Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Ischia hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ischia-hotels-196230/)

Meg Oct 15th, 2001 11:24 AM

Ischia hotels

After much debate and against a lot of advice, I am deciding to spend 2 nights in Ischia in December. I know it will be cold, I won't be able to go to the beach and much will be closed. But I'll get to stay in a nice hotel with thermal pool and spa for cheap, day trip on the coast and not deal with tourists. Anyway, I've found 4 suitable hotels that are open, all around $50 a night, double. <BR>Il Giardino delle Ninfe & La Fenice, Hotel Oriente e Terme, Parcoverde Terme and the Villa Maria. I found them all through ischiaonline.it, and they all have websites. Anyone have experiences with them? Any suggestions for what to see, eat or buy in Ischia? I'm not justifying my decision to go anymore, just looking for further guidance. Thanks a million.

Duh Oct 15th, 2001 11:47 AM

Pardon me, Meg, but I have never heard of Ischia. Would you be kind enough to inform me? <BR> <BR>Duh

Meg Oct 15th, 2001 11:56 AM

Duh- <BR>Ischia is an island in the south of Italy, bay of Naples. It's near Capri, they filmed a lot of The Talented Mr. Ripley there.

John G Oct 15th, 2001 11:59 AM

Meg, did you see the huge article in yesterday's New York Times on the Amalfi Coast? You should read it at NYTimes.com. Just click on the Travel Section.

Meg Oct 15th, 2001 12:03 PM

Now it's my turn to say Duh! I live in New York, but didn't pick up the times yesterday, thanks John!

Linda Oct 15th, 2001 04:51 PM

I'm sorry, I can't really help you on the hotels, other than to say I have "heard" La Fenice is OK. (Don't make a decision based on my recommendation, though, since it's not too firm a recommendation.) But, for food, I highly suggest you try the spaghetti ala pomodoro, which is lighter than the spaghetti you'll find in America. Also try the insalata caprese, a salad made of mozarella, tomatoes, olive oil, and basil. The pizza on Ischia will be fantastic, just like the Neapolitan pizza. Any seafood or fish will be very fresh and, if you like this type of food, will be well worth the cost. Also, Spaghetti carbonara is a favorite of most of my friends. Drink the house wine (vino di casa); you can't go wrong with it. Also, try the limoncello, a wonderful liquor. To buy, try to get over to Sorento. Anything made of inlaid wood will be a great investment or gift. It's about 1/4 the price there. And capodimonte porcelain flowers are inexpensive and gorgeous. <BR> <BR>Have a good time. Ischia's a beautiful island.

Carolee Oct 16th, 2001 06:33 AM

Hi Meg, <BR>I spent a week on Ischia in September. It is a beautiful island and short trip by ferry or hydrofoil to Sorrento and Naples. I am not familiar with any of the hotels you mention-do you know what area of the island they are located on? Casamicciola, Ischia Porto, Forio, Sant Angelo? Any of the restaurants along the Via Porto have great fresh seafood. I recommend Gennaro and Clipper.Bar Calise is a sweet shop with local specialties. Shopping is not as good as Sorrento, but there are some interesting ceramic shops and the local wine Cru Vigna Spadara, or Cru Tufaceo are very good along with citrus items at Ischia Sapori. Limoncello from Sorrento is much better!See the Aragonese Castle, The Mushroom and Sant Angelo. But above all, enjoy the thermal springs and spa treatments! Hope this helps.

Meg Oct 16th, 2001 07:47 AM

All of the advice is greatly appreciated. All of the hotels are in Ischia Porto, is that the most convenient area to stay? I'm also wondering if there are other ways to get back to Ischia from the mainland other than ferry/hydrofoil. In December, they stop running around 6pm, and I worry about missing the last ferry and being stuck somewhere. <BR>

Thyra Oct 16th, 2001 08:15 AM

My Husband and I spent several days in Ischia in March 1999. Things were just beginning to open up, but the island is delightful. We stayed at the Hotel Regina Terme.. though they have full spa facilities they were not yet operating, but the heated pool was. It was absolutely delightful. Do rent a scooter and circumnavigate the island. Also, part of the Talented Mr. Ripley was filmed on Ischia. Have a wonderful time.

Sue Oct 16th, 2001 08:41 AM

Helicopter? Parachute? Swim? Submarine? <BR>I guess it'd be a good idea not to miss the ferry.

Linda Oct 16th, 2001 08:36 PM

Besides Sue's tongue-in-cheek transportation suggestions, the only way to get to Ischia if you miss the last ferry or hydrofoil would be to charter a boat. You might be able to find somebody at the port who would take you over for a fee, but at that time of year, it will be dark after 6 p.m., so most of the small boats won't be going out. <BR> <BR>As Sue said, don't miss the ferry.

Carolee Oct 17th, 2001 07:32 AM

The Porto area is very close to shopping and restaurants and the ferrys. When we were on the island, my husband had a business meeting in Naples. Because of an approaching storm, the ferry service was suspended and he had to spend the night in Naples!! Don't miss the ferry-plan thoroughly.