Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cheap flights in Italy (looking for Reggio Calabria)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2003, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all!

So, I'm just dying to go back to the Aelioan islands and the way to make this work is for us to fly from either Brussels/Amsterdam into Reggio Calabria.

Well, I'm having mild sticker shock at the prices,

I figured we could get to Milan or Rome cheaply and fly from there -- driving is not an option due to time.

But I can't find how people fly from Milan or Rome to Reggio Calabria with out paying a few hundred bucks. I checked Europe by air and while they list it as a destination, there are no flights schuduled.

I guess I'm looking for the Jet Blue or Southwest of Italy. Anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks

Beth
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 12:50 AM

Volare Airlines has flights from Brussel to Catania (Sicily) or Napoli.
check on www.volareweb.com

Did you think about hydrofoil or ship from Napoli?
SNAV, ALILAURO and SIREMAR are the companies operating to the Aeolian Islands.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 03:21 AM
cmt

I don't know the anweer to your question. However, are you sure it wouldn't be better to fly to Palermo instead of Reggio, then just take the train east to Milazzo and get the to the Aeolian islands from there? Or fly to Catania and travel to Milazzo from there (but might have to change in Messina).
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 04:39 AM

Forget Reggio.

Catania looks a cheaper bet than Palermo with Volare - €80 + tax on some dates.

Besides the hydrofoil route from Milazzo you can also go from Messina in high season.

There are also direct hydrofoils from Palermo in summer - if you choose to fly there.

Steve
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 07:09 AM
GAC

An alternative is to fly into Catania, then take the daily DIRECT Giuntabus airporter bus at 16:00 to Milazzo (arrive 18:00), and then take the Siremar car ferry (18:30) to Lipari (arrive 20:30) or the Snav (?)19:00 hydrofoil (arrive 20:00). The airporter bus costs approx. Euro 10.33 and runs from April through September/October.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 07:12 AM
GAC

www.giuntabus.it
Catania airport to Milazzo port runs from April 1 through September 30, according to the web site.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 07:22 AM
GAC

Frome June 16 through September 14 only, Siremar has a hydrofoil from Milazzo at 18:10 (arrives Lipari 19:05) which connects with the incoming Giuntabus airporter bus from Catania airport. Hydrofoil costs approx. Euro 11, twice the cost of the (more scenic) Siremar car ferry which leaves at 18:30 but which takes twice as long to reach Lipari. If you miss the last hydrofoil to Lipari, Hotel La Bussola is a very clean, modest, reasonably priced two star hotel with air conditioning in Milazzo only 400 yards from the port. I stayed there last year and can highly recommend it for an overnight.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks guys! I did find Volare last night and that solves the problem for the most part.

The issue is with Reggio Calabria, there is a boat from the town to the islands and I liked that idea with Catinia you need to do the bus or car thing first. But, it's just to pricey. And if we leave from Milazzo we can take the ferry which is so much nicer than a hydrofoil IMHO

I guess Palermo is always an idea too for the plane to the boat idea.

Does anyone know how dependable Volare Air is? Will they have flights for sure next summer? There is nothing on their website.

Thanks for the help! I'm so excited. I love these islands!

Cheers,

Beth
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 11:32 AM
GAC

I myself am very partial towards the car ferry over the hydrofoil, for the following reasons:

1. Breathtaking panoramic views from open top deck (versus no view from the hydrofoil);
2. Much better stability (against sea sickness)
3. Nearly half the cost (but twice the time!)
4. You can wander about the ferry (versus being stuck in a hydrofoil's seat)

Flying into Reggio Calabria will almost certainly be more expensive. You could fly Air One into Lamezia Terme, but would then have to take the train south to Reggio and then the direct hydrofoil to Lipari. Catania airport is the best flying option.

If you don't mind an overnight on the car ferry, you could fly into Naples and take the SIREMAR boat at 21:00, arriving next morning in Lipari at 9:35. This trip is most rewarding, as the boat lets passengers and cargo off at Stromboli, Ginostra, Panarea, Salina, Lipari, Vulcano and finally Milazzo. You could even get off before Lipari, stay the day, and proceed to Lipari the same afternoon, by either hydrofoil or ferry. The ferry Vittore Carpaccio has very basic sleeping cabins with stacked bunks, and also reclining seats which can be reserved.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

GAC!

Thanks so much!!!!! The one time we went to Lipari et al, we took the ferry there as the sun was setting and it was amazing. We took the hydrofoil back (I was so excited to go on one) and it was such a disapointment.

Hey, you know w ton about the Aelioan Islands. Where do you stay. I stayed on Lipari, but was thinking of giving somewhere else a shot. Maybe the on with a P (don't remember the name). Any advice.

Thanks!

Beth
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 12:16 PM
GAC

I stayed at the Carasco on Lipari (the King of Hotels on the Islands, as far as I'm concerned). Do consider staying on a different island, even if for only one night, to experience the night life after the day trippers have left on the last hydrofoil bound for Lipair or Milazzo. Panarea is very "yuppy" but I fear not terribly "genuine". The Hotel Raya is expensive but well known. I myself would choose to stay on Salina (Hotel Signum or Hotel l'Ariana) or possibly on Filicudi (Hotel La Canna; check their web site). If you want to hike Stromboli, it makes sense to stay overnight there as well.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks!

I have to say, I did the Stromboli hike once, and that was enough in the summer heat and I run 30 miles a week. I also think my boyfreind would die. So, that is out. But the rest of your suggestions are great.

OK, two more questions. Which island has the nicest beaches for swimming and do you know anything about the diving there. We did not do it last time, but wanted too.

Thanks so much

Beth

Old Aug 13th, 2003, 01:35 PM
GAC

I don't have any info on diving, other than to direct you to a good source of information such as Cadogan's Guide to Sicily or the Rough Guide to Sicily, and to the Lipari Tourist Board.

As far as beaches are concerned, there aren't really any long, sandy beaches, since the Islands are volcanic, and the sand is largely black. On Lipari, there is the Spiaggia Bianca, north of Canneto Beach, which is very popular (the white talcum from the nearby quarries is dissipating slowly). Pollara Beach on Salina is very beautiful (scenes from IL POSTINO were filmed there). There are swimming coves off of Panarea which attract a lot of cognoscenti. Filicudi is wonderful for swimming because of its remote location and sparse population. Vulcano, Lipari, Panarea and Stromboli tend to be overrun in July and August.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 05:45 PM

Hi, I took Volare last year in Sept from Rome to Catania, and then from Catania to Venice. Reliable and rather inexpensive. Catania airport is a challenge. Way too small for the numbers of folks arriving and departing. Photo finish when we departed on a Sat morn.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks

Beth