Reload this Page >

Is Your Tour Company Playing Hard Ball?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 02:29 AM
Ann

We are scheduled to fly to Turkey next week and decided it would be irresponsible to take such a chance. Our Tour Company refuses, at this point, to transfer to a future tour and is imposing a stiff cancellation penalty. I can't believe we are the only ones in this situation. Any thoughts or suggestions? <BR> <BR>I realize this problem is nothing compared to all those who have lost loved ones because of these terrorists and my deepest sympathy goes out to them.

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 02:52 AM
topper

I think that the prevailing opinion here is that it would be irresponsible to cancel and make a fuss about expecting a refund. <BR>

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 05:43 AM
abc123

I disagree w/ Topper. Noone wants to be stranded in a foreign country when we go to war. I postponed a vacation to Italy and have no regrets. <BR> <BR>You have to think of your family and freinds too. We don't want to see them on the news holding up your picture and praying your safe. <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 08:59 AM
No Name

Topper, please don't speak for me. <BR> <BR>I think that, as a gesture of goodwill, these tour companies should consider giving you a credit against future tours for perhaps six months. But legally, you're on very thin ice, so don't get nasty. You're asking for a favor.

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 10:11 AM
Disappointed

Yes Ann, I'm encountering the same problem. I was booked on a tour to leave in early October for Central Europe. Since I have a child in the military who is preparing to fly out, it seems irresposible to leave at this time. My daughter-in-law and my grand children need my support at this time. My wife and I are very disappointed to miss the trip (our first to Europe which we've been looking forward to for the past year), but as my son points out, it's not a wise move to get stuck in Europe. My niece is a flight attendant and was stuck over there for 4 days last week and reminded us how quickly we could go through our retirement funds. If we go into full blown war, international flights are likely to be halted or atleast very irregular and lodging can add up quickly. Unfortunately our tour company is only willing to give back 25% of our $6,000. <BR> <BR>I won't be planning on booking any more tours based on this. I have other friends who have had to cancel their trips this week and were able to get their deposits and airfares back since they had booked their own arrangements online.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 02:06 PM
D.J.

Dissapointed are you sure that you want to cancel your trip?I hope that friends and family are not influencing your decision.6g's a lot of money. From what I have heard more americans are going ahead with their travel plans than not.Myself included in Oct.The U.S. has no plans for immediate action. I have been watching the news and this is going to take some time to plan. If you dont go now, you may have even less of an opportunity in the future.The Pres. says that this could be a long drawn out conflict and terrorism may even escalate in the future making travel less safe.Just my opinion.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 03:33 PM
Belle

I agree with D.J. Even if it is a worse case scenerio and we decide to bomb Afghanistan, they said it would take 2-3 months just to get everyone in place! I think everyone is fooling themselves if they think by delaying, the problem everything will be better 6 months from now. Ann, I'm curious-- Which tour company is it? Lord willing we will be in Turkey 2 weeks from today..can't wait!

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 03:48 PM
Marcia

We also cancelled a tour to Turkey leaving 9/22. Our tour company is not imposing any charges but will return what they get back from their suppliers, the hotels and Turkish Air.This seemed fair to me, though I don't know how much of the $4000. we'll get back. It seems unimportant when we think of the numbers who've been killed.Right now, I feel I should be spending travel money in this country, though I don't feel much like traveling.

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 04:08 PM
John G

I was out of the country during the Persian Gulf War and I was not stuck overseas. And I can't recall anyone else being stuck either. I am almost positive my own mother was in Turkey during this time. I can remember her asking me if Turkey is close to Iraq and showing her a map.....I also feel that your tour company is under no obligation to refund your money. I would feel differently if you were directly affected by the WTC or Pentagon bombings.....I also agree with the above about the right time to go on vacation. Why is now not the right time, but next year is? A terrorist attack could come at any time. It was almost 8 years from the first WTC bombing and the one last week. And remember, the overwhelming majority of people killed last week were at their jobs when death struck. They were not on a plane. Just thinking. JG

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 04:16 PM
concerned traveler

I think there must be some tour operators posting replies here. Any tour company should make a good faith effort to recover monies from hotels, airlines and other suppliers and grant refunds to customers in view of the extraordinary circumstances we find ourselves in. It is unconscionable to do otherwise. Every American has and will continue to incur financial losses in the aftermath of September 11; thousands have lost their lives. Tour operators who do not grand credit for a future trip, or refund a significant portion of participants' money, are unscrupulously seeking to profit from this tragedy. Individual hotels in Europe are being most accommodating and flexible, as are airlines. Tour operators can recover their funds, and they are trying to rip you off if they tell you otherwise.

