Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Ischia or Capri (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ischia-or-capri-586202/)

PatRode Jan 29th, 2006 08:57 AM

Ischia or Capri

I'm just starting to plan my 20th anniversary trip to Italy for Oct. 2006. We're planning on some time in Rome, Naples and the Amalfi Coast. I think we'll only have time for one island - either Capri or Ischia. Which would you recommend? I like to avoid touristy, crowded areas, but everyone seems to say Capri still has a special charm - especially if you stay overnight. Thanks!

kamilayne Feb 19th, 2006 11:15 AM

ttt

CRAZY4TRAVEL Feb 19th, 2006 11:26 AM

Capri is very pretty at night and most of the hoards of tourists are gone. You will see them during the day but I still very much enjoyed both of my visits to Capri. I have not been to Ischia but people in our group that went were glad they had gone. It is much less touristy than Capri and from what I understand lovely. I can't speak from experience though..on Ischia. I did however very much enjoy my stay on Capri.

austingal Feb 19th, 2006 06:30 PM

Hi. Congrats on 20 years. We are actually planning a very similar trip for our 10 year this October too (10/26/96) so I will be interested in reading the replies. I was actually debating between Positano and Capri. Not sure if you have other thoughts or ideas to share. The fodor's site recommends some amazing hotels in Capri, but the ones that I was considering aren't listed on tripadvisor.com

Ann1 Feb 20th, 2006 06:11 PM

Capri and Ischia have the same magnificent views. They are sister islands so what you see from Capri, you see from Ischia. In October you will have fewer tourists on Ischia than Capri. For some reason Americans make a beeline to Capri. It is much more expensive. Ischia doesn't have the Blue Grotto, but it has other things. It totally depends what you're looking for. Capri is more touristy and Ischia is more relaxed.

knoxvillecouple Feb 20th, 2006 10:10 PM

Ditto the information from other posters. We stayed 2 nights in Positano and 2 nights on Capri and loved them both - didn't make it to Ischia, where I understand the beaches are actually superior to Capri.

Capri (and Positano) are both touristy, but probably less so in October (we were there the last week of September) than during the summer. My impression was that Capri during the day was a bit hectic but not if you left the main square where most of the day trippers congregated around the touristy shops, fancy shops, and caffes. After 6:00 pm or so, the place really settled down.

Positano was not as crowded as Capri, although there were plenty of tourists. The views from both Capri and Positano are incredible.

Have fun.

KC

wanderlust5 Feb 20th, 2006 10:27 PM

Capri is magical, in my opinion. And Sorrento, if you have time, is one of my favorite places. How wonderful. We love every inch of Italy. Have a great time...!

NYerr Feb 20th, 2006 10:33 PM

Avoid Capri if large cruise ships in port. Check the itineraries of major cruise lines and be aware that Naples may also mean hundreds taking the boats over to Capri. October is popular time. We were staing at Le Sirenuse in Positano and took a day trip to Capri and couldn't wait to get back to our hotel. Cruise ships don't go to Ischia, so that alone is a plus. Supposed to be really nice, and it will be quieter, if you like that. We loved Positano.

Huitres Feb 20th, 2006 10:47 PM

Definitely choose Capri. Ischia is nice, but Capri is legendary and romantic. Plus, it is a bigger island and there are more things to do there (boat tour around island, bus to Anacapri, funicular up Monte Solaro, walk up to and through Tiberius' villa, the Blue Grotto, etc).

Ischia is a lovely island, but one I would save for another trip if you will only have time for one island.

Hana Feb 21st, 2006 12:10 PM

Congratulations on your twentieth anniversary! My husband and I have travelled to both Capri and Ischia. Capri on our honeymoon in September 2003 and Ischia in October 2005.

We loved both for different reasons of course. On Ischia we stayed at the Hotel Park Romantica just outside of Sant Angelo. The weather was good - we managed to spend a lot of time lounging outside near the pools of our resort. We did not go down to the sea for sunbathing - it was not warm enough for our liking. Ischia was very quiet for this time of year - we enjoyed it not being overrun by tourists. Ischia is quite large and with Sant Angelo within walking distance we only ventured to Ischia Porto for one evening. We found the island very relaxing but we had no desire to drive around and explore. We were at the end of our vacation and quite honestly, our goal was simply to relax and soak up the Italian sun for our last few days in Italy.

If you are going in October, I would probably recommend Capri. We loved the Hotel Luna - minutes from the main square but detached from all the hustle and bustle. I say this because you have the ability to walk around the village square and all the winding streets. I imagine that Capri would have more activity in October than Ischia. I missed that on Ischia - Sant Angelo is small so we didn't have the opportunity for longer walks during the evenings.

I think either would be great depending on your desire for more seclusion and quiet.

PatRode Feb 21st, 2006 06:10 PM

Thanks so much everyone. Well, it's definitely Capri over Ischia. (Although the daytime tourist horde sounds annoying, I like a little more activity than Ischia has.) But like austingal I've started considering staying in Positano and just doing a daytrip to Capri. I'd like to get to Ravello and maybe Paestum and thought it would be easier with Capri as a base. Is Positano very hard to 'navigate' because it's so hilly? Is it a good base for travel? Thanks again.

PatRode Feb 21st, 2006 06:11 PM

Whoops - I meant to say I thought Positano would be an easier base to travel from. Sorry.

paulcraig Feb 21st, 2006 06:24 PM

My husband was in Capri when he was 13 and said we would HAVE to go some day.. an impressive statement coming from someone that age. We did go- in 2001...for our 25th anniversary-- and what a beautiful place! If we ever go back to Italy, we'll definitely visit Capri again. You must see the Blue Grotto - please don't miss it - and the summit at AnaCapri--just an awesome view you will not easily forget. (Rosa)

Ann1 Feb 23rd, 2006 06:14 AM

Hana: Sant Angelo has walkways up the hill for long evening walks. You can walk for hours. From the village take any of the stairways up to the paths.

Huitres: Actually Ischia has many many interesting things to do. And cruises around the island. Ischia is also the largest of the three islands of Capri, Ischia and Procida. Not Capri.

steviegene Feb 23rd, 2006 06:38 AM

Dont miss staying overnight on Capri!
This was the BEST part of our trip to italy
At night the gobs of tourists leave and you can watch the sun set over the ocean from Capri town. The glamorous people come out in their glitz - and eat late into the night. Sit in the square for fabulous people-watching. We stayed on capri for 3days-2 nights (1st day boat trip around capri, second day rented a moped - which is highly recommended). dont miss the capri experience, it really is magical, especially after dark!

steviegene Feb 23rd, 2006 06:41 AM

Also,
if you dont like the tourists....renting a moped gets you away from the marina grande. You can visit the lighthouse (where we were the only tourists there, which you could tell from our pastey skin compared to the too tan italians) and marina piccolo for a pretty swimming spot.

JacquieK Feb 23rd, 2006 05:29 PM

I too am deciding between Capri and Ischia, having already been to Capri once and wondering if I should try someplace new.

We LOVED Capri. We stayed at Casa Morgano, which was absolutely WONDERFUL! It was so beautiful, with such a helpful staff, gorgeous rooms with magnificent views, and wonderful breakfast on the patio overlooking the sea. Pure heaven. Our favorite restaurant was Da Paulino, an outdoor restaurant completely under lemon trees. We went in early June and didn't find it too touristy. What everyone says is true. You don't really venture into the main square during the day when all the day trippers come to town--you explore other parts of the island. And then at night, you feel as if you're a member of an exclusive club, when all the crowds leave and you are among the privileged few who remain to enjoy the beauty of Capri.