Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Is this OK about Paris? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/is-this-ok-about-paris-126332/)

Duke May 26th, 2001 12:49 PM

Is this OK about Paris?

We are going to Paris in mid-July and have reserved a room at the Quality Inn in the 15th. (I know that we should have reserved a room in one of the hotels with aura and all that). But we are trying to save some money when we can. <BR> <BR>Anyway, I want to know is it reasonable for us to walk to the Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Louvre, etc.? From the way it looks, most of the big attractions are in this triangular area anyway. <BR> <BR>Is it OK that I've reserved this motel room? <BR> <BR>Also, how is EuroDisney in Paris? My 13-year-old daughter wants to go when we get there. <BR> <BR>Thanks. Only serious responses please. I'm only looking for information. I've never been there before.

Brian Kilgore May 26th, 2001 01:17 PM

I have no idea whereyour hotel is, but... <BR>once you get to the Eiffel tower,you can walk to the louvre and to the Arc with no trouble. <BR> <BR>Wear good shoes, break them in before you leave home, and plan to walk long distances, partly because everything is so intereting on the way. <BR> <BR>Talk time to figure out the Metro (subway) systems, because it is great for toruists. Plan your days by taking the subway a fair distance in some direction, and then walk back toward your hotel over the course of the day. Or reverse the plan, so you take the metro home after your feet wear out. <BR> <BR>BAK <BR> <BR>

greg May 26th, 2001 03:17 PM

Since you mentioned Quality Inn, I am assuming that you are coming from the US. <BR> <BR>Unless you are REALLY into walking, I am hoping you are not planning to do all these by foot. While doable, it is unlikely to be a good trade off of your time vs money spent. The public transportation system, especially metro, are so good, fast, and affordable it is a sin not to make good use of them to maximize the value of your visit. It can be quite muggy and hot in July also. <BR> <BR>Like previous poster said, where in 15th you are staying makes difference. If you are closer to the Parc des Expositions at the south end, you are quite far from really anything. You connection to the "civilization" would be few metro stops away. It would not be fatal to stay at a hotel away from attractions, you only need to rely more on metro and buses and some fraction of an hour to getting things done.

Melissa May 26th, 2001 03:35 PM

Are you asking if you can walk to the Eiffel Tower, etc FROM your hotel, or just walk to each in one day? The fastest way to any place in paris is the metro. If you're looking to walk to these places so that you can discover Paris' little nooks & crannies, then that's a tough call. <BR> <BR>Not sure how into walking you & your family are. I took my family on a little stroll from the Arc all the way down the Champs Elysee, stopped to ride the big ferris wheel, through the Tuileries and to the Louvre. Then off to the left to Au Pied de Cochon. It was an easy walk in that it's mostly downhill and is a straight shot, but it can be long if you're not into walking much or are really un-fit. <BR> <BR>If you get tired during your walk, you can always just catch the bus or the metro. Will you have a Fodor's guidebook or an Eyewitness guide? That really helped on our walk. <BR> <BR>

lisa May 26th, 2001 05:06 PM

Went to EuroDisney a few years ago. I'm a Disney-a-holic. My husband and I even went to Disney World for our honeymoon. We had both been to Paris before so we thought EuroDisney would be a great idea. It was terrible. The food was unedible, the people were incredibly rude. I felt violated when standing in line. It was frustrating that line etiquette is obeyed. The architecture was nice, but with the exception of Space Mountain (different than Disney Land) which was the best ride I had ever been on, skip it. It was sooooo not worth it. Keep in mind, all this from someone who finds Parisian's incredibly friendly. I love France and the people. The people at EuroDisney were not French. They were the rudest people in Europe. Also, they definately weren't American either. It was dirty too.

Duke May 27th, 2001 01:03 PM

Thanks very much for the replies so far. They are very helpful. I will take all of the information and put it to good use. By the way, our motel's address is (or at least the address we've been givenis): 371 rue de Vaugirard. <BR> <BR>Any other information would be appreciated. <BR> <BR>Thanks again

Gretchen May 27th, 2001 02:45 PM

Go to maporama.com and enter your address (after navigating for Paris if need be--my link is already set). Your hotel is very near Jardin du Luxembourg. The Metro is a user friendly means of transport in order to get to areas you want to walk in.

clairobscur May 27th, 2001 03:03 PM

<BR>Actually, his hotel isn't close to the Luxembourg. Rue de Vaugirard is a very long street, and the 371 seems to be situated somewhere in the middle of the 15th arrondissement. <BR> <BR>It's very difficult to advise you about walking from your hotel to the monuments, since what people consider as a "reasonnable" walk is widely different from one person to another. I would consider it's fine, but I know a lot of posters would think otherwise. I guess the best way is to check a Paris map and judge by yourself if the distances involved are "walkable" by your standarts. Also, as several people pointed out, you can easily use the metro to go wherever you want. I think the closest station should be "Convention".

linda May 27th, 2001 03:35 PM

Duke, I found Disneyland Paris to be clean friendly and enjoyable. It is the equivalent of the Magic Kingdom. You might need most of the day, but not all day and night . It might be something familiar for you and your daughter, therfore a nice break from so many new(and of course wonderful)things while traveling. I often try to help with Disney Paris questions and people may think that I am much more pro Disney than i actually am, but it is worthwhile if there is a need you are meeting by making this excursion. I would rather spend a day there than to go home with my children thinking that they have missed an opportunity of a lifetime. It is also an chance to have your daughter part of your itinerary planning. <BR> <BR>Have a good trip! <BR> <BR>linda