Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is tube travel as claustrophobic as my friend tells me?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 1998, 06:35 PM
babs

My girlfriend told me about tube travel in London. It's mostly that there is no air down there as some of them are way down there. Is that true, as I am claustrophic. Also, do they have escalators?

Old Mar 30th, 1998, 07:06 PM
JOAN DOYLE

Dear Babs: First of all, yes the London Underground DOES have escalators at those stations which are really deep underground. (At others the flights of stairs are relatively short--and at still others the trains are running at ground level when you board them (Hammersmith Broadway comes to mind as an example). I wouldn't describe the air in the tunnel as fresh and exhilarating; but I've never felt claustrophobic about it. And it's really kind of difficult to go very far or for very long underground. If worse comes to worst you can always take a bus and SEE London. For heaven's sake, don't stay home over this. London is fabulous. Go and enjoy every minute of your visit. Joan

Old Mar 30th, 1998, 08:22 PM
tom

Babs,

I agree with the other respondent. The air isn't great, but its no big deal. Besides its Europe and everybody smokes anyway. Many of the staions are very large with shops and even palces to eat. You can always plan your trips later in the morning and early afternoon when there are less people. There are about 10,000,000 people in London and it sometimes seems that all of them are in the underground at the same time.

Wonderful alternatives:

1. Taxis...the best in the world. The drivers are professional, know their city and their history.

2. Double decker bus. Great opportunity to see the city above ground.

3. Walk, walk, walk. It isn't that far from Westminster Abbey down Whitehall to Trafalgar Square and on to the Tower. And if you need a rest, you'll probably only pass about 50 to 75 great pubs.

Hope you enjoy your trip!

Old Mar 30th, 1998, 11:08 PM
George Holt

There is no smoking allowed anywhere in the London Underground system, including trains, platforms and other station areas. As far as I know there is no smoking allowed on buses run on behalf of London Transport and there is no smoking on most commuter overground trains, though it is allowed on the platforms. Can't speak for the claustrophobia, I don't have that problem and to me the 'tubes' are simply a way of life. In my view the stations and walkways are quite spacious but the trains can get somewhat crowded (British understatement there!). I know claustrophobes who won't take a tube but it depends on your condition. Some don't like being underground and some don't like being cramped. Most underground tube stations have escalators. Some have lifts, notably Covent Garden and I think Russel Square. Buses run to most places the tubes run to and you can always get a taxi.

Old Mar 31st, 1998, 08:16 AM
Saul

I had the (mis)fortune to take the tube daily for 7 years. I never found it claustrophobic, but it can be VERY packed during the rush hours, which are the times to avoid if you can. Smoking is prohibited (since King's Cross) and while the air is not quite as fresh as the countryside, it's still breathable.
The Tube is comprehensive, reasonable value within Zones 1 and 2 (tourist area, essentially) and really, you can't get by without it. Taxis are amusing, the drivers have to have a certain amount of knowledge before they are licenced, and buses are OK in a sort of wait-half-an-hour-then-three-turn-up-in-a-row sort of way. But the Tube is probably the most useful for tourists.
Remember to "mind the gap" at Bank !

Old Mar 31st, 1998, 01:46 PM
Lori Whitmore

I am extremely claustrophobic, (can't possibly take the little elevators in the arch in St. Louis) and I had no problem whatsoever in the Tube. It was easiest way to get around London inexpensively. You'll be fine.

Old Mar 31st, 1998, 02:50 PM
Judy

I agree with the other postings, if you stay away from the worst of rush hour, tubes are not that bad. It's a really quick way to get around - you can get a map of the system and see what lines go where, and where the transfer points are - it's pretty easy to follow. You can get a daily pass for around $5 US that lets you ride any tube in the central couple of zones -this takes in pretty much all of the major attractions. A weekly pass is about $25 US and requires a passport type picture - the daily pass does not require a picture, you just buy it that morning (good 9:30 am until midnight.) The passes let you ride either tubes or busses. Have a great time - it's a WONDERFUL city!!!!!!

Old Mar 31st, 1998, 10:33 PM
kam

Remember the historic role the underground stations played during the bombings in WWII--a refruge!. I'm assumng you're OK on the plane coming to UK--well, I'd rather be in the deepest underground station with polite Londoners than on the American Airlines flight from New York .And, the air is not meadow fresh, but it's probably better than over the Atlantic in a 747! Don't worry--it's fast and painless! Enjoy. In all seriousness, some of the deepest stations are at Piccadilly--if you think you'll have a problem, try it out before you go there. Each station is slightly different. But, you'll be OK, I'm sure.

Old Apr 2nd, 1998, 01:57 PM
Leslie

I am extremely claustrobic, and I am indeed uncomfortable riding the tube in London, as well as the metro in Paris... any of them really. It's not unbearable, I am able to ride them... but I prefer to be above ground. I think the lifts in some of the tube stations are HORRIBLE! They are very difficult for me. If you must go down in one, go straight to the back (the doors will open up again at the opposite end that you entered. I just stare at that door, with my back to all the people, so I won't be aware of how many have crammed themselves in behind me.