Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is this guided daytrip to Segovia and Avila a good value?

Jun 11th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Original Poster

I am interested in seeing both of these cities, but I have limited time.
What I think likely is that if I try to do these two cities in one day on my own, I would succumb to laziness and only do one. Not that this would be bad, but I would really like to see both.
Anyway, for those who are qualified to judge, how does this tour seem for value?
http://www.viator.com/tours/Madrid/A...66-2140JTEMA11

Have you ever done these two cities in one day on your own, without renting a car?
Jun 12th, 2009, 12:37 AM

I've done both more than once. Each consumed a full day so that we could enjoy our time and see things, explore the back streets and shops, as well as all the normal tourist haunts, but if you must, you must. The value is what you place on it, not someone else. Our values are all different.
Jun 12th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Original Poster

Robert, that's a good answer, as I may prefer to linger rather than rush.
Jun 12th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Original Poster

If I had to decide between a daytrip to Segovia, Avila, or Toledo, which would you choose?
Jun 12th, 2009, 04:52 AM

"The value is what you place on it, not someone else. Our values are all different."

Robert's commen is so true. We sometimes forget this.
Jun 12th, 2009, 06:11 AM
yk

Hi WillTravel, I went to Toledo and Segovia last year (and according to my brother, to Avila when I was pretty young). I would pick Toledo over Segovia, simply because there's a lot more to see there. I also enjoy the view; the terrain Toledo sits on is quite impressive. Some attractions remain closed for now, such as the Alcazar. Maribel recently posted a response on one of the threads, listing which sites are open and which are still closed.
Jun 12th, 2009, 06:17 AM

I took that particular tour a couple years ago and on a separate day went to Toledo on my own. The tour is rushed, the included meal wasn't so great. You spend very little time in Avila, literally cutting through from where the bus drops you on one side to where it picks you up on the other. You do get to stop for about 10 mins outside Avila to take a photo of the walls.

More time in Segovia and a decent tour of the Alcazar. Time on your own to walk along the aqueduct as long as time allows (maybe 1/2 hour?) I can say I saw both cities, so if that's the point in taking the tour, do it. But I don't consider it the best time spent.

If I had it to do over, I would spend at least TWO days in Toldeo...much more to do and see, much more interesting and attractive and I'd love to see it overnight when the day trippers are gone.
Jun 12th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Amyb, glad to hear your first-hand report. I think I wouldn't want to be that rushed.

For the Toledo idea, I could spend 2 nights there, if I head to Toledo from Madrid airport rather than going into Madrid. Given my itinerary, I would head back to the Madrid airport about 2.25 days later. I have been to Madrid before, although I've certainly not seen it all, but the idea of a couple days in Toledo sounds good.
Jun 12th, 2009, 03:18 PM

Of the three I enjoyed Segovia the most, followed by Toledo. I did 3 nights in each of them, and did a day trip to Avila from Segovia. The walls in Avila were pretty awesome but the rest of the town was nothing compared to Segovia and Toledo. If I had to choose one it would definitely be Segovia. And I would not try to do Segovia and Avila in one day. Have a look at my photos of them - http://www.pbase.com/annforcier/spai...lamanca_toledo
Jun 12th, 2009, 03:44 PM

You could look at this the following way.. that if I were going elsewhere with out-of-town guests, and Segovia and Avila were on the WAY, I would certainly stop, let them take photos of the wall.. cross the town, and move on if time were pressing.

Nothing wrong with that.. it is still impressive, but just a more superficial visit.

Sometimes we just don't have time to do the depth the place merits, but a little is till better than nothing for some.

It would be hard to decide for you, but I have done similar stops on the way to a further evening stopover when those towns were NOT our final destination.

The price certainly is reasonable.
Jun 12th, 2009, 04:00 PM

we spent a few hours in Avila when touring northern Spain some years [all right, many years] ago.

I remember the remains of the walls and the remains of st. teresa, which seemed as numerous as the walls, but rather more gruesome! not at all nice.
Jun 12th, 2009, 08:32 PM

Hi Willtravel,

I have also been to both Segovia and Toledo. What a hard choice.

Toledo: If you are into cathedrals, the one in Toledo is simply stunning. It quite takes your breath away. If you are interested in Art & El Greco, the works you can see there are amazing. At night, it feels mysterious when you walk through dark medieval streets. Taking the touristy train/tram in the evening gives you some great views of the city from a distance. Famous for marzipan and has shops filled with beautiful selections. It was pretty quiet at night, people mostly hanging out, eating, etc.

Segovia: A lovely central plaza is lined with little shops and restaurants. There are lovely views of the surrounding countryside; reminded me of bits of Tuscany. Walking into Segovia and down to the Alcazar is very pleasant & the Alcazar is really pretty. Segovia's cathedral is Gothic on the outside and simple on the inside. Segovia is known for roast suckling pig, so you could indulge in that if you are a meat eater. I did not spend a night in Segovia. It looked like there might be more people out walking there.