Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Is Tuillieres Gardens/Louvre area a good area for hotel? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/is-tuillieres-gardens-louvre-area-a-good-area-for-hotel-991371/)

Colleen64 Sep 9th, 2013 04:20 PM

Is Tuillieres Gardens/Louvre area a good area for hotel?

Planning a last minute trip to Paris in 2 weeks. This will be our first trip to Paris, celebrating my husband's 50th Birthday and our 25th Wedding Anniversary. Being our first trip to Paris we hope to experience all the typical tourist attractions, walk around, enjoy magnificent views and experience the Parisian lifestyle, bakeries and cafes. Understanding that it is Fashion Week and many preferred hotels are already booked, we have found a hotel, Hotel Brighton, right near the Jardin des Tuileries/short walk to Louvre. Does anyone know this area and is it safe? or would I be better off in a different area. There is very little availability in 5,6,7 arrondissement or St Germaine area at a reasonable rate, under 300 Euro.

denisea Sep 9th, 2013 04:31 PM

It is tourist heavy but certainly safe. I prefer the 5-7 but it is a busy time, so if you can book something, you probably want to do it. You will have good access to the Metro and very centrally located. You may want to check Trip Advisor for recent reviews on the hotel.

Pepper_von_snoot Sep 9th, 2013 04:41 PM

I like the area around the Sorbonne/Cluny Museum to Luxembourg Gardens/St. Sulpice.

That is the 5th-6th.

Catherine Deneuve lives in this area and it has that artsy drama chic feel to it.

You see women here going to Monoprix with a mink over a nightgown and the Klonopin bottles falling out of their Jerome Dreyfuss handbag.

Thin

nytraveler Sep 9th, 2013 05:00 PM

the area is near attractions but doesn;t have as much of a neighborhood feel as does the 4th through 6th.

Graziella5b Sep 9th, 2013 05:01 PM

I think it is a nice área to stay. Any WAY París is a walkable City and both buses and the metro are very good and easy to navigate. excellent plans and signaling.

emily71 Sep 9th, 2013 06:34 PM

Stayed at the Citidines Louvre my first time in Paris and loved it. Can walk almost everywhere and very convenient. While it is touristy, I would stay there again.

Colleen64 Sep 9th, 2013 07:49 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I waited to long and the Hotel Brighton is no longer available. Just looked an Citidines Louvre and it is out of my price range over $600/night. This certainly is a busy time and availability is scarce. Any suggestions that are somewhat reasonable (250EUR / 350 USD)?

kerouac Sep 9th, 2013 09:13 PM

Take a look at the Accor Hotels site (www.accorhotels.com). Since they operate the greatest number of hotels in Paris, you might find something of interest in their Mercure or Pullman categories, or perhaps the Adagio apart-hotels.

lanejohann Sep 10th, 2013 02:25 AM

we have booked hotel eiffel - turenne... 20 avenue tourville
two different couples we know have stayed there and were really happy...close to eiffel and close to good restaurants and fresh markets...
we booked it for february next year ... a triple room has set us back 984 euros for five nights
we wanted to have a more french experience rather than be further out in the cheaper districts

Gretchen Sep 10th, 2013 04:25 AM

Arr. 1-8 are generally considered central, and Paris is certainly safe.

mamcalice Sep 10th, 2013 04:39 AM

The Hotel Brighton is part of the Esprit de France group. It is a lovely chain. Try either the Hotel de Place de Louvre or the Hotel des Saints Peres (in the 6th). We have stayed many times at the latter and love it.

www.esprit-de-france.com/en

grandmere Sep 10th, 2013 05:43 AM

Have you tried Hotel le Regent (rue Dauphine), or Millesime, Danube, Marronniers on rue Jacob--all in 6th? All good locations.

annhig Sep 10th, 2013 05:48 AM

colleen,

for late booking i suggest going to TA, putting in your dates and then seeing what comes up. Then [this is what I do, anyway] look at the hotel's own website, and see what you think of it [and check the prices on their own website.]

finally go back to TA and go through to booking.com and read the reviews, select for area, price etc, and when you're happy, book, preferably with "free cancelation" terms.

that way you have a hotel booked while you look for something "better" if that's what you want to do.

Pepper_von_snoot Sep 10th, 2013 05:56 AM

I can recommend to you Hotel College de France on Rue Thenard in the 5th.

It is very hard to get a room in Paris during Fashion Week.

Thin

denisea Sep 10th, 2013 05:40 PM

Hotel de Fleurie and Hotel Louis II (both in the 6th) are not terribly expensive and might work for you.

Ackislander Sep 11th, 2013 02:36 AM

If you were middle class and French and not fashionistas, you would almost certainly do what Kerouac suggests.

You do not need to be in the arrondissements that border the Seine. The 14th has excellent connections to the most tired areas by Metro and bus and RER, for example.

Colleen64 Sep 11th, 2013 07:11 AM

Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions.

Annhig, I did exactly what you said and got a room although our room does have a cancellation fee. We booked a room at

Aviatic Saint Germain - 105 Rue de Vaugirard

Its further out then I wanted but its a room during Fashion Week!

Any tips, suggestions, comments regarding the area.

Another concern I have is that the website did not have a room available but the booking website did. I have never booked through them before. Is that common? Should I be concerned about my reservation.

annhig Sep 11th, 2013 11:28 AM

well done Colleen - we stayed on the other side of the Luxembourg Gardens and it's not really that far from a lot of the things you'll want to see.

booking.com is very reliable and I've never heard or read anything bad about them.

if you have any doubts, e-mail the hotel the direct and check they have your booking.

bardo1 Sep 11th, 2013 01:12 PM

The area is fine - especially for 2 weeks notice (and fashion week!). You'll need to Metro (short ride) to many tourist sites but there are many Metro lines/stops within a few blocks walk. Like Annhig said, you can always email (or even better, telephone) the hotel directly to put your mind at ease regarding your reservation.

Go to nearby Blvd. Montparnasse for many "nice" restaurant/cafe options. Also check out Cimetière du Montparnasse while in the neighborhood.

There are also other nearby streets with restaurants/cafes that will offer better value you should check out, including Rue du Cherche-Midi, Rue de Sèvres and Rue de la Gaité.

How long will you be in Paris?

Christina Sep 12th, 2013 09:14 AM

I would check with the hotel to make sure, it sounds like you are saying booking.com gave you a room but there were none available on the Aviatic's website itself. Yes, I would be concerned as I don't think booking.com has exact minute by minute availability details and perhaps it says you are booked subject to availability, they will let you know or something? I would definitely check. I used them once and don't remember anything like that, but I always check with the hotels to confirm when I have booked through a third party.