Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Is Tuesday afternoon the best time to buy Internaltional tickets (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/is-tuesday-afternoon-the-best-time-to-buy-internaltional-tickets-873988/)

JulTravels Jan 17th, 2011 04:03 PM

Is Tuesday afternoon the best time to buy Internaltional tickets

I know Tue and Wed are the best days to buy domestic tickets. Is the same true with international. Note I am not thinking of travel days, but actual purchase days.
Thank you.

29FEB Dec 1st, 2014 09:24 AM

This hasn't been discussed for awhile:

I've seen is denounced as rubbish, and quoted as airline gospel...?

29FEB Dec 1st, 2014 09:28 AM

**"..seen IT denounced, and ALSO quoted.."

sanderskn Dec 1st, 2014 09:45 AM

I've compared prices on many different days of the week and in my opinion it doesn't seem to make a difference.

hetismij2 Dec 1st, 2014 10:02 AM

To buy them or for flying? Our tickets to California were a lot cheaper for a Wednesday flight than a Thursday flight which was still cheaper than Fr,Sa,Su or Mo. Tuesday was never an option so I don't know what the price was for that.

29FEB Dec 1st, 2014 10:27 AM

^^"Note I am not thinking of travel days, but actual purchase days."

dotheboyshall Dec 1st, 2014 10:59 AM

If it is it won't remain long given yield management systems

greg Dec 1st, 2014 11:01 AM

"best day to buy tickets", even if has credibility, applies to certain flight segments, bought at certain time of the year, bought so many days ahead. It is a historical data taken place sometime in the past on trips likely irrelevant to you. And if you dig further into topic, the difference is often minuscule.

While not all "popular wisdom" can be validated, you can validate this one very easily that is relevant to the precise segment you plan to fly on specific travel dates. Just look at the exact itinerary on Monday. Then repeat again Tuesday afternoon, Wed, and so on. Collect data over several weeks. You then have relevant data on tickets you can actually buy right now. Does the data show low prices on Tuesday afternoon on flights you would actually take?

Christina Dec 1st, 2014 11:26 AM

I've never noticed that, but this is obviously an empirical question, just go onto some websites and check prices for a while and see for yourself.

DRJ Dec 1st, 2014 12:11 PM

Airlines make money when they sell tickets. When one seat is sold on a future flight the enormous computer system reconfigures the prognosis on that flight's capacity. This goes on continuously day and night. I can't imagine Tuesday being special.

IMDonehere Dec 1st, 2014 12:25 PM

There are days of the week when flights are usually cheaper but the pricing structure has changed dramatically over the years. Years ago, the weekly prices changed Tuesday night into Wednesday. But now prices are measured immediately by the general supply and demand and sometimes by how many times an individual goes to a site like Expedia to check on the price for a specific date and route.

nyse Dec 1st, 2014 05:00 PM

--sometimes by how many times an individual goes to a site like Expedia to check on the price for a specific date and route.--

---

So does that mean we should be clearing cookies before each search?
And someone checking on the same route could affect pricing for me?

PhillyFan Dec 1st, 2014 06:48 PM

It worked for us. Summer airfare to Europe for under 1,000!!

IMDonehere Dec 1st, 2014 07:47 PM

NYSE-I have read this and the experience happen to me, where the price went up within the same hour with direct contact with a carrier. I guess getting rid of cookies would help.

I was so pissed, I booked the flight with another airline for a few dollars more.

nyse Dec 2nd, 2014 04:31 AM

IMDone, so you're suggesting the carrier raised the price for you, on your computer, but not necessarily for someone else making the same search?

I do think I'll be more conscientious about clearing cookies!

IMDonehere Dec 2nd, 2014 06:21 AM

Yes, NYSE. In fact I erased all cookies last night, because I need to make a flight reservation today.

Last night I checked on prices and they were fine on Expedia but when I went to the Delta sight, they were higher.