Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is Villa Athena in Agrigento Worth the Price?

May 18th, 2019, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

I am looking at stays in Agrigento this September. I am considering two places, Baglio Della Luna and Villa Athena. The former is listed at 134 euros and the latter at 590. Is it worth the extra cost to stay close to the sites? We are there for one night. Thoughts?
May 18th, 2019, 11:06 AM

If you decide on Foresteria Baglio Della Luna, make sure to book a room in the tower and not in the wings of the building, then you will be OK. We did not know it, stayed at the room in the wing and I hated it. Required serious maintenance and at least normal blankets (our blankets reminded me something similar to the army blankets, only the latter do not stink and those at Baglio Della Luna did.

The restaurant was OK for one day.
May 18th, 2019, 01:43 PM

Another good choice, also with views of lighted temples at night, is 4*Colleverde Park Hotel. Villa Athena is, I believe, 5*.The rooms are nice at Colleverde Park, like a business class hotel, TV with CNN( the only place we had it in Sicily.). The dining room provides really excellent meals and the staff went out of their way to make our two night stay wonderful. Much less expensive than Villa Athena. You can walk to the Archeological Museum from the hotel and the Temples are a little farther. There is a large garden/park at the hotel.Do not stay in the actual city of Agrigento, up the high hill above the Valley of the Temples, a little dicey in places.
May 18th, 2019, 04:43 PM

<<Do not stay in the actual city of Agrigento, up the high hill above the Valley of the Temples, a little dicey in places.>>

i could not agree more. Great advice!
May 19th, 2019, 04:00 PM

We'll be in Sicily in October and are planning to stay for one night, before touring the Valley of Temples. We were also considering Villa Athena, but it is really out of our budget. And Colleverde Park Hotel didn't really suit our taste. So, we're going to take a chance on a B&B in very close proximity to CPH, Dimora dei Templi. B&B Villa La Lumia also gets good reviews.
May 19th, 2019, 05:05 PM

Agree with HappyT..we stayed at Colleverde Park. Temple views are pretty distant but it was fine.....