Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   is this OK to do Re: London Hotel (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/is-this-ok-to-do-re-london-hotel-661113/)

esg Nov 28th, 2006 03:31 AM

is this OK to do Re: London Hotel

Very close to booking hotel for London this summer. Like the Radisson Edwardian Berkshire Hotel(location, price). Will be travelling with wife and 4 kids (13-19) Will probably get 2 King deluxe rooms. Cannot afford 3 rooms and don't want apartment. Can only "officialy" book 2 per room. How awkward/embarrasing is it to squeeze a third in the room. If its a king bed we can squeeze three on (we've done this before--but a rollaway in at least one of the rooms would be ideal. Should this be mentioned upon booking with Radisson? Should I be truthful when getting to the hotel? Can a I ask for a rollaway bed ahead of time or when arriving? In other words how strict are hotels in "enforcing" two per room maximum. Thanks, Elliot

alanRow Nov 28th, 2006 03:35 AM

< is this OK to do Re: London Hotel >

No it isn't - we can start with breaking fire regs & defrauding the hotel and then go on from there.

caroline_edinburgh Nov 28th, 2006 03:39 AM

Wouldn't the more obbvious thing to do be to book 3 rooms at a less posh hotel ?

esg Nov 28th, 2006 03:41 AM

OK, I understand legal implications--just trying to get handle on what really happens from others experience. I'm sure I'm not the first to deal with this. In US have added one over max per room at times(Disney)-- never a problem when arrived at hotel. Why would hotels have rollway beds available?

RosieinOz Nov 28th, 2006 03:44 AM

Hi esg
I don't know much about it but we've just booked a hotel for next May and it sounds great. A friend has stayed 5 times! Here'sthelink.
http://www.ridgemounthotel.co.uk/index.htm
..I don't know how the rooms configure but they may be worth a call...they were very helpful to us and may have a suggestion re your numbers.
Rosie :)

nona1 Nov 28th, 2006 03:57 AM

No, we get a lot of these queries here and it seems as though it may be common to squeeze in extra people in America.

It's not done in Britian. The hotel will throw you all out if they find out.

Try booking 3 normal rooms instead of King deluxe rooms, or finding a cheaper hotel.

nona1 Nov 28th, 2006 03:59 AM

If you call the hotel they may have rooms that sleep more than 2 people or may indeed be able to arrange a small childs bed in an adults room - but these are really for small children and not hulking great teenagers.

the point is that you have to pay for everyone you are bringing. You can't just sleep 3 in a bed and pay for 2.

Grcxx3 Nov 28th, 2006 04:03 AM

Are you trying to book thru a website - and the website won't let you do more than 2 per room?

Or have you actually talked to the hotel and they have said only 2 per room?

Many times, I have not been able to confirm more than 2 per room thru a website, but upon talking directly to the hotel have made the arrangements with no problem.

Grcxx3 Nov 28th, 2006 04:05 AM

hit the post button too soon....

Sometimes when adding a 3rd person there has been no charge, and sometimes there has been a charge. But even with the charge, it was cheaper than another room.

shandy Nov 28th, 2006 04:14 AM

If the hotel allows an extra in the room on a rollaway, it is mentioned on the site (plus the extra charge for an extra guest). This hotel obviously doesn't offer this option. Their web site comes up with a very definite (in bright red) that 3 in a room exceeds fire regulations. I'm sure that if there was a fire and something happened to a member of your family you would be the first one to say "why did they let us have 3 in the room if it wasn't safe". Don't forget that rooms in England/Europe are generally much smaller than the States, so 3 in a room may well be quite a tight fit as compared to the States and thus why they have to consider the fire regulations.

Regardless of the above (a situation I hope would never happen to anyone,) do you really want to chance turning up the hotel and be told that two of the family can't stay and there are no other rooms available. If you, as most people would, say we are all leaving to find somewhere we can stay together, then I think the hotel would have an excellent argument to still charge you the first night's room charges as you obviously knowingly broke the terms of your agreement with them.

As previously said by another poster, just book three rooms at a cheaper hotel. As far as I am concerned a classier hotel counts for nothing if I have to share a bed with my teenage children, and I can't really imagine them possibly wanting to sleep with their parents at their age. A comfortable and roomy bed is the single most important item in a room in my opinion. Actually a clean bathroom probably is but you get my drift.

Lori Nov 28th, 2006 04:30 AM

Why is it that so many people think rules are not for them ? As it has been explained over and over European hotels tend to me far more strict about occupancy in rooms. Aside from the fact that rooms are usually small to start with they also charge extra for rollaways if it is allowed.

If you cannot afford 3 rooms at the hotel you chose then downgrade a little and get 3 elsewhere. In the end you will be better off. A 19 yr. old is not a "kid" either and will certainly take up as much space as the parents will.

Fire laws are just that LAWS. If one of your family were injured or killed in a fire because of overcrowding what would you do (sue ?)

Go with a less expensive hotel, get 3 rooms and more important 3 bathrooms !! With teenagers that is a Godsend.

esg Nov 28th, 2006 05:07 AM

Thank you for all your replies, especially Grcxx3( I took your advice!). I've learned a great deal-- really didn't think I was defrauding but now see the point of rules. I spoke with Radisson by telephone and they do allow 3 per room as per their fire code (with no additional charge). It does pay to call and speak to someone as opposed to doing all research online. Elliot

Grcxx3 Nov 28th, 2006 05:57 AM

esg - so glad it worked out for you!!!

I agree with all the other posters that trying to "sneak" more than the allowed number of people into a room is just plain wrong - for many reasons. But I have run across several hotel web pages that are not very clear about the number of people allowed in a room. That is why I prefer to call the hotels directly.

This Christmas, we have an 18 hour layover in Frankfurt and I have booked a day-room at the Sheraton. I have paid extra to be on the club/executive floor. When I asked the representative (at the Frankfurt Sheraton - NOT an 800 number) if it would be a problem to have 4 of us in the room for the day, his response was "no problem." He made a notation that there would be 4 of us and that we would be arriving very early in the morning - and this notation was included in my email confirmation.

One final note - the only problem we have ever had with fitting more than 2 in a room is with respect to breakfast. Often, the room rates only included breakfast for 2 and we had to pay an additional amount for kids. Might want to check into that.

PS - Our kids are now too old to share a room with us (young teens) and they get their own room. More expensive, but much more enjoyable for everyone!!! And as Lori said - that extra bathroom by itself is worth the price of the room!!

Have a great trip. Your kids will love London!

happytotravel Nov 29th, 2006 09:05 AM

What I meant to say that at most nice hotels here, you can ask for nearly anything with in reason and they will give it to you, even rate reductions. So I do not find it surprising that Americans would not understand the European hotels. Be easy on us Americans, we are learning. Thank you