Notices

Is workaway.info trustworthy?

Mar 29th, 2014, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Is workaway.info trustworthy?

We are planning our second time trip to Europe. Instead of living in hotels and on the go all the time, we decide to find a way that we can get close to local people's life and culture. I encounter this website workaway.info, which provides hosts' information in any parts of europe, they offer you bed and meal, in return you work for them 5-6hours a day. Is this a best choice for traveller like us? Anyone ever tried this kind of travelling please share your experience with us, thanks.
Mar 29th, 2014, 07:38 AM

I don;t know anything about this but I would be very clear about:

1) Exactly what type of work this is (it may well be unskilled agricultural labor)

2) Exact specifics on rooms and food (will this be private room with private indoor bath for each room - or some sort of dormitory accommodation with very basic meals - coffee and bread for breakfast, sandwich for lunch and a stew or similar for dinner)

3) Also what will your working hours be versus time off
Mar 29th, 2014, 07:42 AM

Also - this is just a matching service - they are not agents for these employers. You need to investigate these employers and the conditions for each on your own - or you may get there and find something other than you expected.
Apr 2nd, 2014, 01:30 PM

Probably NOT.

However, the biggest issue, and it is a serious one, is a work visa. Even if your are not paid as a volunteer you still need a proper work visa. And they are very hard to get for US citizens. And in this case you are being paid even if it is only room and board.

Search this Thread