Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Ischia Questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ischia-questions-553897/)

SandyB Aug 23rd, 2005 08:13 PM

Ischia Questions

We are beginning a trip to the Amalfi Coast in Ischia. We are flying into Rome, renting a car, driving to Naples and taking the car ferry to Ischia. Does anyone know the distance (driving time) from Ischia Port to Sant' Angelo on the sourthern part of Ischia. We are staying at Hotel Casa Nicola in Succhivo, near Sant' Angelo. Has anyone ever stayed here, or do you have a favorite place to offer in Ischia; one that allows one to mix with the local island people?

When we depart Ischia for the Amalfi area, do we have to take the car ferry back to Naples, or are there car ferries to Sorrento, Amalfi, Positano, or anywhere near there without having to go back to Naples?

Thank you for any answers to my questions or any of your personal Amalfi Coast recommendations.

GeoffHamer Aug 24th, 2005 12:24 AM

Car ferries go from Pozzuoli and Napoli to Ischia Porto or Casamicciola (www.medmarnavi.it and www.caremar.it). Pozzuoli is nearer to Roma and it's a shorter crossing. There are no car ferries to Ischia from Sorrento or Amalfi.
Without a car, you have a much bigger choice of boat services. Ischia is not a very big island and there are frequent buses round the island so a car is not necessary.

bellastar Aug 24th, 2005 12:55 AM

Hi SandyB,
I've stayed on Ischia, not far from Sant'Angelo

I don't know the driving time by car, only by bus (the best way to get around the island), and I guess it was under an hour, maybe 45 minutes or so, depending on traffic.

I do have some favorite spots, where I didn't see other tourists, but unfortunately none of them are reachable by car, only on foot, so I can't help much thee. Sorry.

Have a wonderful time, hope you make it to the thermal baths!

Ann1 Aug 24th, 2005 05:02 AM

What month are you going to Ischia? The driving time to Succhivo/Sant Angelo is about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes depending on traffic. Most of Ischia is based on tourists, but if you wander out of the way you'll find non tourist places. You have to be careful taking a rental car on the ferry because your rental agreement may not allow it. The above poster is correct. The car ferries only go to Naples. I don't know if you can get a car ferry (traghetto) to Sorrento or Amalfi from Naples, but I don't think so. You probably have to drive from Naples to Sorrento. Remember that the roads on Ischia are very thin and tiny. If you get lost, you will find your way back because it isn't a large island. Just look for the roads that are going down.

To get to Succhivo, after you get off the traghetto go to the right not the left and follow the signs to Sant Angelo. When you see a sign that says Ponza and Sant Angelo, don't take that. Go to the next road that says Sant Angelo otherwise you'll be going through the tiny town of Ponza and until you get used to the roads, you're better off going around. Succhivo is the town before Sant Angelo. It's a tiny town. You will see the Hotel Casa Nicola easily. I've never been inside that hotel.

SandyB Aug 24th, 2005 03:15 PM

Thanks to all of you for your information about the ferry to Naples. Maybe we will leave Ischia in the morning for Naples and catch Pompei on the way back south to our agriturismo in Furore. We are going Oct. 2-11th, and counting!

Anyone have a great restaurant, or a not to be missesd site or activity for Ischia?

Ann1 Aug 24th, 2005 05:48 PM

In the piazza in Sant Angelo is a restaurant called il Pescatore. The food is great. Their pizza is out of this world. Things to do....Drive around....the views are incredible. Go to the castle in Ischia Ponte, rent a boat and cruise around the island you can pull into little harbors and swim, go to the thermal baths, museums,etc, etc. October is a fabulous time of the year to be there. The weather is fantastic, you can still swim, very few tourists, etc. Love it. I think you will miss the Festa di San Michele in Sant Angelo. It's usually the last weekend in September . We plan to be there for it next year. My family is in Sant Angelo so I'm partial. I love to walk around the shops in Forio and Ischia Ponte because they are better priced than Sant Angelo.