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 12:05 PM
Curious2

This is the only thread I could find on this forum which discusses tour company's handling of the problems since the attack and, curiously, no company names are mentioned. They are all "Tour Company"! I have seen many postings on AOL site and Frommer's Newsletter regarding the problems people are having cancelling with Grand Circle, Globus and Saga (as well as praise for others), but not a word here. Very Curious! This is definitely travel-related. I often take tours would want to know how a tour company handled this situation, but I sense there is censorship going on here.

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 12:23 AM
x

who, knowing what he's talking about, says tour companies can get their money back, whatever that means? what business could stay in business, in the long run, if it didn't realize a profit, that is, make more than its money back (besides the ones the government should subsidize for your own pleasure)? how many of you go to work each day hoping to be paid just enough to cover your costs of commuting and lunch? the excess (revenue minus cost) is your profit.(feel free to shower now). most tour companies purchase blocks of hotel rooms, and charter flights many months in advance. in exchange, they get volume discounts, so they can offer attractively priced packages to their customers. once a room night or airplane seat goes unused, it's gone forever. not surprisingly, it costs almost as much to fly a nearly empty plane as a full one. or do they cancel, forcing those travelers who want to go to change their plans? do the hotels and charter lines lay off their employees because some tourists (who contractually obligated themselves to those seats and rooms) feel squeamish about traveling this month? do their suppliers do the same? do you class warriors understand that even large enterprises can have financial difficulties, not of their own making? ever hear of midway airlines? renaissance cruise lines? does it seem at all hypocritical to you (of course not)to rail against a business seeking profits (or trying to stay alive financially) when you're harping about not enhancing your own economic position (that is, profiting)? seems as though it's really a question of whose ox is being gored. when it's yours, life is unfair and all business people (one of whom, by the way, has his/her own capital at risk to employ you) who don't feel your pain are criminals.

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 03:05 PM
nottouring

It is a problem for tour companies isn't it? They promise all these treats, nice places to stay, good food, and sighseeing, and then the US is attacked, there is bombing going on-terrorists threaten all Americans everywhere, and what is a person to do? Lose their money,plenty of it and stay home where they feel safe and perhaps being responsible for others that may need them at this time and the future..or go, because they paid all that money and the company doesn't care about safety , wars, responsibilies to family and others, they just don't want to give back that money! so what does a person do~See how the tour companies handle this, learn a lesson for the future, and know that if this is the way things are going to be-don't use tour companies to travel.We booked our own trip, picked out our own hotels, airline,etc.and when our family needed us here, we canceled...and Alitalia refunded us with nothing but courtesy and kindness.We did not lose a dime.So we will use Alitalia again, they came through this with flying colors~let's see how the Tour companies do ~

Old Oct 11th, 2001, 08:31 PM
Sue

Curious 2 <BR> <BR>I was scheduled to leave from Palm Springs California on Go Ahead Vacations tour to Greece on Sept 14th. <BR> <BR>My flight was cancelled and the tour company called me and gave me my options. I could reschedule any other tour for this year or if I preferred, I could reschedule for anytime in 2002. If this wasn't feasible for any reason they would consider rescheduling for 2003! <BR> <BR>They offered me a refund minus my deposit which would be used for a future trip. I don't think they could have been more fair under the circumstances. <BR> <BR>It's certainly better PR than hearing the negative. I have rescheduled for Oct 15th on another Greece tour. And,I know I will travel with them again. <BR> <BR>Sue <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 04:34 AM
willtravelagain

Hey Sue~good for you, happy to hear it! Have a wonderful time..Eat lots of yummy Greek food! Dance and drink lots of ouzo~tell us about it when you get back.