resorts along the coast. Masseria Torre Maizza comes to mind.

mishotravel Nov 8th, 2014 09:07 AM

Thanks PalenQ.
I stayed in Ibiza Town in Gran hotel Ibiza and it was a great hotel.

mishotravel Nov 8th, 2014 09:11 AM

Puglia is on my list but I don't know I believe Sicily is a must do before Puglia... I visited Many places in Italy and can't get enough...lovely country...I also was looking into Abruzzo...still I felt Sicily first..don't know why....

PalenQ Nov 8th, 2014 09:13 AM

I did Ischia as a day trip from Sorrento which is NOT a good beach base - tiny beach - the town sits high above the sea.

Sicily has so so much to see and do along with nice sands - Agrigento, Syracuse, Mt Etna, Taormina, Palermo and lots more.

Smeagol Nov 8th, 2014 09:52 AM

I absolutely love Corsica and have been about 5 times. The Balange region is beautiful and Calvi makes a great base. May or June would be a ideal but July is doable (august is when it's really busy) hire a car and drive the beautiful north west coastline. Scenery is to die for, wonderful places to visit and the food..... Corsicans are also VERY proud of being Corsican... I like the fact that Starbucks et al haven't made it to that part of the Island. There are some world famous hiking trails ( although July will be hot)
You can fly direct from Paris or Nice ( or get a ferry from several French ports) or there are direct flights from a few UK airports....

kja Nov 8th, 2014 10:50 AM

Have you considered Hvar?

bvlenci Nov 8th, 2014 12:11 PM

You haven't mentioned Sardegna, which is just south of Corsica, and which, in my opinion, is even more beautiful. Also many yachts and super yachts! I think the Costa Smeralda is where many of the rich people hang out. Our billionaire ex-premier, Silvio Berlusconi, has a summer place in Sardegna, and in August a great many of the Italian beautiful people are in Sardegna to see and be seen. There is beautiful scenery, great food, mountain villages, and remains of prehistoric forts.

Another island I like is the little Isola del Giglio, very near Elba. I don't think it's much frequented by yachts, though.

I also don't think you'd see a whole lot of yachts off the Gargano (the scenic peninsula on the coast of Puglia), but maybe I'm wrong. I haven't been there in the summer.

If you stay very near the shore, most islands are not terribly hot in the summer.

aprillilacs Nov 8th, 2014 12:25 PM

I second kja's suggestion of Hvar, an island off the coast from Split in Croatia. The beaches aren't all that sandy, as I recall, but there are other islands in the area that do have sand. Hvar town should be filled with expensive yachts in July, with lots of people watching and high-end hotels. We visited in May, which was preseason and pretty idyllic. Split and Dubrovnik are both interesting towns.

The Sicily location that might really fit you needs is Panarea. Again, few sandy beaches but awesome, really awesome, swimming from boats you'll want to engage, and stunning views of Stromboli volcano across the water. July will, again, be hopping with plenty of boats and "beautiful people" (we've been in May and September, much quieter than the high season). You could do an island-hopping trip in the Aeolians, of which Panarea is one--off the north coast of Sicily, accessible by hyrdrofoil and ferry at that time of year from Palermo, Naples, Messina, and Millazo. (You could also combine it with a short stay in Taormina if you wanted to.)

Dickie_Gr Nov 8th, 2014 12:31 PM

Go back to Sardinia,it is the main centre of Europe for what you are looking for.

Some areas of Mallorca such as Portal Nous, Andratx and Cala Dor are similar.

Bonifacio has a good marina front and an interesting old town.

There is also Il de Re In France but it will not have the mega yachts around.

Quite simply there isn't anywhere in Europe like the Costa Smeralda, although since the huge clampdown on wealth in Italy it is nowhere near as up front as it was 10'years ago. The wealth taxes on boats are hurting the Italian marine industry.

In terms of heat : we have visited the islands of Europe well over 50 times, mostly in summer. Greece and Sicily do get hot but due to their geography the temperatures in the coastal areas of The Baelarics and Sardinia/Corsica rarely exceed 32oC.

