Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Is this to much to do in Italy? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/is-this-to-much-to-do-in-italy-94075/)

beth Nov 17th, 2000 02:23 PM

Is this to much to do in Italy?

We are planning a trip to Italy in June 2001. 5 of us are going which includes 2 children 6 and 10. Both are excellent travelers. Do you think this itinerary is to much. <BR> Rome- 3 night <BR> Florence- 4 nights <BR> Small town north of La Spezia to vist relatives- 2 nights <BR> Lake Garda- 2 nights <BR> Dolimites- 1 night <BR> Venice- 3 nights <BR>(flying into Rome out of Venice)

Maira Nov 17th, 2000 02:39 PM

It doesn't appear too ambitious, but I do wonder about the 4 days in Florence, the art capital of the world, with two kids. Not a great idea, unless you are already planning something of interest and variety for the kids. I would spend an extra day in Rome and take a day trip to Pompeii, a not-to-be-miss for a 10 yr. old. Hike the Vesuvius for extra points.

Ed Nov 17th, 2000 03:35 PM

Honest reaction? Way too much, especially with two young'uns. <BR> <BR>You may like to pack and unpack and move often into unfamiliar territory but most children don't. <BR> <BR>Two other thoughts: <BR>1) Rome two full days and Florence three full days is quite unbalanced. Even three days shortchanges Rome badly, but at least the balance would be a bit better. <BR>2) Have you taken into account how much time you'll be traveling and checking in and out ... as opposed to seeing sights or watching sunsets? <BR> <BR>Ed

Liz Nov 18th, 2000 01:45 PM

Beth, I think it's way too much moving around. Have you thought of maybe staying in one area and using that as your main base? I too travel with young kids and they really seem to enjoy having a place to call home even while travelling! My 2 girls were 8 & 9 years old the last time we were in Florence and loved all the art! But they have been trained to appreciate it. Show the kids books of some of the artists you'll see before you leave and they will get excited to see the real thing up close. Have fun! <BR>Liz

ann Nov 19th, 2000 04:15 AM

Although it is occassionally a nice break to spend two or three nights in one place, it is not a necessity unless your trip is primarily for rest. If you are traveling to see new things then moving around is the way to do it. Last summer I (and a teenager) spent three weeks in Europe and only spent four "double nights" - everything else was one night in each place. A little tiring but worth it. We were driving thought (mostly) so didn't spent lots of time getting from trains to hotel which does eat up a lot of time. It seems the majaority of people on this forum think to have a worthwhile trip you need to park yourself in only a few places and really "see" the area. But another opinion is that, if planned well, moving around (within reason) can be very rewarding.

ken Nov 20th, 2000 09:47 PM

I think its too ambitious and too much movement will cause a blur. Take some time and enjoy a quiet moment or place for a few days. Kids will tire of sightseeing and will enjoy a picnic without being drug around seeing art and old churches! Enjoy a gelato

Paulo Nov 21st, 2000 09:39 AM

I agree that the plan is "unbalanced" regarding Rome and Florence. On one hand there's much more to visit in Rome and on the other kids will like it better. A 4/3 night division would look better. If one leaves Rome mid-afternoon and plans to leave Florence early in the morning after a 3-night stay would give 2 full days in the city which IMO is quite enough if you consider the kids. <BR> <BR>If you rent a car when leaving Florence, though, by no means I think you're overdoing it. We traveled many times with either or both of our daughters and an almost 2-night stay average along the way had worked out perfectly for us. Having a car one one minimizes the luggage handling and taxi transfers nuisances and checking in/out from hotels is not that straining. <BR> <BR>From Florence you may plan to visit San Gimignano (a kids must) enroute to La Spezzia. The total driving time should read around 2:30 hours. Kids also have fun in Pisa which may be visited out of La Spezia. From La Spezzia to Lake Garda/Verona (the city is also a kids must) one may plan to visit Parma shortly, enroute. Once again, the total driving time should read around 2:30 hours. From Verona, say, to Ortisei it's no more than 2 hours and from Ortisei to Venice through Cortina it would be a very nice drive maybe a shade over 3 hours (one could stay in Corvara instead, to balance the two travelling times better). <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR>

Beth Nov 21st, 2000 02:35 PM

Thanks for the advice. We planned on <BR>staying in Rome 3 nights and Florence for 4 because on the last day in Florence we will be renting a car and traveling the coutryside. We are renting a car in Florence (already thought about a stop in Pisa) and dropping it off in venice. I thought Rome and Florence back to back might be much with the kids but the rest of the trip (until Venice) should be more relaxing. Small town then Lake Garda and Garderland, Dolimites. I know my 6 year old loves new places and he has traveled around although not to Europe yet. <BR>Again Thanks <BR>Beth