Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is this the typical way to be charged for a driver and guide in Czech Republic?

Feb 9th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

I have been in contact with a private licensed guide in Prague. I am interested in using her services for an excursion out of Prague. Her charges for the driver and herself will be calculated on a per km basis and hotel charge for the driver and guide. No other charges, except, naturally, my tip. Has anyone encountered such a way of charging? I have sent her an e-mail as to what I approximate the charge for the kms will be just to make sure we are on the same page. I am awaiting a reply. I do not want any surprises at the end of the line. Thanks.
Feb 10th, 2005, 05:46 AM
ira

topping
Feb 10th, 2005, 06:22 AM

I can't say what is typical, but when we hired guides with cars and drivers last year in Prague and in Vienna, we had already discussed and determined what the destination and itinerary would be, and we were quoted a flat fee for each day, including the car, the driver, and the guide. They already knew what the distance and the car expenses would be and presumably worked that into the fee.

Admission fees and lunches were extra, so were the tips.
Feb 10th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Elaine, thanks for always replying to my questions. From reading all of your replies to others I feel as though I know you.
I have been trying to get a firm price, etc., from this licensed guide, but I have not been successful. I am still awaiting a reply to confirm the per km rate and what it will cost approximately in U.S. dollars for approximately so many kms. I did check the Michelin site as to the approximate number of kms that will be traveled in toto. To me, her rate for the period of time I will be using her services seems too good to be true. But then, this is the Czech Republic. I feel so unsure of myself when it comes to hiring someone in this manner. In the past, I had the hotels make the reservations for me. Since I will be traveling on to Austria after the Czech Republic, I am hesitant to start booking my trip, for I am setting aside a few days for this excursion. To me, it just seems to take so long to get answers to my questions. I guess when you are waiting it always seems to take too long.
I have been reading on this site that you will be leaving for the Czech Republic soon. Wishing you the very best of trips. I know you are going to have a fabulous time. I will be anxious to read about it.
ellie
Feb 10th, 2005, 01:14 PM

Hi
should you wish to have the contact info of the guide we used in Prague last year (who provided the car and driver) post here and I'll post her website again

If you happen to have my Prague file already, Dana Chaloupka is mentioned in there