Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is wearing a hat in Rome a fashion faux-pas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that this may be an annoying question to some but I've not been able to find an answer to my question. Should tourists who do not wish to stand out as tourists wear hats in the middle of August while sightseeing? I've looked on multiple threads and various travel sites and all I could determine is that tourists should not wear baseball caps or silly berets. Being that my DH is follically challenged and that I absolutely need some protection from the sun and that the sun will be very intense during August what are our options?

I've not been able to find any information regarding hats...only that we shouldn't wear clothing that reveals our shoulders, knees and toes! LOL! And that our fashion should be dictated by current Italian fashion, as say some, or by comfort, so say others.

So the question is...to hat or not to hat?
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 09:41 AM

Why do you care, you'll never see the locals again (or recognize them) and your camera and guidebook will make you stand out.

Let's see: cancer risk or possible fashion faux pas in front of people who don't know me from Adam/Eve . . .
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 09:42 AM

In all honestly, in the summer when you are slow roasting in the middle of the Forum you will not care if its a faux-pas or not!
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 09:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
forget the fashion de jour.
Your health is more important
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 09:45 AM

<<you'll never see the locals again (or recognize them) >>

Oh yes you may!

Our receptionist was sunbathing topless at a hotel pool and found by deduction she was talking to one of the Senior Partners clients (Solcitors)
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 09:49 AM

Should tourists who do not wish to stand out as tourists wear hats in the middle of August while sightseeing?>

are you talking about in churches where that would be correct (incorrect IMO but) that men should not wear hats but women should

otherwise if your agenda is not to appear to be a tourist in August in Rome forget it - most real Romans are out of town during that hot month and only tourists are left - practically

anyway you just cannot not look like a tourist IMO
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 10:06 AM

My wife and sister in law wore the dumbest, ugliest hee haw hats in Rome last summer. No one noticed but me and the kids. Lots of people looked worse.

I looked dashing in my Scottish golf cap.
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 10:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Why would a tourist not want to look like a tourist? It's a tourist city and you are going to tourist sites. If you don't look like a tourist, you'll stand out for sure.
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 10:12 AM

Baseball caps are not a problem, but they should be removed when the wearer goes indoors.
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 10:12 AM

In mid August all important Romans are out of town. Even the Pope is away. So don't worry!
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 10:20 AM

If you would like to look dapper why not purchase a folding Panama?

http://www.hornetshats.com/f_hatview.php?link=Panamas

Far more flattering than a base ball cap.
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 10:26 AM
ira

Hi N,

First thing I did on our last Sept visit to Italy was to buy a hat at a souvenir stand.

The sun gets very hot.

It is not nice for men to wear hats in churches and restos.

Old Jun 15th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Sounds like a good idea ira! We couldn't figure out how to pack some of the hats we've seen w/o totally crushing the shape out of them. And we would definitely not wear a hat in a church or restaurant!

As far as looking like a tourist is concerned...the map, large water bottle and camera with multiple lenses might give us away!
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 12:09 PM

Sun hats are fine, IMO. I have one that has an open crown (not good for bald folks, though) that rolls up into a kind of cone shape, is flexible and doesn't crush. A baseball cap is not very good sun protection because it only shades your face, not your ears or neck.

When it's really hot, though, I find a hat only makes me hotter. I have often considered buying a small white folding umbrella to fend off the sun instead.
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

An umbrella would probably work wonderfully but it would make photography quite difficult. Hard to focus and adjust settings with one hand!
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 12:45 PM

An inane question considering that Borsalino is de rigueur amongst the fashion cognoscenti in Rome.

Where do some of you get these silly ideas?

Maybe they don't wear hats at the Trailer Park Motel where you live, but you will see hats at the Hassler and de Russie.

D-A-F-T!

Thin
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Actually, these ideas have come from searching the forums for information!
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 01:32 PM

There are sun hat styles that roll up to pack, both fabric and straw. Look at a travel store web site, Magellan or Travel Smith, for example, to get ideas. You don't have buy from them.

What do you wear at home for sun protection?

I'd worry more about sun damage than style.
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 01:34 PM

Well, Miss Thing, you were probably told that tourists wear BASEBALL CAPS in Rome, but who cares?

Wear what you want. You are in a BIG CITY. No one is going to look twice at you. Do you think city folk walk around wondering about your clothing choices? THEY DON'T!!!

Pickpockets may target you because you look stupid and gullible, walking around the Trevi Fountain with your purse hanging open or your husband's wallet sticking out of his back pocket. They may target you because you are wearing a Penn State cap. But, no one is going to point at you for wearing a hat in Rome.

Thin
Old Jun 15th, 2010, 02:01 PM

Locals can pick tourist out no matter how you try to conceal it. I have had a couple of bouts with skin cancer. I never leave home without a hat. Italy is our second home.

As mentioned before....In Rome in August pretty much the majority of people are tourists. The locals are at the beach with hats on My family is in Ischia which is a resort for Europeans and the Europeans on the beach wear hats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -