Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is this too aggressive of an itinerary? London & disneyland paris

Old Aug 28th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Arrive London 15 Sept.

Depart London 19 Sept Via Eurostar to Disneyland Paris.

2 nights in Disneyland

21 Sept - depart Disneyland Paris via Eurostar for London

22 Sept 7:55 AM flight back to US from heathrow

2 adults and a one 4 year old.

I would like to browse paris for a day but the eurostar tickets from London to Paris are significantly more expensive than going directly to Disneyland.

I know it would make more sense to fly directly from Paris to US but the miles tickets are not attractive times/stops.

And yes, I hope to return to work on 23 sept.
Thanks.
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 08:15 AM

Well, I know what I would skip but you can't easily do that if you have already committed Disneyland to the child or if you want to go yourself.

If that is a given and if you must return to the States via London, I don't know what else to sugges
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 08:19 AM

suggest. You already have found decent transfers although you could fly CDG to Heathrow late on 21st if you want more time at Disney, then stay out at Heathrow that night.
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 08:44 AM

So you're saying it is feasible to fly into London and out of Paris? I would double check it.

Just a warning. I can understand going to Disney, but don't expect it to be like Disney World. We found it to be run down and a little disappointing.
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 09:10 AM

Just a comment - DL Paris is fine -- but not for two days/nights. Even w/a 4 yo you are not likely to need more than 7 or 8 hours there.

It is smaller than other Disney parks. I personally would NOT stay over night there, even if transport from London to DL was cheaper. I'd go into Paris, stay both nights there, and spend the major part of one day out at DL.
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

seems like this is the best to do. just do disneyland for one day and have a taste of paris. thanks!
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 04:16 AM

I don't know, we spent 3 days at Paris Disney and enjoyed it but 2 would have been fine- it probably depends what time of year you are there, queues for the rides are long during school holidays. With 2 days you won't feel that frantic pressure to rush around and get annoyed with the queue times. You might miss a lot with only 1 day.
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 04:26 AM

A 4 year old might get really tired with that much time at Disney. Most people I know say Disney is a much better experience starting about age 6
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 05:53 AM

With such a young child you will need lots of rest time. I suggest you make full use of the Disneyland hotel, get going early and take the child back for a nap when they get tired.

Janis is right DL Paris is smaller but still big enough to need some thought on pacing with such a young un.

I think young children spending time in central Paris will be bored and miserable.

Remember keep the kids are happy you will be too.
If they are miserable you might as well clock out and go home.

Good luck
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 06:25 AM

If you want to visit both Disneyland parks then you probably would need two days, to be honest. But obviously you have to weigh up whether you'd prefer to spend all your time at the parks or see less at Disney and spend a day in Paris.
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 08:10 AM

I have to correct my question. You said it is NOT feasible to fly into London and out of Paris? That I would double check. Most times we find open end similar or even cheaper depending on what cities they are.

We started going to Disney World when it opened. We didn't take my daughter until she was 4. IMO I wouldn't waste the second day at Disney when you have Paris at your feet. They have years to enjoy Disney as they get older. My daughter is 36 now goes every year.
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 11:47 AM

I would not commit to 2 days at Disney when yo could have one in Paris. (And there are a ton of things in paris that a 4 year old would love. Half of Disney is recreating things that actually exist in Europe. Why give the child the fake stuff when the real is right there to be enjoyed?)

and flights into London and out of Paris are easy - unless you are doing free tickets. But - it's probably way too late to do anything about it.
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 12:02 PM

"I think young children spending time in central Paris will be bored and miserable."

I totally disagree. The Luxembourg and Tuileries Gardens, river boats, Parc de la Villete/science museum, Open air double decker buses, etc - lots of things for kids . . . .

Do you live w/i reasonable distance of a US Disney Park? If so -- DL Paris will be a slight disappointment IMO. It is certainly OK, but not as much to see/do as Anaheim and MUCH less than Orlando. You might do better to take a 2 or 3 day trip to one of the US parks another time, and stick to seeing Paris on this one.
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 07:25 PM

Even with free tickets you can do open jaw. It depends on the airline.
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 04:15 PM

I see we have a good number of child psychologists willing to advise that a 4 year old somehow would not enjoy himself until he is 6. I have been a 4 year old at Disney (in Anaheim just after the opening in 1955) and can say that is ridiculous. A 4 year old will have a great time at DLP. My 4 year old daughter loved DLP.

The size of the park or overall fatigue means nothing to a 4 year old. You will probably be spending most of your time riding ¨It´s a Small World¨ and the nearby attractions anyway. A 4 year old can´t ride Space Mountain so most of that portion of the park will not interest him.

I do agree that one day should suffice. Should you want to venture into Paris, there are a good number of wonderful places in Paris to take a young child: Jardin d´Acclimation or Grévin are but two:

http://www.grevin.com/

http://www.jardindacclimatation.fr/
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 06:13 AM

As I mentioned before I agree that a 4 year old is old enough to enjoy DLP and that the second day should be in Paris. We waited until my daughter was 4 for DW and she totally enjoyed it. Maybe too much because she can't stop going. IMO one day is enough when you have Paris to spend the second day.