Reload this Page >

Is Verona worth a 2 night stop over?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 09:46 AM
John B

I am planning a two week trip to Italy in September 2003 and have so far booked Santa Margherita/Cinque Terre, Florence, Venice and Lake Como. I was also planning a stop in Verona, between stays in Venice and Lake Como. I've been advised I shouldn't try to see too many cities in a two week visit; just relax and enjoy where your at. But, since I won't be visiting Rome, I thought it would be fun to see the Roman ruins in Verona. <BR>Colomba d'Oro would be my choice for a hotel if I stayed there. Any Rants OR Raves? Thanks for your help!

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 10:07 AM
charlene

well, as you are trying to have a relaxing trip, and yo have two weeks, go for it. Most of the short coach tours here do Florence, Venice and Pisa all in a long weekend, with a couple hour stop in Verona...You should love Cinque Terre also, and Lake Como is beautiful! Sorry, can't comment on hotel, as we stayed in Venice.

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 12:19 PM
Graziella

Hi John, it all depends what you like, Santa Margherite is a resort town and Cinque Terre is charming in as much as landscape, but on the other hand Verona in my opinion is a fantastic city. It has a lot to offer far behond Roman ruins. Much more, in my opinion that Cinque Terre...<BR>San Zeno is an outstanding example of romanic architecture, besides the Roman Arena there are fascinating architecture and art from the Rennaissance, the Duomo, the Piazza dei Signori, Il Palazzo del Comune, etc etc etc.<BR>Lots of tourist I grant you but there are even more in Cinque Terre...on the other hand in Santa Margherite you will be off season .<BR>Good luck.<BR><BR><BR><BR>I<BR>

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 12:20 PM
traveller

yes. Verona is lovely.

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 01:19 PM
claire

Absolutely! Verona is a wonderful city. I think in September you will have just missed the Verona Arena opera festival. But then the prices &amp; crowds should go down &amp; the weather should still be fine. We stayed in Aug. 2001 at the Residence Verona House, and I highly recommend it. http://www.residenceveronahouse.com<BR>Located across the street from the Castelvecchio and in the city center a few minutes walk from the Arena in the Piazza Bra. Check out the website's link to a Verona site that has lots of information on this lovely Italian city.

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 01:38 PM
Grandma

We just returned from Italy with a two nite stay in Verona at the Colomba d'Oro. You can definitely spend two days seeing the sights. If you drive, and stay at the Colomba d'Oro be certain to get explicit directions to parking when you check in. (We drove round and round and round!!)Parking is discounted for guests at the city underground parking garage. Hotel has great location, otherwise nothing special in my book. Nice &quot;local&quot; type restaurant across the street from the hotel if you don't feel like venturing far.

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 09:43 AM
John B

Thanks for the info everyone!! I've tried to e-mail Colomba d'Oro a few times but haven't received a response. Guess I'll just keep trying!<BR>Verona, here I come!