Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to get from Marco Polo (VCE) airport to Hotel (San Stae stop)

Old Mar 24th, 2015, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone advise how to get from the VCE airport to San Stae. My hotel address is Sestiere Santa Croce, 2160, 30125 Venezia, Italy. I was hoping to take the waterbus (less expensive then a water taxi). Can you also advise on how long it will take to go from the airport to this stop?

Also, when we leave we will be taking the train to Florence. Can anyone advise how to get to the train station and how long it will take to get there?

Also can anyone advise if this is a good location for Venice? I am only getting two nights here (I land at 4pm on a Wednesday and leave a Friday morning) so I want to make sure I get an amazing experience while I am there. The cost is very reasonable (220 euro for the two nights). We found another place that is much closer to San Marco Square (just a 2 minute walk) but it is more expensive (280 euro) and a smaller room. Not opposed to changing hotels however if this isn't a good location.

Any must dos during our stay? Any reasonably priced restaurants that are a MUST?

Thanks!!!! I honestly am so excited!!!
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 08:54 AM

The Alilaguna Arancia line from the airport goes to the San Stae stop. You can check the schedule here:

http://www.alilaguna.it/en/linea-arancio

For that location, I usually take the bus from the airport to Piazzale Roma, and then catch the line 1 vaporetto a few stops to San Stae. I can usually make that total trip in about 45 minutes.

I prefer the bus plus vaporetto since they run more often.
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 09:02 AM

From your hotel location, it is conceivable that you might walk to the train station, depending on the luggage you have. It would take 15 minutes, but you'd have to cross a few bridges, one particularly high.

Otherwise, you would take the line 1 from San Stae back the way you came, getting off one top sooner at Ferrovia, the train station. This would take about 20 minutes, depending on how soon the boat came.

Personally, I like this neighborhood because it is quieter and has some good dining choices, yet is still convenient.
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 09:10 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
San Stae should be fine - what is the name of your hotel?

the hotel website should tell you how to get there most easily but it's unlikely that you'll need a water taxi. most people just walk from the nearest vaporetto stop, whether you use the alilaguna or bus and vaporetto.

once you are there you can easily get to San Marco in 20 minutes on the vaporetto, or to the Rialto in about 5, depending on the vaporetto timetable. plus you will be near to the Rialto market - not just fun to see during the day but also a great place for bars and restaurants in the evening.

you will also be able to walk quite easily to places like the Frari and the Scuola di San Rocco, and a little bit further on, to the Academia, or take the vaporetto and walk back. A good guide book should be able to tell you enough about the main sights for you to be able to decide what you want to see in the time you've got, depending on your interests.

If you decide that the Basilica di San Marco is a must you can book in advance [it's free] and you can also book to see the Doge's palace, either an ordinary visit or the Secret Itineraries tour. Otherwise you can play it by ear.

Have a great time!
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 09:24 AM

We took the bus to Piazalle Roma and then the vaporetto to our stop. There are so many "must sees" that are dependant on your likes but if you can just sit at a table in a restaurant at the water watching Venice go by, I highly recommend it. Also try squid ink pasta, it was our favorite pasta on our visit.
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much!!! It was mentioned that you need to take the vaporetto (sp?) to sans Marco square. Can you just walk there instead? How long would it take?

For some reason I thought the train station was further than a 15 minute walk. The hotel mentioned something about it taking 45 mon to walk there. Is this incorrect?

The hotel we are currentt booked at is called ca bonivinci b&b. is this a good spot vs being at a hotel in San Marco square?

You guys are the best!
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 11:16 AM

if this is your B&B - http://www.cabonvicini.com/eng/location.html - yes you can walk to Piazza San Marco - from your B&B google maps says it takes 15 minutes via the Rialto Bridge. You will find when you get there that some kind person has been round writing directions on the ends of all the buildings - so there are signs to "Rialto", San Marco, Ferrovia, etc. all over the place.

googlemaps also says that it takes 5 minutes to walk from the vaporetto stop at San Stae to your hotel with possibly one bridge to cross - so easily doable so long as your case isn't too big.

It's difficult to tell whether this is a better bet than the one in San Marco - can you paste a link?
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

http://www.cabonvicini.com

http://cadeidogi.it
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 12:26 PM

thanks for the links.

it is really up to you to choose what you want out of your trip to Venice.

if you stay in the San Marco hotel you will be right in the thick of the action, right next to the Basilica, the Doge's palace, and right on the waterfront over-looking the lagoon, or as near as makes no difference. However, there are likely to be a lot of people around, and during the day the area may get quite crowded.

If you stay near San Stae, it will take you a little longer to get to St Mark's Square, but you will see more of Venice on the way and you will be staying in a quieter area which is more convenient for arrival and departure - important perhaps when you have little over one day there.

if you pick San Stae, I do urge you to take the vaporetto down the Grand Canal at least once - it is really magical.
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 01:17 PM

i meant to say that you should see the Grand Canal at night as well - Venice is lovely at night when all the cruise boat passengers and day trippers have gone home. A 24 hour vaporetto pass would be a good investment, IMO - buy it from the airport with your alilaguna ticket or at the Piazzale Roma if you get the bus. [the SITA bus from the airport is better than the ACTV one as it doesn't stop and there is a luggage compartment underneath so it is roomier - the stop is just outside the exit to the airport].

Try to get up early on the morning of your first day and go to the Rialto Market - if you get there by 9am you should see it in its full glory with lots of people shopping, and before everything has been sold. It'll be much easier to do that if you are staying near San Stae. Plenty of cafes to have breakfast - try to find one offering "spremunta d'arancia" - freshly squeezed orange juice - to wash down your "brioche" [what Venetians call croissants].
Old Mar 24th, 2015, 04:29 PM

Yes, you can walk from your hotel to San Marco. If you walked by the most direct route without stopping, it might take 20-30 minutes depending on your walking speed. You can walk everywhere in central Venice.

I can't imagine the walk from your hotel to the train station taking 45 minutes. One could walk from the train station all the way across Venice to Piazza San Marco in 45 minutes.