A great alternative is the Swedish archipeligo, we experienced 35oC this summer, there are 20,000 to explore, foods great, English spoken immaculately but there is little ostentatious wealth on show. Just not the done thing in Sweden. Swedish billionaires probably sail wooden dinghies rather than 200ft multi decks.

mariha2912 Nov 8th, 2014 11:16 PM

Not an island, but might worth considering, especially given the exchange rates: Sidi Bou Said, Tunisia . Google and check pictures, gorgeous! Small stretches of sandy beach around town but if you plan to explore the wider area, tons of additional berach options.

phillipalstonbutler Nov 9th, 2014 01:16 AM

Hi Mishotravel,

If you're headed to the Med, there's no place quite like Crete. Not as small as the other islands you've mentioned, the vastness of diversity you'll find there is astonishing. Beaches to the Palace at Knossos and Minoan Civilization lore, the island where Zeus was born takes the touristic cake.

http://printarchive.epochtimes.com/a...0140501B04.pdf

I've mentioned this in several feature pieces in print and online, but the "filoxenia" exhibited by all Cretans is a love for travelers unsurpassed anywhere. Our favorite hotel there is Lato Boutique Hotel, overlooking the Venetian Harbor in Heraklion, the capital. But for a real Cretan adgenture, we recommend a private country villa similar to our friend VanGos' Grotto homes. http://www.grottohomes.gr/

If you're looking for a hidden gem, something out of the ordinary elsewhere in the Aegean, the Folegandros offers a unique departure from the norm. The ancient remnants of Panagia remind of a time when islanders built a temple to their chosen deity. The natural, historic, and especially the gastronomy of this place is utterly fascination. Be sure and try The matsata (a traditional handmade pasta) if you go. I'd recommend Folegandros Hotel Vrahos if you're looking for value accentuated by wonder. This fine accommodation sits overlooking picturesque Karavostasis Bay.

http://www.hotel-vrahos.gr/

Finally, if you're looking for a total departure into the rapture of Aegean island hopping, the isolate isle of Gavdos south of Crete is pristine, environmentally, and a haven away from "it all" for nature lovers. Legend has it, this island is where where Kalypso held Odysseus prisoner. And traveling here, you'll probably be captivate too if solitude and oneness with the locals and nature matter.

You can learn a bit more about Gavdos here http://www.crete-kreta.com/gavdos .. as for other island getaways, please ask, this is our travel news service's focus. I hope I helped some.

Lois2 Nov 9th, 2014 05:53 AM

Well there are some nice ideas above including Puglia but guarantee no yachts in most areas of Puglia. I would say Hvar in Croatia...staying close to Hvar Town ...it has the landscape you want...beaches may be a fun boat ride away....lots of yachts and beautiful people watching..could be perfect...maybe combine with Dubrovnik or Split. Hvar is a beautiful island. July things will be gearing up and August there will be so many yachts it is hard to see the water.

mishotravel Nov 9th, 2014 07:56 AM

OMG thanks a million every one...
Many ideas and suggestions...I will do my homework now and promise to look into every single one of them....many many thanks to all of you...will let you all know when I put a plan together...

PetrosB3 Nov 9th, 2014 10:15 AM

The Cycladic island of Mykonos is considered the most luxurious resort in the Mediterranean. Some of the best hotels in the world, dozens of awarded restaurants, large sandy beaches with turquoise waters and great facilities, the picturesque Old Town, the Museums, the UNESCO Archaeological site of Delos, and all these under the always shining Greek sun. You won't regret it ;)

Dickie_Gr Nov 9th, 2014 11:43 AM

"considered the most luxurious resort in the Mediterranean"

Possibly by Greeks.

Smeagol Nov 9th, 2014 01:10 PM

Also consider... Where there a luxury yachts , there are prices in hotels and restaurants to match!

mishotravel Nov 15th, 2014 03:22 AM

Thanks again ... Am doing my research using all ur great suggestions..